“This was one of the most confusing time-travelling, dining experience !”
Review of JACK SPICE

JACK SPICE
Ranked #104 of 480 Restaurants in Swindon
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed December 15, 2017

This was one of the most confusing dining experiences I have ever had mainly caused by the fact that this is not a traditional Indian food restaurant (although it describes itself as one) more precisely it is Bengali cuisine. This was evident from the amount of sugar laced into several of the dishes. The lentils and chicken dish (again no traditional Indian restaurant would mix chicken with lentils in the first place) came with a sweet taste that made it revolting despite it being something the restaurant staff recommended !!

Their evening meal deal of five course for £14.95 was intriguing although they themselves seemed confused about its exact contents and mis-ordered the items on it. With the sugary dishes I wasn't sure if I was on starters or dessert!

I was eventually offered a side dish of Saag and paneer as some kind of speciality that I would highly enjoy, instead what emerged was a series of fried paneer (cottage cheese) cubes dumped into some dried up spinach. The dish naturally had no taste at all. I don't want to start giving a cookery lesson here but some things should just be obvious and cooking the spinach and the paneer together might have been a good start. Duping the people of Swindon to think this is a great taste of Indian cuisine is quite baffling.

The garlic naan was however quite pleasant and well made.

The starter of mixed grill was good apart from the very chewy lamb cubes. the mixed grill starter did come included as part of the evening meal deal, as a separate dish I would say it was a bit meager portions for what it was.

Waiting service overall was very good and very attentive, another great bonus is there is no corkage so you can grab your drinks from the local off-licence to your hearts content.

They continued this confusing experience by ending the evening with the staff not even writing a receipt correctly and gave me one dated two days in the past !!!

Reviewed October 30, 2017 via mobile

I've always ordered from Jack spice since they've opened and its always been delicious. Even recommended to a lot of people. However tonight I was very disappointed. I ordered 2 lamb madras and it was so tasteless and watery.

Reviewed October 29, 2017 via mobile

I was recommended Jack Spice by a colleague who orders from them all the time so I thought I’d give it a try. I’ve ordered for home delivery 3 times now and every time is great! The food is always pipping hot when it arrives, the meat cooked well (I sometimes find with Indian food the chicken can seem underdone or rubbery) and they’re very kind on the phone and accommodating! I had a nice chat with one of the staff members when ordering last week and found out they’re a family run restaurant. I think they’re meal deal of a starter, rice, naan & curry (on the website) is brilliant value for money! I really enjoy the food from Jack Spice and have recommended to many people since I’ve started using them!

2  Thank Anonymous3227
Reviewed August 13, 2017

Have had a selection of curries from Jack Spice in the last 5 months and every one has been great. Onion bhaji starter is superb!

2  Thank Sam R
Reviewed July 30, 2017

Always welcoming and great food , best Indian food in town. Mid week special 5 course is a real bargain , even the drinks are reasonable .

2  Thank Shane C