“Great evening out”
Review of Octagon Theatre

Octagon Theatre
Ranked #3 of 40 things to do in Bolton
Reviewed April 15, 2018

My family and I attended The Octagon Theatre on 9th April to see East is East, it was a fantastic evening, we had nor been here before so did not know what to expect. My husband made the bookings so the rest of us did not know about the unusual layout of a central stage surrounded by the tiered seating.
We booked a meal at Eight, the theatre restaurant, the menu included dishes themed to the play beef curry, onion bhaji, etc. The restauranr visually appears like a café but on theatre nights the tables are all pre booked, the restaurant is licenced but only serves bottled beers and ciders plus wine by the glass or bottle. The food was excellent our group orders all the Asian themed meals, onion bhaji, lime and coconut chicken skewers for starters, peanut beef curry with pilau rice and nann bread, spicy salmon fillet with sauteed potatoes and salad. The portion sizes were plentiful so much so no one could face a dessert. The meals were great value for money at £17 per head for two courses.
The performance of East is East was outstanding and one of the best we had seen, it was our first proper play previously we had only seen musicals, my son rated the play over the film version. The cast were small in number and moved the scenery and props around themselves during the performance. The central stage allowed all the audience to see clearly all the action and in a smaller venue like this one was a bonus.
Unfortunately the theatre is closing down for 18 months for refurbishment but performances will continue at a temporary new home.
Once the original theatre is back in operation we shall visit again

All reviews
in 22 reviews
"play"
in 57 reviews

Reviewed April 10, 2018 via mobile

Recently watched East Is East and was amazed by the quality of acting. Attention to detail of props and layout of stage was fantastic. Staff very helpful on the night. Cant comment on the food as didn’t eat but drinks were reasonably priced and served quickly. Can’t wait to visit again when the new theatre building is complete!!

1  Thank Pickle_kicker
Reviewed April 5, 2018 via mobile

Been to loads of plays at Octagon and always enjoyed. Was booked to see east is east last weekend and husband was so sick on the day we couldn’t go. At over £28 per ticket I contacted them to see if we could go on another day after explaining our situation. Got a rubbish reply saying it says on tickets they need 24 hours notice so they didn’t even offer us an alternative date. Really disappointed in their lack of customer service. My husband didn’t have 24 hrs notice that he was about to get ill. I have spent so much money over the years supporting this theatre but I vow not to return due to their lack of empathy or concern

1  Thank LANCSTRAVEL
Reviewed April 5, 2018

The family went to see a show here. it was my first time and I was amazed. we were on the 1st row next to the volunteer actors not professional although professional in their performance
Would I go back? Yes