“Good but noisy if there is a party going on on the floor above.”

Holiday Inn Peterborough West
Ranked #9 of 27 Hotels in Peterborough
UK
“Good but noisy if there is a party going on on the floor above.”
Reviewed 12 January 2012

We had an enjoyable time here twice in 2010. Overall very good value and the food was excellent. Our first stay was spoiled somewhat by the antics going on above on the Saturday night of our first visit. The management did their best but it seemed impossible.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Kerry
Reviewed 6 January 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights recently on a business trip.
The hotel itself is nothing special but service was good and the attraction for me was that it has a leisure centre and gym.
The bedroom was fine with 1 of the widest beds I have seen in a hotel.
I only had cereal for breakfast but the cooked breakfast looked appetising.
I had dinner which again was fine, nothing special but no complaints either.
My only gripe is that you have to pay for wi-fi in your room. You do get 30 mins free in the lobby or bar/restaurant area.
It was my first time staying in Peterborough so I can't rate it against other hotels there. I have to go back to Peterborough and have asked that I be booked in to the Holiday Inn Peterborough West again as it is perfectly adequate for a business traveller.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
384Chris_B, Manager at Holiday Inn Peterborough West, responded to this review, 9 January 2012
Dear DeclanKerry

Thank you for your comments, I am pleased to hear that your stay was pleasent and comfortable. I was also pleased to hear that you will be returning to us again when next on business in peterborough. I look forward to making your stay even more comfortable and ensuring that our hotel is a must stay choice for you in the future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 December 2011

We stayed at this hotel over Xmas, from check-in to departure the standard of service was excellent. Our room was very spacious , extremely well appointed and excellent standard of cleanliness.The Xmas gift outside our room om Xmas morning was a lovely surprise. The whole hotel was clean and bright and very welcoming. Breakfast was well laid out and with a very wide variety of choices. On our return on Xmas evening, after spending the day with family, the bar was empty but we were served with drinks and not made to feel that it was an inconvienience.
Overall, an extremely pleasant experience and we will certainly stay again when visiting family in the area. Thank you for contributing to our lovely Xmas holiday.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Lorna B

Thank you for your kind comments. I was pleased to hear you liked your Christmas stocking that Santa left for you outside your room, even though your away from home you still deserve a little gift.

I look forward to welcoming you back next year.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2011

We had our work xmas do last week - a Hollywood theme - if your idea of fun is being herded into a room and made to sit through some 'entertainment' before being served the smallest portions of food (and I'm not a big eater but I was starving at the end) imaginable whilst sitting in a cold draught, then witnessing the 'games' involving blindfold drawing, tongue twisters. bras and condoms then this is the place for you. Add to that wine at £7 a glass and you have a recipe for one of the most expensive, tacky nights out in Peterborough.

Apparently the weekends are even more expensive - in these cash strapped times places are going to have to offer value for money and quite frankly this event doesn't.

One of our party summed it up when they said it was like Butlins but not so classy.

A truly vile night out - purile, sexist and outdated - never again

Room Tip: Go to another venue
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Dear S D

I am sorry to hear that your experience was not as you expected. We work hard all year to make our Christmas parties fun and enjoyable for all who attend, for which the majority leave happy to return the following year.

If you would like to contact me to discuss your experience in person I would be happy to listen to your comments.

We have over 7000 guests attend our parties each year, however I would like to resolve your issues and restore your faith in the Holiday Inn Peterborough West so that all 7000 left my property satisfied.

