“Nice well located hotel, poor restaurant”

DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly
Ranked #18 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 25 April 2011

We stayed on the spring break for one night which was excellent value including breakfast and we opted for the 3 courses for 2 people for 20 pounds which again was excellent value.

We arrived at 11:30am and were able to checkin and were given a nice modern room. Having stayed in the mint westminster and mint tower we knew what to expect from the rooms. The rooms were nice and modern. Good air con as it was warm outside.

We went exploring the city and returned at 7:30pm for our dinner reservation the restaurant was not particularly busy. We advised of our booking and were seated straight away. We were given the menu's and I asked about the offer we booked and prepaid. Clearly nobody takes this offer as the waiter look dumbfounded. Asked the manager who looked at him strangely then went to the computer to check, Finally came back and advised of the options to pick. For the duration of the meal I noticed the waiters and waitresses arguing not in front of guests but in view which was not very professional. The food was only ok, nice starter, main not very good, dessert adequate but what left a bad note was when we left I signed the meal to our room and left to go into town. I was waiting outside the hotel and the restaurant manager ran out and said I hadnt scanned my card at checkin for extras so they couldn't charge to my room. I told him I had but if he wanted me too I could again. He marched me to the checkin desk and asked the checkin assistant to scan my card. She advised it was already charged. He then did not offer any apology but wished me a good evening. I was more than annoyed to be honest. It felt like he was accusing me of leaving the hotel without paying. Even if I hadn't scanned the card I was staying at the hotel and would have had to check out in the morning anyway to pay. Poor poor service.
Hotel is a nice well located hotel for manchester but do not eat at the restaurant, poor service and arguing amongst staff not to mention the appalling management style.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,298)

Reviewed 25 April 2011

The hotel is a two minute walk from Manchester Piccadily station and the city centre. The hotel is really friendly, clean and good value for money. There is free wifi, the rooms are spacious and modern and have an Apple TV and computer. Will definitely stay again. Perfect for short breaks.

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed 19 April 2011

A two night stay over a busy weekend. Reserved parking in basement was appreciated as was the warm and friendly greeting at reception.

Club room had corner view and from the 8th floor this was a constant distraction, watching the street-life below.

Dinner was fine with good food and service for OK prices.

With an unexpected need to accommodate one extra person on a fully booked Saturday night, the totally wonderful Zizi at reception arranged an upgrade to a 10th floor suite with a spectacular view, at no additional cost. What great service. This alone would ensure I return.

Highly recommended, has a touch of class above all the others competing at this level.

Room Tip: Go early for breakfast....
Reviewed 17 April 2011

I have have traveled to Manchester on numerous occasions and have stayed at various central hotels however on this occasion I booked into The Mint for the Saturday night due to its central location and good reviews. I wasn't disappointed and can only reiterate the earlier comments made here. The receptionist was fantastic and I was made to feel genuinely welcome even though I was one of many queuing to check in. I booked a Club room (444) and was pleasantly surprised by the view over Manchester's version of 'Times Square', quality of fitments and attention to detail. Included in the room price was a bottle of wine from the mini-bar, bottle of water, newspaper and box of chocolates... small items but enhanced the overall experience. The room wasn't big but the layout was well thought out and even though there was no bath the shower room was immaculately clean (as was the rest of the room). The Apple computer entertainment system and free wi-fi were a nice touch and the room service dinner in the evening and full English breakfast in the morning were perfect if a little pricey. All I can say is well done to The Mint team and I'll be staying here again on my next visit.

Room Tip: Great location, good value, friendly and stylish
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 April 2011

Great welcome by staff, helpful and freindly. Everyone seemed very well trained and there to provide a first class service. Great location, right outside the train station.
Rooms were fine, bright and stylish (for a chain they were shockingly good!) . Good breakfast, lots of choice and cooked food was well done. Thanks

Room Tip: Bar has good cocktails and big choice of whiskey
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 April 2011

A really good hotel. Excellent location and great service- reception was warm, efficient and welcoming. Breakfast had a range of things to chose from and very efficient. Really enjoyed my stay here and would definately return... in fact am!! My only minor quibbles are: would be a bonus if there was a bath, the lighting in the room was a bit low so reading or doing any work was difficult/ not possible and the shower vent had mould spores in it, which just freaked me out a bit! Gym facilities were great- nice and quiet first thing although believe its busier after 5pm. Free internet access was a great bonus!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 April 2011

Stayed here with my husband on a Thomas Cook Sports package to see a Manchester Utd match. Hotel really was everything we wanted in a city centre hotel - very close to the tram stop (which took us straight to Old Trafford), and walking distance to restaurants and nightlife in Picadilly. Service was great - they even let us check-in early as they had a room ready. Room was fine size wise and not only did it have an opening window it also had individually controlled air conditioning and fan. Shower was one of the best. Nice toiletries and bath robes as well. Perfect nights sleep with no noice whatsoever. Our package came with breakfast - which was absolutely brilliant - really good quality and lots of it! Fantastic breakfast service as well. I think it would have cost £15 if booked seperately - which whilst costly would definately be worth the price. Absolutely no complaints about the Mint Hotel - and would definately stay there next time we are in the city. Only comment I would make is that on checking-in they offered us the hotel carpark at £15 for 24 hours - when that made me wince they did tell me that we could use the nearby multi-storey and get a validated / discounted ticket on checkout - which cost us £10 in the end. Certainly worth doing if you haven't got heaps of luggage - probably a five minute walk from the hotel (N.B It is the Picadilly Place car park NOT the one directly opposite the hotel.