“Nice hotel shame the phone didn't work”

Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel
Ranked #65 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel shame the phone didn't work”
Reviewed 28 May 2012 via mobile

Whilst the mercure is a nice hotel and is in a great location I would not want to spend longer than 1 night here as a lone traveller, Checkin and out was flawless, however the phone didn't work in my room and maintenance leave at 5.30 leaving me without a phone for the night, choices on TV and reception are worse than poor and there is no in room wifi, that said the good was great, aside when they brought.me coffee and not tea, its not a bad hotel there is just better for the money

• Stayed May 2012
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2012
Dear Guest

Guest feedback is extremely important to us and I thank you for taking the time to feedback your experience of the Hotel.

I can fully appreciate when travelling alone, that the amenities offered within a bedroom can be of great importance. I was therefore sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the TV channel offering and that free WIFI was not available your bedroom. Free WIFI is currently available in our Restaurant/Lounge Bar area, as well as public areas, and I am delighted to report that going forward we are due to roll out free WIFI within our bedrooms too. My apologies that your phone wasn’t working at the time of your stay.

Thank you for your candid feedback and I do hope that sometime in the future we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back.

David Daly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (593)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
tommypip
Reviewed 28 May 2012

For the first time in many years, I travelled as a solo traveller. Usually stay at Velvet, Radisson Edwardian, or Hilton Piccadilly (formerly Mint) and have reviewed all on here. I booked very last minute, the morning of travel, and this was one of few hotels with a vacancy.I am so glad I stayed here!

Location- excellent, few minutes from Piccadilly train station, right slap bang in the centre of the city.There is on site parking. My suite overlooked Piccadilly Gardens, lovely, and so handy for food, drinks, newsagents, etc. There is a Londis and other shops underneath the hotel, and a Cafe Nerro, Costa, Starbucks, Bella Italia, Burger King within 1 minute of hotel, as well as a million independents in the Northern Quarter, China Town and the Gay Village. Please do get a city guide from the likes of WH Smith, makes sure you see all the city has to offer.

First impressions, reception is not on ground level, which was strange, but I came to like it, as it meant getting to my room was easier and quieter. I arrived a little early and had to wait for room, no problem. About 100 foreign tourists decended on reception, and I though 'oh no, I will be here for hours', but they were dealt with as a group at a separate desk, I was seen within 8 minutes. Problem, the first key I was given to room 515 had occupants in it! A fluke error, went straight back to reception, and the gentleman, I think he was the manager but forgot to take name, was amazing! He really made my stay. He upgraded me to a suite, 608, for the trouble, and took me up personally to ensure no more errors. Wow, what a lovely suite, my favourite so far in Manchester. Cool, lovely view, quiet, spacious, so clean, was very happy. I will stay in this suite again, was a home from home.

Safety- being a solo traveller this time, I needed to feel secure. The room is very safe, 2 inner bolts as well as the usual lock, I was situated at the end of the 6th floor, and did not have any problems.

I did not use restaurant or bar, as I was in and out the whole weekend, but the whole hotel looked very good.

Sleep quality- was a little hard to get to sleep due to noise of trams, outdoor noise (drums!) and bangings doors, but once I did, I slept like a log and did not wake until morning. Bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept in at a hotel.

Staff- all staff were lovely, even the cleaners who work so hard, were pleasant and friendly. My stay was made by the professional and friendly attitude of the manager who served me. If more hotels had managers like this, they would be more popular.

Thank you for a wonderful stay, I would recommend this hotel to anyone. I cannot wait to return, feel I have found a real gem.

Room Tip: Get a suite if at all possible. Otherwise, ask for a view of Piccadilly Gardens.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank seahorsesparkle
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for sharing such a fantastic review of the Mercure Manchester Piccadilly with Tripadvisor.

It was great to read that you had such an enjoyable stay; it will certainly give me great pleasure to share your review with the whole team.

Many thanks once again and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2012

my parents stayed at the hotel for 3 nights from 18 May, and had a lovely stay at the hotel. All of the staff were so very helpful, polite and friendly, at all times and couldnt do enough to help and assist in any way that they could. the menu for breakfast was varied and offered a good choice to suit every person's requirement and the hotel is wonderfully situated, and is a ideal base for anyone staying in manchester. Really good value for money, the room was really nice with a lovely view, and we would use this hotel again for sure.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your parent’s recent experience of our Hotel with Tripadvisor; we really do appreciate you taking the time to do this on your parent’s behalf.

I was delighted to hear that they had such an enjoyable stay with us and it goes without saying that we would be delighted to welcome your family back to the Hotel, which I hope will be in the not too distant future.

Many thanks once again.
Kind regards,
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2012

Booked to see Phantom of the Opera at the Palace Theatre.
The Mercure Hotel is in an ideal position for the theatre and added benefit being close to China Town and the shops. Perfect for our stay in Manchester
All the staff we met were very pleasent.
Will be back to the Mercure.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. Customer feedback is extremely important to us and therefore you taking the time to share your experience and reporting your stay as being perfect with your fellow Tripadvisor viewers, is really appreciated.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon, perhaps on a future theatre break.

Reviewed 24 May 2012

I stay in manchester fairly often, this was the worst, it was rubbish, grimy windows, tiny room, you get what you pay for i guess. location was great, i guess thats why i ibooked it, pay a little more next time and find somewhere slighly better.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Hungry_Diner1
Dear Guest

It goes without saying that I was extremely disappointed to hear that we failed to meet your expectations on your recent visit to Manchester.

As you can you see from reviews that have been posted by your fellow Tripadvisor contributors, I am pleased to say we generally exceed guest expectations; I am only too sorry that this was not the case for you on this occasion. Although I do appreciate that you may look for alternative accommodation on future visits, I do hope that sometime in the future you may give us another try.

David Daly

Travellers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
0.3 km away
Arora Hotel Manchester
#20 of 116 in Manchester
0.8 km away
Jurys Inn Manchester City Centre

Been to Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel? Share your experiences!