See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed December 11, 2014

I'll start with the positives: the shower was excellent and the shower room seemed quite new and in good condition. The host, Nicki is a delight and nothing is too much trouble. We had dinner one night and it was very good. Wifi worked well all the time.
Now the negatives: in our room, the wallpaper was damaged and water stained, my bed wobbled like a jelly and the fabric cover of the divan base was shredded. We never did get the tv to work. Breakfast was poor, cold (the toast was uneatable) and served on mismatched china.
It's basic, clean and cheap, but very depressing. Sad really, because with an owner like Nicki it could be amazing.

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank TuesdayChester
Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from our trip to Nicki's and had to write an updated review to emphasise the things that makes this place great. At Nicki's you feel like you are part of the family, nothing is too much trouble, the sort of caring service that is so rare nowadays. Unfortunately we weren't able to visit last year and Nicki noticed as such!! You wouldn't get that sort of personal touch in many other hotels in the country. We always have an evening meal at Nicki's and the food is great, very generous portions and very tasty, in the mornings Nicki is helped by Alf who makes a great pot of tea and cup of coffee ;-).
It's not a faceless, soulless chain hotel and the rooms are quirky but always very clean with everything you need in a room. Nicki and the team work very hard at keeping the place so special.
We look forward to returning next year for another dose of Cypriot hospitality.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Why1
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Whilst it may be situated ideally for the centre of Gloucester, this is a basic place to stay. The room and hotel itself smelled slightly, the toilet also smelled and the room was not that clean (other peoples hair still on sheets..). Very noisy during the night from seagulls outside, and someone was listening to the radio at 4am (I know that could happen anywhere). The owner was friendly enough, but Im sorry to say this hotel needs updating and a good clean.
But of course, it all comes down to price, and if you need somewhere to stay on a budget then I'm sure this would suit.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank thedigger294
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Nicki's may suffer in hotel reviews because it isn't a big-chain, well-funded establsihment, but then it doesn't cost as much either. My friends and I are regular users of Nicki's every time there is an event we wish to attend in Gloucester. Nicki is wonderfully welcoming chap who can't do enough for his guests and is always willing to be accomodating even if it means him getting the odd-job superman Alf to run upstauirs. Nothing is too much trouble. Yes the macerator is a noisy invention but it's part of the character of the place. Yes the locals in the street outside can be entertaining but its part of the cabaret. It all depends on what you are looking for and how much you want to pay. Nicki's is cheap, clean and cheerful with all the facilities of a Premier Inn or Travel Lodge except you have to bring your own biscuits. Over the years the proprietor has worked through upgrading every room, new wallpaper, flat screen TVs, new paint jobs, new beds etc. and we even found a new luxury armchair in our room this time. It does not fit with the rest of the decor but who cares, it's comfortable and welcome. Breakfasts are just what you make of them because there isn't a menu, just tell Nicki or Alf what you'd like and they;ll prepare and serve it - and likely offer seconds. Mu only niggle... the sauages could be better quality. Overall, Nicki's Taverna remains unpretentious with the emphais on providing a good bed and a warm welcome. It's not where I'd take my wife for a bit of luxury pampering but then I don't have to pay those type of prices when I stay there. I am willing to understand that this hotel will not be to everybody's taste but I am very fond of Nicki's and so are lots of my friends.

Room Tip: They are all smallish but Room 1 is a large three-bed, family that Nicki will do as a twin. No view though.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Herne848
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Room was small. Ensuite had a pulveriser toilet which made a lot of noise and smelled. Shower was on a high plinth and would be very difficult for a person with impaired movement to use. Public areas and stairs were basic. New wallpaper in places and lino on the floor. Breakfast was inedible. Scrambled egg was burnt and I could not eat it. Toast was white and plentiful. I was on a cycling holiday and in 2 weeks this was the only meal where I left food untouched. I will not return.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo