All reviewsenglish inndaily mailtewkesbury abbeybed was very comfortablefull englishevening mealshort stayfollowing morningsmoked salmonthe riverwell worth a visitold buildingwould stay againthe pubexcellent valuecooked breakfastbar area
Reviewed April 1, 2018

We have enjoyed visits to a number of OEIs in the past but found The Bell particularly disappointing.
The location is good, onsite parking a bonus, the room was generally clean and the bed comfortable. It goes downhill from there.
We booked in and were given the key to room 20. On entering the room we were greeted with an unpleasant smell that got worse when we opened the bathroom door. I went back to reception to see if we could change rooms. The receptionist said they were fully booked and accompanied me to the room to investigate the problem. She agreed it was most unpleasant and sprayed with some Odour Deneutraliser to suppress the smell. We were left with the spray and used it regularly over the next couple of days.
There was a notice above the sink that said ‘Beware water may be very hot’. This should be changed to ‘IS extremely hot’. When you tried to run cold water you still got very hot water for an extended period which was very painful to the hand when you tested what was coming through. It was so hot I would suggest that it is a H&S issue.
In the room we noticed three partly concealed Rentokil cartons. What were these trying to discourage?
At breakfast on Day 1 my wife ordered porridge and bacon and tomato only to be told that this was two items off the cooked menu and we would be charged for one as it was extra work for the chef. We explained this hadn’t been the case at any previous OEIs we had stayed at but they just said it was their policy. Always thought porridge was classed as a cereal.
At breakfast on the second day the waiter took our order and we collected our cereal. He then appeared with a rack of burnt toast. We asked for some lightly done toast to which he replied ‘That is how it comes out of the machine’. Can’t they get a modern one with a time control? My wife had plain bread instead of the burnt option.
We were half way through our cereal when the waiter appeared with the cooked breakfasts and put them on the table. We did manage to get two plates to cover them to keep warm whilst we finished our cereal. Fawlty Towers sprung to mind, perhaps some basic staff training would be useful.
When it was time to leave we went down to reception, there was nobody about so we rang the bell. We waited and waited, went to look for someone, no luck so we left the key and departed.
Being a fan of OEIs it is disappointing to write such a poor review but we have to tell it how it was.
Tewkesbury is a lovely town to visit, we will return but not to The Bell.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Joe B, Manager at The Bell Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. Please accept my apologies that we did not live up to our normal levels of service and my assurances that I have spoken and re-coached all those involved, and I hope to welcome you back to The Bell soon.

Reviewed March 16, 2018

Agree with all the Negative reviews: arrived at 7.30pm, reception completely disinterested even though I had pre-booked; no lift & stairs difficult with 2 suitcases & 2 bags & no assistance. Room was incredibly hot -Dinner was OK as it was Mother's Day but 2 tables sent their steaks back as being inedible.
Waitresses at breakfast were just as "off-hand" - they certainly excel at small portion size for the cooked breakfast & I was heading for a confrontation when bolstering it with the Continental selection as well. This was the worst of 11 hotels in my 4,120 mile drive & whilst I once lived many years in Cheltenham will not be staying here again.

Room Tip: Make sure it doesn't face onto Tewkesbury Abbey as the Bells chime every qurter!
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
Joe B, General Manager at The Bell Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2018

Thank you for your comments, I was disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay. Please feel free to contact me at the Hotel so we can chat about your stay and so we can ensure that your next stay is a more positive one.

Kind regards

Reviewed March 13, 2018

It is the first hotel I have ever stayed in that does not provide soap.
The room was shabby and the corridor wall paper thin, it felt like I was sleeping in the corridor.
The only highlight was the breakfast. Excellent full English and a very efficient service.
Overall I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank Tiaontour

Thank you for your comments - I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay and would be happy to discuss this with you, please feel free to call me at the hotel where I hope we can ensure your next stay is a better one.

Reviewed March 12, 2018 via mobile

The hotel is in a great location,opposite the abbey,and is easy to find.Rooms were small,ridiculously hot,and with really noisy plumbing.On the positive side,staff were friendly and helpful,and the breakfast was good.If you can put up with the vagaries of an old building it’s not a bad place to stay.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed March 12, 2018 via mobile

Came here today for lunch with my Mum for her birthday/Mother’s Day. I happened to mention it was Mums birthday when we were bought menus. Despite there being a notice that said order at the bar, a waitress came and took our order as it was quiet, she then said that as it was Mums birthday she could have a choice of cake on the house for pudding, which was very nice of them. Our meal was lovely, I was disappointed though to be told after my starter that the fillet I had ordered was not available, however the sirloin I had was lovely and cooked perfectly. When it came to dessert Mum had a carrot cake which came out on a decorated plate with a candle. It looked amazing! The only negative to our visit was that the waitress clearly didn’t understand what we wanted when we asked for liqueur coffees. They came as 2 Americanos with the tia maria on the side and jugs of milk. We didn’t complain as everything else was so lovely, but it may be worth making sure the staff are trained on how to make a liqueur coffee for the rare occasion they may be asked for one.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family

Thank you for your comments, I am delighted to read that you all had a good time and that your Mum enjoyed her day. I shall take the liqueur coffee training points and go through it with the team. Once again, many thanks for your comments and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Kind regards