“great food, even better beer”

Queens Head Inn at Kettlesing
Ranked #16 of 83 Harrogate B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 November 2012

This is one of the best pubs I've visited - and I've tried a few!

Ate there twice over 3 days, both times the food was delicious, plentiful and served with great charm. We had the Sunday roast - which was everything you would hope for and more - and I have to make special mention of quite the best treacle tart I have ever encountered, and I co-own a bistro which does great cakes!

Marvellous atmosphere, with staff happy to offer a taster of beers, each pint served in peak condition and a really pleasant buzz about the place....low key but welcoming.

If you're in the Harrogate area, it'w well worth seeking out.

Reviewed 12 October 2012

Excellent good value food, great hospitality, made to feel like a regular on a second visit, and a great pint of Old Peculier (Black Sheep and another local brew available for those interested). Although we've not stayed personally, we've seen the rooms and heard from others that this place is recommended.

All the above and such a perfect village setting, handy for Harrogate, other local cities and the Dales.

Reviewed 8 October 2012

Booked a table here last minute although we didn't need to as it was very quiet (Sunday evening). Lovely homely feel and a very warm and friendly welcome from the staff/landlady. The menu, whilst quite extensive, lacks individuality, with many typical, fried pub food options - battered fish, scampi etc, together with the usual burger, steak, gammon. This lack of individuality is slightly made up for with the daily specials which are a little more adventurous.
Starters were OK - prawn cocktail used very small and tasteless prawns, but the dressing and salad was good and the portion size was excellent. Garlic mushrooms had a gorgeous sauce. Main courses - steak and ale pie - another typical pub grub dish - was very good. Chicken in cream and tarragon was from the specials board. The sauce was excellent, although the chicken, whilst plentiful appeared to have a bit of a pink tinge to it in the thicker places. I was not convinced it was thoroughly cooked but it was hard to tell properly due the coating of sauce and the subdued lighting in the pub. I might have been over cautious, but decided to leave the thicker piece. The rest was absolutely delicious and to be fair there may well not have been anything wrong with the chicken which is why I didn't mention it to the staff. The portion size was again plentiful.
The food is excellent value and the wine available is also excellent value with several bottles for less than £15 each.
We would go back if in the area. A little more variation and individuality on the menu, better quality prawns (tiger or king prawns) and perhaps a touch more cooking of the chicken would push this up to five star.
Service and welcome could not be faulted.

Reviewed 30 September 2012

Welcoming fantastic, food brilliant, blue steak cooked to perfection. All staff welcoming and very happy to help. Room was spacious very clean, hot running water, quality TV set in room. What more can I say we will be staying here again.

Thank you to Louise and staff for making it great

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 29 September 2012

I spent one night here on 22 Sept after a beautiful day driving around Yorkshire. I checked into my room just before 6pm and was one of the first guests for dinner. I certainly wasn't the only guest, as all the tables were filled within 30 minutes. I was very hungry and thirsty after a long day, so I ordered the Yorkshire pudding and the Queen's grill. I also tried several of the beers they had on tap. The Queen's grill could have easily served two people, but I managed to eat all of it. The various meat cuts were cooked perfectly and were excellent. I waddled up to my room and took a short breather before returning to the pub for whisky and dessert. On Louise's recommendation I had the sticky toffee pudding. Like my dinner, it was excellent. I stumbled up the stairs after a couple whisky's and slept like a log.
The room was very nice. Large bed, large TV, very clean en suite and very quiet. It was at least as nice as some of the finer hotels I've stayed in.
Unfortunately, I only had toast for breakfast the next morning, although a full English breakfast was available. I was still full from dinner the night before.
I highly recommend the Queens Head Inn. I was traveling alone, but felt very welcomed and comfortable. I will happily return in the not so distant future with my family.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Rokke
Reviewed 23 September 2012

This is a wonderful country pub hidden in a picturesque village just off the A59 Harrogate to Skipton Road. It is a pub with 7 well equiped en suite bedrooms (new about 15 years ago) serving good unpretentious food at value for money prices.

Like many other pubs it has lost its 'hub of the community' feel with the lack of locals and the change in drinking pattern. This is not a criticism of The Queen's Head just a statement of fact relating to village pubs, our own included.

The main business is meeting the needs of American visitors to Menwith Hill, hence the large flat TVs and the big beds. The discounted weekend break via Laterooms.com is a bargain.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2012

We had never eaten here before and wanted somewhere suitable for a family gathering and Sunday lunch. The Queens head ticked all the boxes. We received a warm and friendly greeting from the landlady, The food was excellent and plenty of it served by efficient, curteous staff. Very good value for money. I would recommend anyone to eat here and will certainly be returning in the future.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family