“Everyone has visit MoSI!”

Museum of Science & Industry
Ranked #21 of 199 things to do in Manchester
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Museum of Science and Industry sits in the heart of Manchester, the world's first industrial city. It houses the world's oldest surviving passenger railway station and the world's first railway warehouse from 1830, which are located at the end of the museum site. On a visit to the museum, you will see amazing objects and learn about the men and women whose ideas changed the world forever. Daily demonstrations bring the museum's world class collection of textile and industrial machinery to life. There are interactive exhibits to explore and a regular programme of changing exhibitions to enjoy.
Reviewed January 14, 2018

I've been going to the Museum of Science and Industry for as long as I can remember, and always love going back. There's lots to do for the whole family, and even big geeks like me! I've always been a science addict so it's nice to pop along for an hour or so to immerse yourself in British heritage and some of the newer exhibitions on offer. Great little coffee shop too, and in easy walking distance from Deansgate or Salford Central train station too!

Write a ReviewReviews (7,268)
All reviews
"half term"
in 76 reviews
"great place to visit"

Reviewed January 13, 2018 via mobile

This place was lots of fun. We were supposed to be there only for 1h but it was so interesting that we ended up attending all possible demonstrations.
Definitely I learned a lot and had a great time.

Reviewed January 12, 2018 via mobile

I have visited MOSI many times over the years. When my children were younger it was one of their favourite places to go on a wet day. We hadn't been for a couple of years, so decided to take our My brother's family when they came to stay.

Unfortunately it was rather a disappointment. It was 29th December, so I guess they may have reduced staffing and so closed things over Christmas, but even the exhibits were a bit of a let down. I suspect funding cuts may be partly to blame, as this used to be a great fun, educational day out.

None of the engines were operating in the steam hall, presumably due to staff holidays. 'Underground Manchester' was closed because of damp.

The experiment section, which we have particularly enjoyed in the past, had several exhibits that weren't working or had pieces missing. The soft play area for younger children had hardly anything in it, whereas it used to be full of big, brightly coloured foam shapes.

The area downstairs with draws of interesting things to look at had the wrong things in some of the draws and no information beyond names.

We ended up spending most of our time in the textiles area and the air and space hall, then heading to the Arndale Centre! The textile area was well worth a visit, but could do with more information boards. One of our guests commented that it would be good if the boards were numbered too, so you follow the processes or historical events through in order, because there isn't an obvious route through.

Before I take guests again, I will telephone to check what's open!

Reviewed January 9, 2018 via mobile

Housed in the first passenger railway station in the world, the place where the UK set its first unified time zone. A tribute to great Northern Engineers and the future.

See more reviews
Reviewed January 8, 2018 via mobile

It’s a nice place to spend your time during a visit at Manchester, but personally I have seen better ones.. I don’t say that is not worth to be visited, but is not the museum that I was expecting.. my son enjoy more his visit since is interesting on Robots and the gallery with the robots are the diamond of the museum even if you have to pay to enter at the specific room.. I didn’t like the way they use people by telling them that is Free entrance, but when you reach the entrance they are asking for a donation instead , if you want they tells you..Personally I will not visit again the specific museum, but if someone ask me I will mentioned to them the positive and the negatives, so will decide by himself

1  Thank Tazmania14575