1,911 results
All reviews portland street city centre q park comfortable bed main road would stay again short stay palace theatre one night stay car park night's sleep piccadilly station noise earplugs kettle gig pounds
Reviewed July 7, 2012

The IBIS formula has an onsite bar & restaurant, British & continental breakfast, pay-for wifi.
It's like any other except that in addition the staff made a very good impression - tourist guidance on checkin, a room check for us when we thought we'd left an umbrella in the room, held luggage for us, and refused a tip. Perfect at that level, £66/night for double B&B. Only niggle is that the bathroom door was stiff and had to be banged to close. Location just one block from St. Peter's square, 5 min walk to Oxford Rd station for train to airport.

Date of stay: July 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

Thank you for your kind comments and compliments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Ibis Manchester Centre and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed July 4, 2012

I have had to travel to Manchester 4 times in the last 3 weeks and had 4 less than happy experiences in 4 hotels priced at over 80 GBP per night, one of which claimed to be 4 star, yet had one of the dirtiest rooms I have ever stayed in - both in the UK and overseas!

It was therefore with some trepidation that I was booked into the Ibis on Portland Street, my 5th different hotel in Manchester in 3 weeks! However, I am relieved to say that all was well and my expectations were well and truly exceeded. Check-in was efficient and the woman who served me was friendly and polite. Good start!

The rooms are basic and are like study bedrooms in a hall of residence (with the exception of having a double bed) even down to the 'drop in' bathroom units. But all was clean and well maintained and the bed was a good quality foam mattress on a solid base - others have complained about the mattresses being thin, but for me I would rather have a bed with a foam mattress that is firm and supportive (you cant feel the base through the mattress I should add - well at least I couldnt and I weigh almost 12 stone) rather than the cheap and worn sprung mattresses with huge hollows in from the many previous occupants that seem to be an almost ubiquitous feature of too many hotels in the UK!!

The room was quiet with the window shut (my room faced onto the busy Portland Street) and air conditioning sort of works - I say 'sort of' because I set it to 15 degrees to cool the room down quickly and it had no great effect and I was a little too warm in the night, and that is my only grumble about this place - aside from the guest who thought it was appropriate to smoke in the stairwell and leave his cigarette butt on the carpet - why do so many people insist on behaving like dogs??!

Breakfast was fine - really tasty and plump sausages (not the usual rubbish that gets served up), a decent fruit salad and plenty of other choices - and the most pleasant and polite gentleman greeting breakfast guests in a very genuine way. The breakfast area was also noticably very, very clean.

Checkout was a little slow, but there were a lot of people checking out at the same time so I can forgive this.

So, all in all I was relieved to find a hotel in Manchester that was clean, comfortable, quiet and friendly - its taken a while (5 trips and 5 different hotels!) but the Ibis was just fine - OK its not going to win any architecture or interior design awards, but it has all the basics right, something that too many UK hotels seem to struggle with. Thank you to the Ibis staff for restoring my faith in the Manchester hotel industry!! For the price, this puts my previous 4 Manchester hotels to shame - I wouldn't go back to any of them if you paid me, but I would happily return to this particular Ibis hotel.

Date of stay: July 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
4  Thank PhilLondonUK
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

Thank you for your very kind words. They are very much appreciated. Also thank you very much for your feedback with regards to the great service that you experienced from the team they were delighted with the feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back at Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street Hotel.

Reviewed July 4, 2012

OK I'm not going to bore you by going into detail but if your looking for a good location at a good price then this is probably it. 5 minutes from the shops, round the corner from China Town, the location is as good as it gets. Rooms are small but great shower! If it overlooks the main road then obviously there will be a certain degree of noise but if your in Manchester just for the weekend I can highly recommend this hotel! :)

Date of stay: October 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chopper-Spain
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Ibis Manchester Centre and look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

check in was OK room usual ibis standard,i wanted a meal at about 3pm and the in room menu said they had range of meals available all day so i went down to reception and requested my and sat down in about 10 -15 mins was told it was not available so i left and went down road to Yates and had similar for £1 cheaper.Came back to have shower no shelf to put hair shampoo on and the towels were very very small and thin and threadbare,the shower its self was fine hot and powerful,The air conditioing was hard to control. check out was good

Date of stay: June 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

Thank you for posting your thoughts on here, we really value your feedback. We are currently looking into new towels for the bathroom and I would like to apologise that we did not have the meal you wanted to order however we do offer a full range of meals and snacks from our menu 24/7. I look forward to welcoming you back at Ibis Manchester Centre.

Kind regards, I

oannis Koletakis

Reviewed July 2, 2012

The hotel was clean and good central position. The staff was friendly and prepared, we was able to store the luggage until the check in at 14.00.

Date of stay: June 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

Thank you for posting your thoughts on here, we really value your feedback. We are currently looking into new towels for the bathrooms and I would like to apologise that we did not have the meal though we do offer a wide range of food on our hotel menu. I look forward to welcoming you back at Ibis Manchester Centre.