“Before posting this review, I emailed the restaurant four times and four times to head office”

San Carlo Fiorentina
Ranked #308 of 2,561 Restaurants in Manchester
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed April 4, 2018

For the attention of Joanna, General Manager

Good afternoon

I thought I should write to you regarding our experience on Mother’s day, I do not like posting bad reviews on trip advisor before giving the restaurant a chance to reply first, but you have given me no option.

Firstly I got the usual phone call asking me to confirm our table (Thursday), then again another one on Saturday!

When we arrived at the restaurant promptly for 1.30 pm we informed the waiter of our arrival and we were told the table wasn’t ready, and just left to stand. We made our way to the central island, perhaps we could have been directed to the bar or given menus. We waited another fifteen minutes when the waiter appeared and said the table was ready, he then disappeared so we found the only empty table - very faulty towers esq! The waiter didn't take our drinks to the table, which is unprofessional.

We were asked after 30 seconds if we were ready to order, obviously we were not but we asked to order wine and water. I asked for Ice and lemon three times for the water. The starter arrived, my ravioli was horrendous the sauce was inedible as it was so salty, I sent it back, when a new one eventually came out (slightly undercooked) it was covered in cream. At this stage of the meal I didn’t want to complain again as my other family members had finished their starters.

At the stage the restaurant did in fact turn into Faulty Towers. A waiter rushed passed shouting “Three very bad words” - not appropriate, irrelevant to the restaurant having younger customers. One went passed singling very loudly, then another proceeded to lift a chair over the heads of my husband and son.

The main courses were awful, my daughter and I ordered the lobster and steak, medium, it came out rare, so we sent it back, ten minutes later it came out again, the lobster obviously the same as it was cold, the steak was blue, and not fillet, inedible. The waiter we had was very apologetic, my husband and son had finished their meals and I was no longer hungry, but my daughter, who had come from university for the day was, so we asked for just a plain fillet, which arrived with two side plates, very strange, the spinach was left from the previous meal so was cold, we asked for béarnaise sauce, but just Luke warm cream came out.

Then when we tried to ask for the bill, a waiter appeared and put down small pieces of cake in the middle without an explanation, I don’t eat cake!

It was the worst experience we have ever had in a restaurant. We visit many of the restaurants in the San Carlo group, in fact I was there yesterday in Selfridges, Manchester and never had such an experience.

I look forward to receiving a reply.

2  Thank Twinkle37

Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

The food here is just wonderful. If I want a good Italian I know where to go now! I look forward to trying San Carlo’s other branches too.

Reviewed March 29, 2018 via mobile

We booked the Marriott hotel rather than the radisson because we saw it had this restaurant . We have eaten at SanCarlo in Manchester and ci hetti in London and kendals . Always fantastic food, service and great nights out. Well I am afraid that this was not the case . The waiter was so moody , ignorant and just plain rude. We complained to what we believe was the manager. He said the waiter was s nice guy. He laughed at us and then he had a massive attitude problem. The two of them totally spoiled the whole evening .the people sat on tables either side of us had the same experience !
Sorry Marriott but you need to sort this out , looking at reviews on here I am not the first to complain .

2  Thank Mary P
Reviewed March 25, 2018

Fantastic food , in a lovely environment, definitely worth a visit , easy to access from the airport , plenty of parking

Reviewed March 22, 2018 via mobile

We had dinner at San Carlo before flying out or Manchester and it was the best Italian I’ve ever had! Everything was great from service to food and yes a tad more expensive than most but it’s worth it.