“Be aware”

Ranked #87 of 659 Restaurants in Derby
Price range: US$20 - US$33
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: The Winner of the Oriental restaurant of the year - Derby food & drinks awards 2011. Our restaurant stands closely to Derby City Centre, and is offering authentic Cantonese & Peking Cuisine in luxurious surroundings and a pleasant atmosphere. We serve traditional "Dim Sum" during normal lunch hours. Our function room equipped with Karaoke facilities is free to hire (minimum spending - £200) for your special occasions. Special banquet meals can be arranged for your special needs. Please ask for details.
Reviewed September 14, 2017 via mobile

We once again as a family visited The New Water Margin with family. We had excellent veg corn soup and hot and sour soup. We had very good veg yak Shang and spring rolls. V
We had various veg curry with rice. We had extremely satisfying meal. We had toffee banana as dessert. We had extremely satisfying lunch.

I have known this Resturant for more than thirty years, since it came into being. There was a period when we visited every Sunday lunchtime, when it was closed to public, when people from Chinese community came to lunch. Previous owner was known to me. We used to have exquisite meals.

I am glad to see that standard of food is maintain.

My daughter came in her separate car. She has now received PCN to pay £60 penalty for parking car in private car park of the new water Margin. I have contacted the resturant. The man on phone asked me to send e mail. I have sent e mail, six days ago, without any response. I have phone several times, owner is not available. I am not happy to pay surcharge of £60 for having lunch at the water Margin.

1  Thank goodvegifood
Peter C, Manager at The New Water Margin, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2017

Sorry to know that you have got a parking ticket for having lunch in our restaurant. Please DO NOT pay them but instead send me a copy of the "Parking Charge Notice" so that I can have all the details to contact our contractor to cancel this PCN, provided you can produce the evidence of payment against your meal. Many thanks. Peter

Reviewed September 7, 2017

We have been coming here for years because the food is a sheer delight .
For the first time last week we tried the all you can eat buffet....and what a revelation it was.........it was decidedly choicey and a veritable banquet of epic pro[ortions that had to be eaten....four of ate and drank(non-alcholic)for less than £65!!It was a much time feast we decided on last minute and I am so glad we went...........we had been en route to another eatery......Enjoy!!The service was spectacular too!!

Reviewed September 3, 2017 via mobile

First visit here, went well all together. The food and portion size was brilliant (all you can eat. Not a huge variety of food to blend with sauces though, nor drinks variety. The fosters wasn't very nice, seemed to everyone the pipes could do with a clean on the pumps - not to mention the getting up to order the bar (didn't want to do service to our table). I would visit again from some else's suggestion but not my own.

Reviewed August 16, 2017

A very uninviting exterior almost put us off from going in, but I'm so glad we did. Stunning interior, swift attentive service, hot quality food provided quickly and value for money without a doubt. Derby's hidden gem.

Reviewed August 8, 2017 via mobile

Like another reviewer, it's a good 20 years since my last visit. Not much has changed in the way of décor, but that's not a bad thing really. The staff were friendly and helpful and we just went with the all you can eat menu, basically any number of appetisers, starters and main courses you want for only £16.50 per person. With a couple of beers each it was well under £50 for a bit of a blow out. The food was prepared to order and fresh, hot and very tasty. Well worth a visit.