I look forward to hearing from you

Kind regards
Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 December 2011

We had the pleasure of attending the Oscar's Christmas party Night on Friday 9th of December and I'd like to share our experience with you.On entering the hotel we noticed that the red carpet was down and we were swiftly guided to our destination out of the cold. First impressions were good as we noted that there were plenty of friendly staff on hand.We ordered a drink at the bar and were served straight away. No big feat you may think,but it was, as there were now 300 people awaiting to enter The Buckingham Suite!!!So well done to all of the bar staff.We were announced in to the suite on time and WOW!!!!
What a delight it was.The room looked amazing.The tables were dressed impeccably and the ambience was delightful.Our wine was pre ordered and was already in ice buckets on the table.Nice touch.
The host,introduced himself "Kev Lawrence" and was brilliant .We were kept entertained all evening with party games and a delightful cabaret singer.We were even entertained by a young staff member strutting his stuff on the dance floor.How cool is that?
On to the food mmn mmn!!
The food was delicious.The plates were warm,the taste amazing and the presentation spot on.Well done to all of the kitchen brigade,you nailed it!! Oh,only one teeny thing though,sprouts were too al dente,but it was not an issue.
The toilets also were. kept clean all evening
I would also like to say at this stage that also the service we received throughout our evening was fantastic from the waiter service even through to security, so well done all of you.
Even though it was a busy night for the hotel,bearing in mind there were TWO functions going on at the same time,Mr Chris Brown took the time out to listen to my comments. A lovely Manager who obviously knows his stuff.
Thankyou so much Holiday Inn,Fab time,well worth the money and we will be back with an entourage next year.
Karen Rutterford

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Mrs Rutterford

Thank you so much for your kind comments, I am so pleased to hear you had a good night.
We have worked hard over the years to make our Christmas parties a night to remember, it is great for my team to read the many wonderful comments they get back from the parties and this inspires them to work hard for next year.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back next year, but i suggest you book up early as the bookings are flooding in already.

Solihull, UK
Reviewed 9 December 2011

I stayed at this hotel 9 years ago when it was part of the Moat House chain. It is a most unattractive building, plain to the point of boring, and undistinguished – it is surrounded by grassed areas. The changes inside were cosmetic in most places, the stairs and landings were just how I remembered them! With heavily patterned red and blue carpets in the corridors. The décor in the room was unchanged too. My scores for that visit were:
A couple of gripes to start with. They claimed, when I checked that my booking was for 3 days later when I had clear confirmation of my booking. Fortunately they were able to find me a room. Secondly one of the tea spoons on the hospitality tray was dirty when I first used it and was not properly cleaned after I had used it. The car park when I arrived was so full, I had to park in an unofficial space. Also, next to the fan/ventilator in the bathroom was a most unpleasant brown stain – no idea what caused it but it was very unattractive.
On entering the hotel, the lounge is very small but bright and clean, and the reception desk is clearly defined. There is a small business centre. My room was allocated on the second floor, with a choice of stairs or a small lift. The room faced out on to a grassed area and the windows were steel framed which meant that area of the room was very cold. I could hear fast moving traffic at all times. I did however sleep well. The room seemed small, but was about 4.5m x 4m, with a desk unit, small occasional chair and table, 2 bedside cupboards and the bed was large enough for a pleasant stretch out. There was an open wardrobe area and a small bathroom, with a bath (chipped in places), wc and sink unit. There were plentiful mirrors and lighting levels were good. The décor is pale cream, as was the carpet, generally I thought the room was clean. The old fashioned radiator did work well and raised the temperature quickly.
Different wifi packages are offered and I chose the economy 60 minutes non-consecutive within 24 hours. It would very efficiently and I was able to use it effectively with the minimum of fuss. The TV was an old style CRT with 10 channels and 4 radio channels and access to movies. I used the health club – still named ‘Moativation’ as it was when it was a Moat House Hotel – which was clean and bright with plentiful equipment.
The hotel is well situated for someone visiting Peterborough city centre (you will need to drive in as it's too far to walk) or just overnighting on a journey down the A1. I didn't receive the cookie/gift/courtesy call mentioned by other reviewers.
My score (out of 10) for the hotel: Location 8; Car Parking 6; Accessibility 6; Reception/Check Out 6; Size of Room 6; Facilities in Room 7; Hotel Facilities 7; Hotel Decor 6; Service 6; Value for Money 6.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 December 2011

Great hotel,great staff.housekeepers excellent.food average at breakfast but fab evening meals.

• Stayed December 2011