“Go for the architecture if nothing else”
Review of The Winter Gardens

The Winter Gardens
Ranked #99 of 401 Restaurants in Harrogate
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

Usual Wetherspoons but go to see the building itself - once a magnificent concert hall. The place was totally full on a wet April day so they must be doing something right - which is the price of food - ordinary pub grub at reasonable prices.

thewintergardens2018, Social media advisor at The Winter Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2018

Hi LovelyDevon,

Thank you for taking the write an review.

We hope you enjoyed your experience at the winter gardens.

Looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Many thanks.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,653)

Reviewed April 4, 2018

wonderful surroundings for a quick coffee or full meal. It was a breath of fresh air to see that the interior has been kept in excellent conditions.

Hi Jacqui F,

Thank you taking the time to write a review and for your lovely comments, the building is beautiful and the interior is very looked after.

We are so pleased you enjoyed your experience,
Looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed April 3, 2018 via mobile

After having had a couple of pricey meals we decided to save a bit of money and have a night out at The Winter Gardens.
Great value for money - 4 main meals and 4 pints for £40.
Meals were well cooked, delicious, hot and arrived quickly.
The staff were polite and efficient
The building itself is amazing and we went back the following day for breakfast to have a better look

thewintergardens2018, Social media advisor at The Winter Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2018

Hi Aybee71,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, and thank you for lovely comments! We are so pleased you enjoyed your experience at the winter gardens. We looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Many thanks

Reviewed April 2, 2018 via mobile

Nice venue, helpful staff, decent food, value for money, but unfortunately cutlery let it down for us.

Hi M5Liv,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
My apologises about the cutlery , we would like you to know that the matter has being noted and will be followed up with the relevant areas concerned. We hope this hasn’t put you off visiting us again.

My apologises again.
Many thanks

Reviewed April 2, 2018

Firstly this is one of the best buildings housing a Wetherspoon pub I've visited. It is not only a place of some historical significance locally but is architecturally very pleasing to the eye and first impressions were very positive. The problems started when I asked the staff member at the bar for a local beer and he didn't know which, of those on offer was a Yorkshire brewed beer. It might appear a small matter but I travel throughout the UK regularly and have found other Wetherspoon staff full of local knowledge which usually makes the Wetherspoon pub a better place to experience a new area. It turned out that no local beers were on offer, which was a shame. The beer I chose turned out to be flatter than a pan cake and tasted on the turn. In fairness to the other bar member who served me this time it was accepted without question and he offered several others to try before I made a choice. We then ordered food which resulted in the worst experience we have had in any Wetherspoon pub. I ordered a medium cooked steak and waited 30 minutes for it to arrive. The outer parts were cooked well done and when I cut the steak open it was so raw I thought it might start mooing! This was returned and I asked for it to be cooked to the medium requirement I asked for. Another 25 minutes went by and then I was presented with a cremated,burnt offering that was visibly inedible. It was returned to ask the chef why had it been cooked like that. Another team member returned to the table and said there was a confusion as to what I wanted. At this point I asked for a refund and to the credit of this team member it was agreed upon and a free coffee was offered which was also appreciated. It appeared to us that as this is such a lovely venue for this Wetherspoon pub a degree of complacency has set in among some staff members and they have let this establishment down. The last young lady who served us and settled the matter was an example of the level of service the other team members should be striving for and the kitchen staff in particular need to follow her example.

Hi Lentony1958,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review.
I’m sorry your recent review was poor, would like you to know that everything you wrote has been noted and followed up with the relevant areas concerned. if you would take this matter further do not hesitate to contact the pub by email us at - p893@jdwetherspoon.co.uk or contact the pub by phone - ‭01423 877010‬.

We hope this hasn’t put you off visiting us again.