Fairways Lodge & Leisure Club
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
View Hotel
All reviewsleisure facilitiestrouser pressblack puddingbooked roomscity centrebudget hotelstayed here for one nightconcert
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Stayed for one night with partner. We had a few drinks and a snack in the hotel bar and it's a nice place, seems to attract locals as well as guests.
The rooms were average but comfortable, although it might be best to ask not to be put above the squash courts.

Breakfast next morning was very good, would return just for that!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms that aren't above squash courts
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Spent one night at the Lodge and have to say that staff were very friendly and the room was clean and of a good and basic standard, beds a tad hard. Food in the bar was excellent and very reasonably priced. Breakfast was very good. Cannot concur with other people's derogatory comments. but I definitely would stay again. Didn't visit the leisure facilities, so cannot comment.

Reviewed 20 January 2012

Just returned after attending a funeral party, the bathroom facilities looked clean. The staff were very friendly and efficient. The bar staff were very quick to serve you at the bar, the buffet was excellent with plenty of choice, hot and cold dishes. The areas where we sat were clean, comfortable.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Patricia J
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Booked through Booking.com the website had no mention of the problems that were created.

On arrival the reception looked very presentable, our room; room 6 was clean but very dated, except for a pool of urine on the bathroom floor besides the toilet. I cleaned this up, as I needed to use the facility.
The toilet roll had not been replenished by the room cleaner, two half used rolls were placed on poles under the sink unit.
The beds were really lumpy & hard, looks as though the apprentice maid had made up the bed, very shabby. TheCoving around the ceiling was cracked and Damaged.
After being in the room for a short while; we heard bumping noises coming from the ceiling area,
This went on for a good 35 minutes, so I proceeded to the Reception to ask if workmen were working above.
Their Answer totally knocked me for SIX! No its the SQUASH COURT above the bedrooms and they dont finish till 20:00 hrs Mon- Fri and 18:30 during the week-Ends.
So no piece and Quiet in this establishment for paying Guests.
We turned in for bed around 23:00 hrs, at around 23:30 this loud noise started within the bedroom, it sounded as though it was a Truck reving outside.
I got out of my bed to investigate, checked outside, to find out it was the hotel laundry machines situated next door to our room.
I had to get dressed to find a Night porter, then argue for him to turn off the damm racket & noise.
With the beds being so hard and lumpy we had no sleep at all after the loud wake up call of that noisey Machine.
Breakfast was in the Restaurant area of the hotel, (if your over 5ft tall, watch your Head, the ceiling is low) Only three tables on the lower level, perfect if your Disabled like myself, as no access to the raised area for disabled guests.
The Breakfast was undercooked and cold, even the tea & coffee were luke warm..

I asked the Reception for a Refund of my Second night, asI would not be staying in this Hell Hole one more night.
I was refused as no Management were Available over the Week-Ends.
IF I KNEW THAT A SQUASH COURT WAS ABOVE THE BEDROOM, I WOULD NEVER HAVE BOOKED THIS DISASTER OF A WEEK-END BREAK......NO WONDER IS SO CHEAP!!!!!!

Room Tip: No room is Quieter, take decent Ear-Plugs if you require Quiet....
3  Thank Bryan A
Reviewed 15 January 2012

We booked from Friday till Sunday but were never made aware that the Squash court was above our room. Bang, bang bang for half an hour before we enquired and were told.This continued until 8pm and we found out it was all day Saturday and Sunday until 7pm.

We were awoken at half 11pm by what I thought was a car running outside our window only to find we were next to the laundry room and they had put the tumble dryers on.

Next morning we went for breakfast, the bar floor/carpets were dirty with mud ? and when we entered the loft ( that's where breakfast is served ) we found out why its called the loft. Apart from 3 tables everything else is up a flight of stairs, so you have to choose your cereal etc and then carry it up a flight of stairs. No good if you are disabled and cant climb stairs.Although we were lucky enough to get one of the 3 down stairs tables. When I say lucky it was before I received my breakfast, one word..Un-edible, the sausages were undercooked, the beans and Tomatoes were cold and the bacon was hard. ( we went to Morrisons )

The room was clean but looked very tired and needed redecorating. The pool of Urine in front of the toilet had to be mopped up.

Would we stay there again, not if you paid me. We were told there was no refunds and that there was no management available at weekends.

If they had advertised about the squash courts being in the same part of the building as the bedrooms we would not have booked. And I dont think others would either.

3  Thank sweaverq