New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“A home away from home!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Echallon Guest House

Echallon Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Crawley
Echallon Guest House
Ranked #11 of 20 Crawley B&B and Inns
Ghent, Belgium
“A home away from home!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

As a pilot with easyJet working in London Gatwick but living in Belgium i needed to find a place to stay 3-4 nights a week. I couldn't stay in a hotel because after a year or 2 that's just killing you! So i found the Echallon Guest House in Crawley and met the owner Abdul. Over the year and a half i stayed with Abdul a lot was changed and renovated and for me it was like a second home. Abdul is always around for a nice chat and willing to help out for any queries! For me the most important thing was to be able to settle down and relax during my stay instead of not really feeling at home like in a hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
East Sussex UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2008

I have stayed at Echallon twice, May 2007 and the year before. It is true that the rooms are small and oddly furnished with an air of ongoing renovation, but the two we have tried were perfectly acceptable and comfortable for a single night, Abdul and his extended family saw to our needs, we were taken to the airport in time and efficiently collected on our return. As it is the cheapest B&B I have found in the Gatwick area, and the car service and parking and breakfast are included, I think it is well worth it.

The second time we were given the run of the nearby kitchen which I thought much better than being brought a tray. There was plenty of bread and milk in the fridge for us, and I brought our own butter and bread, as I don't like margarine or white sliced bread. The main thing was the ability to make gallons of early morning tea in our own time. There are tea making trays in the rooms, but they are a bit miniature.

Abdul is very careful with the car: we have to write down the mileage and any scars on it before leaving, so that there is no misunderstanding on our return, and he assured me he kept it inside locked gates at his other home round the corner.

As far as we are concerned, we will stay there every time we take an early plane from Gatwick, and I have just recommended it to some friends.

• Liked — Very cheap but adequate for an overnight stay
  • Disliked — A little difficult to find
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Robertsbridge
Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2008

This was our second stay at Echallon Guesthouse and it was, if possible, even better than the first time. We really feel at home as soon as we enter the "house". One thing is for certain - the next time we want to spend a few days in London ( and surroundings) we will be back at Echallon - and it's very friendly owner and lovely family.
Best regards
Lise & Bo Hansen
Denmark

( bolise@hansen.mail.dk )

• Liked — the friendliness
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
swindon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2007

We booked this guesthouse before reading the previous review, We were a bit worried but decided to go anyway, well what a surprise. The owner Abdul greeted us as we arrived, showed us our rooms and then invited us into the dining room for coffee. We had a long chat and he told us all about his interesting life, then gave us all the local information we needed about a pub serving food, leisure park and shopping centre. We had our own keys to come and go as we please, the beds were very comfortable and I didn't care if the wardrobe didn't match the dresser i was not going to use it as I was only there 1 night..The whole place was spotlessly clean. We checked all the curtains for Iron marks and there were none!! Breakfast was perfectly ok, with cereal, toast, tea coffee and juice, Abdul took us to the airport and arranged to bring our cars to us when we came back I will definately use Echallon again, and I wouldn't hestate to recommend it. If people expect 5* standards they really should expect to pay 5* prices. We got very good value for our money.

• Liked — The warm welcome
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank paddywinkles
south wales
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2007

We stayed overnight in this guesthouse prior to taking our flight from Gatwick, and foolishly had pre-booked it upon our return. Upon our arrival at the guesthouse, I caught sight of the owner through the window, but after practically hammering the door down for several minutes he refused to answer the door, even though he had seen us arrive. He finally answered the door as I was ringing his phone number, with a surprised look on his face, as if he hadn't heard the doorbell.

Our room was a twin bedded, with shabby old furniture, non-matching and looking like it had come from a local house clearance. The TV had to be connected by me, as nothing was plugged in.

Once we were settled in our room, the owner knocked on our door with spurious questions on four separate occasions, even when we went out for a quick stroll, he pulled up alongside us in his car.

When we drew the curtains there was an iron-shaped burn in them.

Breakfast was billed as "full" but came on a tray to our room, which had no table or chairs, and we had to sit on our beds to eat it. It consisted of toast, and cornflakes with a jug of milk complete with floating black hair in it. Transfer to the airport was satisfactory.

Upon our return, the owner had arranged transfer from the airport for us, and he arrived at the agreed time of 2am to collect us in a Ford Mondeo. He admitted that the car wasn't his and I doubt very much that he had insurance to drive it. My friend had to share the back seat with a bicycle, she sat sideways with her feet on the seat in order to get in. I sat in the front, but had to hold a pair of large wine glasses that had been left on the seat.

When we arrived at our room that night, we asked if we could make some tea and was told that it would be ok. So I made a cup of tea, and at 3am there was a knock on the door - the owner marched in, wearing his pyjamas and dressing gown with a cup of tea for us. He came to tell us that he would not be getting up next morning and we were to make our own breakfast. Needless to say, we didn't bother.

Payment was only accepted in cash, he would not take debit/credit cards or cheques.

If you need overnight accommodation, don't even consider this one.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank lizziSouthWales