“Afternoon tea”

Ranked #14 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
uk
“Afternoon tea”
Reviewed 22 May 2012

This review is for the afternoon tea in the Octagon lounge only. I didn't stay at the hotel.

The Midland is by far the most historic high class hotel in central Manchester. It is splendid from the outside, but the inside is showing its age a bit. The lobby is impressive but does feel slightly out of date; there's a faint whiff of the seventies - I think there must be too much brown or beige or something. Having said that, the architecture is beautiful and the Octagon lounge, where you have your tea, is truly impressive. It's got a vague Moroccan theme and has a huge high ceiling. Very grand.

Service was friendly and efficient, although I felt I was rushed into choosing my tea (there is, of course, more on offer than just the standard PG Tips!) The amount you get per person is just right and everything was fresh and rather delicious. It comes nicely presented on a three-tier cake stand which is placed next to your table.

As we went on a weekday afternoon, the place was almost empty which was a shame. It would have had a better atmosphere at the weekend, I'm sure, when you really do have to book. Even better would be if you coincide it with when the pianist is playing. That really would create a very special atmosphere.

The cost was £20 per head which, on the whole, I would say is reasonable for the food you get and the quality of the experience. Having had afternoon tea both at the Midland and the Radisson Free Trade Hall in Manchester, I would pick this as a more traditional English venue and a better quality of service too, although the food was pretty much of the same quality in both venues.

Incidentally, there's no need to dress up as such, I saw people in jeans and so on. But I think it would be quite nice to make a little bit of an effort, especially for a special occasion.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank sfuhere
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
Dear Sfuhere,

Thank you for taking Tea at The Midland and for your kind but comprehensive review. You're right in that when Lol our Resident Pianist is playing The Octagon Lounge goes to another level as it creates such a wonderful atmosphere and to be fair it can be difficult to get a booking for the weekend for Afternoon Tea as we are normally fully booked weeks in advance; my advice is to book early..

We look forward to your return and if you're struggling to get a booking for a weekend please feel free to get in touch as it really is a bit special and I'd really like you to experience it.

The Midland

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (826)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 21 May 2012

We stayed at the midland hotel for 1 night (we had 2 rooms, Superior type, located on the 4th floor).
This was just what we needed to finish our trip to England, after being so disappointed with service in general in England...
This hotel is very central: it is located opposite the central station and along Oxfort Street.
This hotel is all about comfort and service. Everybody was very polite and attentive at all times.
The rooms are very spacious and very comfortable (our room was about 35sq meters). We had a huge bathroom with separate shower and bath. Bathrooms and rooms were immaculate. Bed was very comfortable and the all atmosphere of the room very relaxing.
We used the fitness center and the swimming pool/jacuzzi. The swimming pool is quite small but we had a nice relaxing time. Changing rooms and facilities were very clean.
Breakfast buffet was also very good with a nice selection of English breakfast, breads, fruits, juices and dairy products.
Check-in and check-out very smooth.
Plus we had a last minute rate! This was our best stay in England over our one week visit!
Conclusion: We will not hesitate a second and will stay at The Midland again whenever we will travel to Manchester.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Dear SgSling,

What a lovely review thank you. I'm really pleased that we lived up to your expectations in all areas and that you'd choose The Midland when next you are in Manchester.

All the very best and many thanks for your time and kind words.

Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2012

we arrived at the hotel spoken to by a girl who said name ,your room no is ,followed by breakfst times and then pointed to the lift good start so after struggling with bags as no one there to help we entered the room.To say its a 4 star hotel someone should return to see it. cracks in the ceiling to look at a child could have painted it better .Had to send for more milk 4 small cartons for all day night .Fan in bathroom didnt work not healthy.shower still over bath in this day and age this hotel is just old and tired looking needs a refurb.not worthy of 4 stars our stay was ruind as it was our anniversary.

Room Tip: you will need to pay well above a standard room then i wouldnt be sure it would be any better we loo...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 22 May 2012
Dear Wendy W,

Many thanks for taking the time to feedback to us your views on your stay.

If I haven't been in touch by the time you've read this reply then please feel free to make contact on 0161 932 3333 and ask for me personally as this isn't how we're normally received.

This is a great hotel with fantastic staff and as you'll see from all of our other reviews we generally exceed guest expectations so something has either gone awry or you're talking about another hotel (it can happen on this site). Either way I'm keen to talk with you to understand your experience much better if you would be so kind as to get in touch then that would be great.

Thanks once again for taking the time to review us.

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I have stayed at the Midland many times on business. It is extremely convenient for central Manchester. It has an air of Victorian elegance. The rooms are very comfortable and well-furnished. The two hotel restaurants provide very adequate food but breakfast is a little basic but also adequate. I have found the staff to be very pleasant and helpful. WiFi is freely available throughout the hotel. Car parking is available but at the cost of £20 per night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 6th floor - on other floors some of the basic rooms are quite small
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Dear Poppadoc5748,

Thank you for taking the time to review us and for where we get it right for you as a Business guest I thank you for telling others about your experience. Where you're looking for us to ever improve then as with all feedback we take it on board and will look to give you and all of our guests an even better time next time round.

Genuinely our ambition is for every guest to enjoy consistently great service and hospitality at The Midland whilst at the same time making the experience bespoke and as interesting and new as possible.

We look forward to your return and the opportunity to deliver another great stay for you.

Reviewed 21 May 2012

I have stayed at the midland a couple of times and I have always been satisfied. A stylish hotel and I found the beds are very comfortable . The hotel is very clean and the staff both proffesional and courteous . We stayed for bed and breakfast and I found the breakfast to be of a good standard . I would not hesitate to stay here again .

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 2 August 2012
Dear Julia,

Apologies in the delay to replying to your review however it is appreciated and of course we'd be delighted to see you back here soon.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the Midland with my Mum for a theatre break this month, we booked a special Friday package including breakfast and upgraded to a superior twin room.
Although check in was 3pm we arrived at 1pm and were allowed to check in straight away, the reception staff were polite and helpful throughout our stay.
Our room was huge with plenty of wardrobe space and two enormous beds. The bathroom was clean and the toiletries were really lovely.
The hotel is really central we parked in the upper level of the convention centre for only £9 for 24 hours and the hotel was a short walk from the car park, shops and the theatre.
Lovely stay at a reasonable price, excellent brekkie would definately stay again!

• Stayed May 2012
Dear Mr&MrsB_Leeds,

First of all I think I can vouch for part of your night being excellent as I went to see 'Phantom' also. However thank you for your kind words about the part that The Midland played in your break as we are extremely lucky by the fact that we are located so close to Manchester's Theatre and Concert venues.

Thanks also for the kind words about your room and our great team it is appreciated.

We look forward to your return.

Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I recently stayed at the Midland Hotel in Manchester and I was very impressed. The staff were very helpful and polite and made my stay very comfortable. My room was very comfortable and spacious and I would recommend anyone to stay there. The breakfast that was served was beautiful. The midland hotel offers a huge choice of breakfast and I thoroughly enjoyed my breakfast that morning. I will definately be returning to the hotel for future vists as the location is also in a very useful position. Cant speak highly enough of this fantastic hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Dear Stuart C,

Thank you for your kind words about our team, this great hotel, our footprint at the heart of Manchester and our food offering. Delighted to read also that you would recommend us to anyone; praise indeed!

We look forward to your return.