“An enjoyable, good value, family meal.”
Review of Pizza Express

Pizza Express
Ranked #156 of 463 Restaurants in Swindon
Reviewed 6 January 2018 via mobile

Family meal (2 adults, 2 young children), around 16:00 on New Year's Eve 31st December 2017.

Having eaten in many "branded" restaurants over the years, one of the positives from these meals is that you, usually, always know what you are going to get (which, with children is always rather useful!) and Pizza Express has always provided a welcoming atmosphere, decent food and value for money. Some might say very much in a traditional Italian way.

This restaurant was very good and we had an enjoyable family meal. Our waitress was pleasant and, although she seemed a bit tired (who wouldn't be on New Year's Eve after a long Christmas haul!) gave us very good service.

The food was swift to arrive and tasty. The pizza I enjoyed was likely not in anyway traditionally Italian, but I loved it! It had mozzarella, goat's cheese, pulled pork and marmalade (I know, only British people COULD enjoy this! Photo attached). Truly delicious. Apologies, I tried finding the name of this pizza on the Pizza Express website, but it is not there, I believe because it was a "Special".

My wife was a little disappointed when she asked for her pizza to be made into a calzone and the kitchen said no (in a former life I was a pizza chef and it is genuinely as easy as it sounds, you just turn it over on itself and seal, then cook). But, perhaps Pizza Express has brand rules on this potentially.

The children's menu was good value and the food enjoyed by our little ones, as were the ice creams.

We declined desserts, but they did not seem like they were up to much, as we were sat right next to the bar top with fridges below facing out into the restaurant (where the waiting staff made the drinks and desserts), so we saw desserts made for all the people around us and most of these were partially left (they may have been full after too much pizza also in fairness!).

We felt very sorry for the waiting staff who reorganised a lot of tables to seat a large party of 3 families including with 8/9 children, circa 15 people in total. They proceeded to be rather demanding of the wait staff and rather rude (loudly, so we had no choice but to hear them!). They only 2/3 desserts between them, then pulled out their own drinks and snacks to eat at their tables. They promptly departed, leaving all their packaging from food not purchased in the restaurant on the tables / all over the floor, the mess was quite shocking to be honest and seemingly done in a manner where they had no respect or regard for the staff, perhaps minimal control over their children also. This, however, did not take the shine off our visit.

Keep it up Pizza Express, we will go again to this restaurant.

Reviewed 6 January 2018

My daughter and i were visiting the outlet village and decided to have lunch first. My daughter opted for Pizza Express, it was fairly quiet when we arrived so we were shown to a table straight away, we opted for a pizza to share and a portion of the pollenta chips- pizza seemed alot thinner than usual but still tasted good - pollenta chips very overpriced and not many but again very good. Service was quick as well

Reviewed 3 January 2018 via mobile

We visited pizza express whilst over the outlet village. We were unable to book due to a staff shortage as we normally do with the kids to save them waiting but this wasn’t an issue at all

We were seated quickly and considering their staffing issues you wouldn’t have known had the manager not mentioned it

The service was excellent, hardly any wait although most tables were taken and the food as usual was great.

One of our children opted for pasta then refused to eat it. The waiter had a mini pizza made up instead even though it was nothing to do with the food, just a 2 year old being fussy! Outstanding service which was gratefully received.

We usually go once a month at least and will continue to do so. Fantastic with the kids, enjoyable and stress free environment

Reviewed 19 November 2017 via mobile

I had some high street vouchers to use that Pizza Express accepted and along with our Tastecard, this was a good choice as my wife and I really enjoy Italian food.
The pizza I had was really nice and the evening we choice was fairly quiet, so all good. My only negative moment was it a little cold in there. Aside from that, not too bad.

Reviewed 28 October 2017 via mobile

We had some vouchers to use so while in Swindon at the outlets we went in Pizza Express we had a well presented starter and two good pizzas, they do need to get the bases a bit crisper-oncoming training me thinks, service was fine and overall was most enjoyable- always think they should have draugth beers in the restaurants..