“looking shabby” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
Manchester, United Kingdom
“looking shabby”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

after just returning from a spa break at Crewe Hall, which is the same chain Q Hotels as my favorite hotel The Midland, it feels that Crewe Hall is a far better Hotel. The decor to Crewe Hall is far superior to the Midland. The Midland hotel toilets are a let down, and need re furbishing, they actually resemble toilets to a low standard hotel. The lounge chairs in the sitting area are looking shabby, and not to the standard that The Midland should be. Please Q Hotels spend a little money on The Midland, and keep it to the standard we expect. Thanks

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 3 June 2012
Dear lorrainecbuckley,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review us and your timing couldn't be better as we are about to embark upon a programme of ensuring that the place meets our guests expectations.

I take on board your comments and I'm sure that with such a fascinating building like The Midland the quality of our toilets is something that is important to all but I'm not so sure it is a reason why over 200,000 guests use us annually and in the main (well beyond 95% anyway) say very nice things about the hotel and our magnificent team.

Thanks again for your custom and feedback as it is so important to us and I agree wholeheartedly that Crewe Hall is another great hotel.

The Midland

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (798)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

The room I had was clean and spacious. The staff were very courteous. My only issue with this hotel was the lack of parking. I had to park away from the building and walk. The bed was comfortable, the view was towards the back. The toilet was clean and all in all a pleasant stay.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Cubicsnot
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
Dear cubicsnot,

Thank you for taking the time to review us and for your kind words. When next you visit please come to the front (or back) of the hotel and ask for Valet Parking as we'd be delighted to begin looking after you from the second that you arrive.

We look forward to your return.

york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

This is the 5th time I have been to Manchester and have stayed in 4* hotels each time. The staff at this hotel made it the best hotel stay I have experienced. Though I have had more modern rooms in other hotels, I realised after staying here that customer service is more important. The manager here has it right, the staff seem genuinely happy in their job and this gave an overall 'good vibe.' The hotel was extremely busy yet every member of staff I encountered made me feel valued.

I had booked a Superior King Room, the first room (638 I think) whilst it was very big, it didn't let in the sunshine (fussy, I know!) I called reception and the girl could not do enough to help. She explained that she had a book describing the rooms and asked what I was looking for. She read the room description out, sent up a staff member to help move our belongings and we were moved to 430.

The chambermaid found £20 under our bed ( I have no idea if it was ours or the previous guests) however she left it on the side for us, she also asked if there was anything extra we required, I took her up on her offer and asked for extra milk and tea.

I asked for help with a bus route to the rugby tournament and to a restaurant. Later that day I had highlighted maps, bus times, a walking route....

On the Saturday night, the duty manager saw we were reading a note regarding breakfast and the fact it would be busy so to expect a wait between 9-10.30. We'd have been happy to wait however intuitively he came over and offered us breakfast in bed waiving the tray charge.

We had drinks in the bar before we went out, the staff were incredibly attentive and always asked if we'd had a good evening when we went back for a night cap. Nuts were served with each drink and on our final night we'd been unable to get in anywhere for a meal, the waitress bought over two huge bowls of nuts.

My partner and I have many weekends away in different cities and I can honestly say that the level of customer service at this hotel is the best I have ever received and for this reason, it gives The Midland the edge over other hotels. Keep it up, we'll be revisiting in October!

Room Tip: It appears there is a book which describes each room therefore you can ring reception prior to your...
2 Thank zenaYork
Dear zenaYork,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review us and for recording your comments so comprehensively. I believe you're right in that we can have the best hotel around (which we have) but it is ALWAYS all about our staff and how well they look after our guests that makes all the difference.

You've been kind enough to tell others about us which I thank you again for.

Before you visit us in October let me know so I can ensure that stay is as memorable as this.

Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

We enjoyed a lovely 2 night stay in The Midland in Manchester. The situation of the hotel is great for all the events which are happening there. The staff were very helpful, polite and courteous. Our room on the 5th floor was great -very clean and comfortable. We had travelled to Manchester in the car and it was good to have the car valet parked for us in the local NCP car park. Would really recommend this hotel if you want a bit of luxury while in Manchester.

Room Tip: Upgrade to room on 5th floor. It was quiet and a/c not noisy.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 28 May 2012
Dear Westpool,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Midland and for your very kind comments they are appreciated. I'm so pleased that we looked after you although we do have an advantage or two given our unique location at the heart of Manchester and the fact that we have a fabulous building and fantastic staff who are always keen to look after every one of our guests.

As always we look forward to your return.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at The Midland for two nights on 25th and 26th May 2012. This was our second stay here and, yet again, The Midland surpassed our expectations.

With the help of the staff (Dawn Stott and pianist, Lawrence) we got engaged at The Midland in December 2009, so the place holds some really special memories for us.

This visit was made (almost) equally as special following a wonderful, special touch from the manager soon after our arrival - thank you.

The Midland is large, yet homely and very busy, yet personal. The piano lounge, with the sweet sounds of relaxing live piano music is the perfect place to relax with a drink or two.

The room was spacious and airy. The air con worked perfectly and the shower was just fantastic. The view from our room wasn't the best, but we didn't go to stare out of the windows.

Room service was second to none and the food was delicious and clearly prepared with pride.

We have stayed at many hotels (some with a seemingly higher star rating) but The Midland is the best, by a mile (and then some).

It's a pity we can't afford to stay more often because we would go back at the drop of a hat.

Quality place. Quality service. Quality Staff.

Thank you, Midland, for an amazing weekend.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank DazLeeW
Dear DazLeeW,

Trust me we know you well as Dawn has told us all about you. I'm so pleased that once again we've given you a great stay and I can only add that your final few words about quality is all what our great team strive to achieve with each and every guest.

Thank you once again and we look forward to your return time and again!

Wigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

We had a two night stay at The Midland to celebrate my wifes birthday, great stay in an excellant room, very comfortable and very quiet. Included in the stay was scones and cream with a cocktail drink which all added to an enjoyable experience. All the staff are very friendly and always willing to help should it be required. Has always breakfast is a must with the range of food available unbelieveable more than enough to set you up for the day meandering round the city centre. Always ready to put forward staying here and any other of the Q hotels has we will be staying at many more in the future.

Room Tip: If you can pick a room on the 6th floor usually quieter that the other floors.
1 Thank jwith
Dear jwith,

Thank you so much for highlighting how much you enjoyed yourselves. It appears that you 'tested' our services out really well and that we gained your seal of approval. Our Afternoon Tea is a great occasion and I can't think of many places better to enjoy cocktails than on The Octagon Lounge of The Midland.

I like your tip about our 6th floor rooms as they are my favourites also.

We look forward to your return. Thank you once again from all the team.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

The hotel has a sense of grandeur that dates back to the turn of the last century. Located in the centre of Manchester, it is close to most attractions. The rooms were very comfortable, breakfast was included in the room rate and was very hearty with healthy options available.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Dear abott,

Thanks all the way across to Australia; your kind words are very much appreciated and I'm so pleased that we delivered for you in every way.

As a business guest and someone who travels a lot internationally its particularly pleasing to read that we looked after you so well and if ever you are in Manchester in the future please let me know as we'd love to look after you again.

All the very best from sunny (for the time being anyway!) England.

The Midland
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
0.1 km away
#8 of 115 in Manchester
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,275 reviews
0.8 km away
DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly

Been to The Midland? Share your experiences!