“Elegant hotel, right at Manchester Airport”
Review of Etrop Grange

Etrop Grange
Ranked #68 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
East Alton, Illinois
“Elegant hotel, right at Manchester Airport”
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I was in the UK on business, and had a flight back to the USA out of Manchester, so I picked the Etrop Grange because it was close to the airport, and a very elegant old hotel. My room was modern with a canopy bed. ( Too bad my wife was not with me.) The bar is small but it had a nice decor and great beer. The restaurant was excllent. Le Canard Confit est tres excellent! Now for the negative. The Wi Fi did not work in my room, and I could not dial the USA from my room phone (it worked in other UK hotels). I had to dial from the lobby phone, so no lovey talk with the wife! (My Verizon mobile did not work in the UK) The front desk had no explanation for either problem. The next day I had a private shuttle to the airport which was great. So if you don't need Wi Fi or a USA call from your room, this is a great hotel.

Room Tip: Not easy to find. So use a cab or shuttle if you are at the airport.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Polish first
lancashire
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Booked a double room for one night only, prior to departing for holiday the following morning.
First time at this hotel, as it was reccommended by a friend.
Booked the park and fly option. it was flawless, from start to finish. Our car was dropped off at the airport 10 minutes after we rang them. Also hotel transfer was spot on! thanks Peter.
As soon as we walked through the door , there was a warm welcome, and help with our luggage from the car to the room. Thanks Peter.
I would especially like to mention the excellent service from Peter, who helped with the airport transfer and other incidents that he was able to help us with above and beyond the call of duty,

I would also like to thank Cherry in the restaurant for her excellent professonalism, and attention to detail, also she always had a kind word and a smile to go with it.

The room was very comfortable and spotlessly clean. NO aircraft noise disturbance whatsoever. Checkout was smooth.
I will definately book this hotel again when travelling to and from the airport.
Well done everyone. does what it says on the tin.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2012

My beautiful wife and I decided to hold our wedding reception at this lovely country house style hotel. We had looked at several venues before making our final choice but as soon as she saw this place there really was only one choice for her. The events manager was really lovely, very helpful and professional and made sure everything was in place for us to ensure all went according to plan.

The staff, the venue and the food were fantastic. The master of ceremonies was brilliant and made sure we were well looked after right up until we left the following morning. I really couldn't recommend this hotel highly enough

Room Tip: Well we had the bridal suite so if you can get that then go for it
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Karl K
Guernsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Stayed here after my flight got cancelled.

I usually end up in coroporate chain hotels, but were booked in here by our travel bookers when Bewleys was full. Was very pleasantly surprised, from the friendly welcome, to the excellent dinner, worthy of a much more expensive hotel.

Room was great, plenty of room to loung around, very comfortable four poster bed, and a massive flat screen tv.

Bathroom was well equipped with a nice hot shower. Hotel toiletries were better than some boutique hotels that I have stayed at and both the room and bathroom were spotlessly clean.

No airport noise at all, although there was some general hotel noise early evening this subsided later and certainly did not disturb my stay.

The evening meal menu was interesting and varied, qualit of the food excellent. I had chicken livers, mushroom, bacon potato salad for starter and venison pie for main, all very well cooked and imaginatively presented.

Breakfast was one of the best "full english" I've had at a hotel.

Free airport bus was quick and efficient. All staff were very friendly and helpful.

My only disappointment was the non- functioning free wifi, the guys at the desk had no clue how to fix it, and when I suggested the router would probably need rebooting, they did not know what I was talking about. The plus side was I wasn't able to work and couple properly relax.

This hotel makes a refreshing change from the faceless chain hotels that I normally stay in. Felt like a traditional, good quality family hotel.

Would definitely stay again when on business in the Manchester area, and would have know qualms about staying here with the rest of my family as well.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Bolton, Lancs
Reviewed 16 February 2012

We stayed here as we got married at a local venue and they recommended the venue to us. DGH also contacted the hotel on our behalf for which we were given a booking reference for our wedding party. We got the bridal suite free of charge for filling so many rooms. They were also helpful as they offer to transfer your guests from the hotel to the wedding venue and back once the wedding has ended, free of charge. The rooms are gorgeous, hotel is lovely and the staff are very helpful. Overall, very pleased and would recommend.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Louise B
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Ten people had a fantastic party over two days at New Year, the staff were excellent nothing was too much trouble.
The evening room was laid out brilliantly with the standard of food service and entertainment again excellent.
We have all agreed to come again next year,

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2012

I have stayed at the Etrop Grange many times in the past when I've had to visit Manchester on business. It is very convenient for the airport and certainly more personal and friendly than the big airport chains. (Also although close to the airport it's relatively quite.)
It is, however a while since I'd been there and this time, I decided it definitely needs a refurb - everything is looking very used. Rooms are traditionally furnished which looks good but isn't always practical as I couldn't see the TV when I was in bed (as I had a iron bedstead) and the lighting was very dim. The room was also very small. I had a very warm welcome but rather a cold check-out and no help with the luggage. On the second day I was there they had a big meeting on and the car park was full with no provision for guests' cars.
I ate in the restaurant one night and the food and service were very good. I recommend the duck.

Room Tip: Near the reception - the route I had was very complicated!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business