“Great place and staff, shame about the food.”

Walkabout Manchester - The Printworks
Ranked #171 of 224 Nightlife in Manchester
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Come in and enjoy our laid back Australian feel that sets us apart from other bars with a massive 10 screen video wall adorned with imagery from beach scenes to under water sea life. Not only this, but our 60” TV screens are perfect for catching the latest sports fixtures, as well as an authentic Aussie food and drink menu for you to enjoy.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Reviewed April 4, 2018

Going to the Sam Smith concert in Manchester (fabulous), we went into Walkabout in the Print works for a bite to eat and a couple of drinks.
The place was great, lovely atmosphere and the staff really good , pleasant , friendly.
Order taken at the bar for food, not many people eating and we only saw a waitress come out with food about every 20 minutes , so we were surprised our standard meals took ONE HOUR to come out. Mine was supposedly home cooked steak in ale pie with mash and peas. It looked like a chippy type pie and appeared to have been re-heated several times as the pastry and filling were rock hard. My partners meal wasn't that good either , we decided not to have another drink, ate part of the meals and went.
We wont be back, such a shame as its a nice place for a drink.
And the staff were very good.

All reviews
"what it says on the tin"
"friendly bar staff"
"decor"
"football"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed March 30, 2018 via mobile

Bank holiday afternoon & the place was quite busy. Big crowd of noisy lads at the bar, but the two women servers kept them in line! Food arrived quickly, a minor issue was solved straight away. Chicken fillet & sweet potato fries were hot & tasty; halloumi & avo sandwich was nice, even if avo was a bit under-ripe. Great value & good service. Thanks.

1  Thank DollyGingersocks
Reviewed March 14, 2018

We visited on Tuesday evening after work. Service was ok but it was unclear food was to be ordered at the bar or if it was table service and I did have trouble understanding one of the bar staff. The food and drink were reasonable. We ordered a bunch of snacks between 3 of us for £12.95 per head. One of the dishes was unavailable so we had to substitute. There was plenty to go around and all of us were full when we finished. The Tin of chilli was very nice but could have done with having the chilli all the way down rather than just a desert spoon full on top of wedges. Parmi skewers were nice too as were the corn fritters. I liked the setting, very relaxed with tables and booths. The toilets could do with a makeover as they were very scruffy and grubby. I wouldn't recommend for a romantic evening or for fine dining but it suits for a quick, relatively cheap meal and a few drinks with mates

Reviewed February 4, 2018 via mobile

I'm absolutely disgusted with your door staff.
So we visit the venue all 16 of us having a great time. Four of us leave the front door I mentioned to the door staff that we were going for a fag we'd be 10 mins stood in the smoking area by weatherspoons. Ran into the police duty sergeant who I know for various professional reasons had quick chat walked back to walkabout with him and his officers still chatting said good bye. At this point we'd been out for about an hour I'm stone cold sober as I'm the only one out of all of us who doesn't drink. So the door staff open the door I walk in and wait for the other three only to see your door staff hand palm my friend mid chest pushing him a few steps back directly into his girlfriend and my partner. So I ask what the problem is and apparently he's too drunk we'd been out an hour he'd had two drinks they'd seen us go to the smoking area and stand speaking to my officer friend for the last 10mins not only was he not in any way shape or form drunk, but if that was the case why when he was in the venue previously was he not removed or if it was member of staffs opinion that he was let's say tipsy then why was a simple arm across the door the block the path not used. So that the situation could have been explained he had absolutely no reason to physically touch my friend who was actually quite scared and bewildered by the whole situation as he doesn't like confrontation. I asked simply why he didn't mention that my friend was unable to re-enter the venue when I said we were nipping out to the smoking area as I'd already told him that's where we were going. To which he responded that I was a silly girl and not to ask about things I don't understand. At this point my partner wasn't happy so I removed him and our two friends asked them to walk to Yates why I got everyone else as I didn't want to make the situation worse. So they did I then was refused entry to collect the rest of our friends and our belongings coats for the four of us and our handbags which had my phone in it. I then had to go and find my partner and two friends to the use his phone to ring our friends who were still inside the venue to let them no where we were and ask them to bring our belongings. The whole situation was blown well out of proportion by one single member of staff. Venue security and customer safety is there top priority been physical towards a member of the public is an absolute last resort he was not incoherent he could stand and purely from speaking to him it was evidently clear he wasn't drunk. I completely understand that sometimes it's hard to differentiate between types of people and there state of intoxication. However to make such comments and act how your staff did was out of order. There was in total 16 of us if we were the wrong kind of people imagine the worst case situation that could of arose from his behaviour.
I am taking this further to the SIA. Just for your information this silly little girl has started at the bottom and for the last 10years worked her way up to regional manager of none other than the west midlands leading security firms dealing with everything from night club's to airport security and everything in-between, I have done the job and still do. This silly little girl is furious not because we weren't let back in but because of how your staff think it is acceptable to handle a situation like that which was purely a matter of opinion.

2  Thank Cherrie-rose D
See more reviews
Reviewed January 28, 2018

A days shopping,then into printworks for lunch,big mistake.found a table got drinks ordered food now worries. 1 all day breakfast and 1 bbq chicken plate,40 minutes later food came 2 seconds later breakfast went straight back everything was stone cold. Waiter took it from me I returned to the table and started my chook wich was ok. 5 min later breakfast came back obviously been microwaved everything was rubber and over cooked. Waitress came over with an apology about the cold food and gave us 2 free meal cards,explained about the breakfast being microwaved and she went to the kitchen then came back with a full refund for both meals. She was embarrassed about it all and apologetic. All the kitchen had to do was make a new breakfast but they thought who cares just throw it in the microwave,so they cost there boss 2 meals and a refund and 2 customers who will never come back and who will tell everyone who will listen not to go there.

1  Thank showann