“Perfect for small money”

Ramada Crawley Gatwick
Ranked #26 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Glostrup, Kobenhavn, Denmark
“Perfect for small money”
Reviewed 6 June 2012

This Hotel is perfect for small money, the breakfast is good, the room is ok and big and its only 2 starts hotel, its central in Crawley - perfect close to everything. Market every weekend in front of the hotel.
There are old rooms and new rooms ............. we like the old one .............. just remember it can be spoogy ;o)))
We have been here for many times now - before its chance the name, but I think its still the same cosey place to stay. I will allways go back to this place ;o)))
Many workers are staying here all the time.
Try it - its perfect place and central in Crawley.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Hoylake, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Come on Ramada, sort this one out. The staff are all very pleasant and helpful but this hotel really is tired and scruffy. I had booked a non-smoking room but listen, taking the ashtrays out and putting in a little 'no smoking' sign does not clear the room of the stink of ingrained tobacco. Employing a handyman to do some painting, gardening and cleaning would make a real difference. My concern is that hotel is used by people arriving and leaving the UK and what a lousy first or last impression it gives.

Hillsborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2012

After taking quite some time to register and being told that I may have a problem with the shower in the room, I went to the said room and found it had not been vacated. Struggled to get another double room in other hotels nearby when reception finally gave me a room which had been a cancellation.

The room I had was too hot (no aircon) and could only be accessed up stairs (no lift that I could see). Thankfully I only had a small bag.

Bathroom and room looked and felt a bit tired. Good flat screen TV was probably the best thing about the room.

Breakfast - although this was paid in advance I was told that it wasn't. Again more flapping around required by the staff to sort this out.

Two star rating perhaps on the generous side.

Room Tip: Cannot recommend anyone to stay.
1 Thank W5WPH
Reviewed 20 May 2012 via mobile

I dont like writing negative reviews, but this hotel was not good from our experience. We arrived at aprox 9.30pm and really struggled to get on the car park.

Check in was fine, however when locating our room we realised that we were in a completely separate building across the car park, on the 1st floor! Unfortunately a lift was not one of this hotels limited facilities. This hotel is certainly not wheeler chair access friendly. The room and corridors really smelt of lingering cigarette smoke!

On reflection however it soon became clear that being placed in the furthest away block was a blessing as it meant we were further away from the Octoplus Bar/club which was essentially in the same building as the hotel. The loud music continued to drone late into the night. The final straw was being woken at around 2.00pm by a drunken brawl outside in car park.

Not good at all-especially with our 4am start!

The hotel was cheap, but if I'd have realised it was not the Ramada Plaza I would have happily paid more. On a positive note however, air parks were fantastic on arrival and departure!

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Claire O
Inverurie, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights when down doing a course, I currently have travelled about with airlines and now work as a travel booker and I felt happy with the service i got! The hotel was clean and tidy- cleaners had been everyday, the people were lovely and extremely helpful. The only downside about the hotel for me was, because its a old building it is not kitted with air conditioning in the room so it did get warm through the night- but simply open your window!! I read reviews on here previous to travelling deown and I was dreading it if im honest, but really what do people expect for £66.00 becuase quite frankly your not going to get a 5+star room. Obviously they hae nothing better to do than complain!!!!!
Also the Thai Restuarant "The Giggling Squid" was absolutely out of this world, amazing!!!!
Overall I had a lovely stay and the people were nice.... and I can be fussy!!!

Room Tip: Room 408 if you are a non smoker!!!
1 Thank Linzi Penny J
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2012

: I was visiting some friends in Crawley, so I booked this hotel as it is on the high street and would be a convenient location. Indeed it was as there are a number of restaurants and bars as soon as you walk out of the hotel. The hotel is a lovely old building which clearly shows it has some history connected to it. The staff were friendly and helpful, I did ask where the lifts were and the staff informed me that due to the hotel being a listed building the hotel is not allowed to build a lift. A bit annoying on me as a visitor but the not the hotels fault. It may well ruin the character of the building. The room was perfect for what I paid, clean tidy room, with clean en-suite bathroom facilities. Breakfast was good. I would definitely stay here again when I am in town, and would recommend to family and friends!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank James B
Bina P, Public Relations Manager at Ramada Crawley Gatwick, responded to this review, 22 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We are delighted that we were able to meet your expectations and that you were happy with your stay. Your feedback is valuable to us in making us focus to provide the same excellent service to all of our customers.

As the building is a Grade II listed building, it prevents us from installing a lift in the hotel. We do appreciate that this can cause some inconvenience however our staff members are always on hand and willing to help with luggage to your room.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Amersham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Let me be frank, we booked this thinking it was the Ramada Plaza Crawley, how wrong we were!
I would imagine once this was a fine hotel in old Crawley, sadly it is no more.
The pictures you see advertising it are from the front, on the pedestrianised high street, the rear is an ugly mess of badly designed, poorly maintained extensions that need demolishing, (providing they can evict the car cleaners that have set up in the car park!).
The welcome at reception was warm, and friendly, but that was as good as it got.
We went up the creaky stairs hoping for a period bedroom in this old hotel, what we got was a dingy old room in the extension, with a stained carpet, a ripped quilt cover, a hole in the bathroom ceiling with wires hanging out of it, a door stop in the middle of the bathroom floor so the door didn't hit the toilet pan, and furniture that looked like it had come from a second hand auction.
The bed was soft, and the walls or ceiling were so thin we were kept awake by someone snoring either, above, next door or across the hall we could not place the exact location. There was a cupboard in one corner to hang a few clothes but that was all, the only saving grace for the room was a decent TV picture.
When we arrived in the room the bed was pushed up against the wall with about six inches to spare next to the ugly box covering the heating pipes, a lump of which was protruding out of a hole at one end!
I understand this hotel has recently taken the Ramada name, and has had some work done to bring it up to their standards, if these are Ramada's standards they must be very low, I cannot understand how a large chain like this can accept such a terrible hotel under its banner, it has put me off Ramada for ever!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Karnak55
I am very concerned when reading your comments. I would like to apologise for the inconvenience during your stay. We do have a car wash company like many car parks do now days which is in a separate area to visitors cars. We have also extended the hotel to accommodate more guests to meet rising demands. Some parts of the building are over 400 years old which explains the creeky areas, however we believe this adds to character of the building.

Addressing your particular room, I would like to personally apologise that you were given a room that should have been closed off to customers till it was fully refurbished. I have addressed this issue with our team and we will endeavour to meet and exceed customer expectations for future.

I do apologise once again and hope you will give us another chance to show you the positive change in our service.