“Nice little room to rest and relax.”

Couvent des Franciscains
Ranked #68 of 131 Hotels in Strasbourg
Reviewed 9 March 2017

The room was clean and quaint. Enjoyed the breakfast and lounge area with friends. The lounge has a cute cat in it, but she's feisty! The location is good, with public transportation nearby. It's a nice place to rest after a busy day seeing the town.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bernard J
sebastien d, Gérant at Couvent des Franciscains, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2017

Dear Mr Bernards J,

Thanks you for taking the time to write a review on your last stay.

We are pleased that your stay have been a success, and we hope to welcome you again soon.

Oreo, our cat (male) is very young and we hope that he will be less feisty in the future....

Regards.

Sébastien.

Reviewed 11 January 2017

The hotel is on a main street not too far from train station & a straight shot down to the Cathedrale Notre Dame de Strasbourg. We booked a room for 3 people but ended up only needing a room for 2. The room they gave us had a double bed & then a twin bed slightly separated from the double bed by a wall & doorway. The twin bed was right next to the bathroom. There wasn't a view from our room but we could look into the apartment building next door. (which was kind of fun seeing how a local family lives) The room was very sparse with not much character. Almost like a dorm room, but i was OK with that since i only used the place for sleeping. The bed was comfortable & bathroom was fine. There isn't a coffee/tea maker in the room either but they have a nice lounge area in the reception area where you can help yourself to tea or coffee. I actually liked the lounge area a lot. They had some sofas, chairs & a dining area by a mini kitchen area with a TV & books. I believe we paid about $135 USA dollar for our room which wasn't cheap but not outrageous. It's also nice that it close to all the tourist spots without being right in the middle of the hustle & bustle. I would definitely recommend for a short stay. On another note i have to say the person who checked us in was really nice & helpful, i can't remember his name. Where as some of the other front desk people were not has warm or friendly.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank deborah g
sebastien d, Gérant at Couvent des Franciscains, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2017

Hello,

We thank you for visiting our hotel and posting a few notice. We are happy you enjoyed your stay in our hotel. Best regards

Reviewed 14 December 2016 via mobile

i arrived after 1AM due to late trains.

I walked i and was greeted like an old friend.

i instantly felt at home.

i got my room key and went upstairs to drop my bag.

i know rooms in France are small but this was smaller than my bed at home.

went sown and had a beer in the lounge. very modern and very clean.

back to the room to crash and woke up in a sweat in the middle of the night. it was so hot i had to,open a window...brutal.

then went to,take a shower and water was only lukewarm,,not hot.

on my way out the next morning I was again warmly greeted and when I asked how to get to Petite France the desk clerk got a map out, showed me where it was and gave me easy to folow directions.

each interaction with each different clerk was great !

Real down to,earth people and when no guests need them they are wiping down the walls keeping the place immaculate.

for me only downside was room. yeah i know thats why you go there but such a great staff deserves recognition also.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Travelloverdelmundo
sebastien d, Responsable relations clients at Couvent des Franciscains, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2017

Dear guest, We are impressed by the good feeling you had discovering and visiting our city and hotel. We thank you for the warm and lovely appreciations.

Hotel desk

Reviewed 15 January 2016

A good value with clean and modern albeit simple rooms with strong AC just across canal from the old city. Really saved me when I stayed during the July 2015 heat wave (35C+) and needed an affordable hotel with AC. Staff overall were very friendly and went out of their way when I needed help, including to make a few calls to locate a lost pair of glasses. Rooms were fairly quiet given its location on main street. The lobby is very modern and has nice places to relax with a small self-service bar and coffee/tea. The breakfast room is downstairs in the old convent with lots of character.

Room Tip: Rooms on side and back of hotel are quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank dc-hiker1
sebastien d, Directeur général at Couvent des Franciscains, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2016

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to post a comment on our hotel.

I am pleased that you have appreciated the localization of hotel close to the historical center of Strasbourg.

I forward your kind comments to our staff especially our to the Front Office.

I look forward to welcoming you again very soon at the Couvent du Franciscain and I stay at your entire disposal, should you require any further assistance.

Best regards.

Sébastien DENYS

Reviewed 30 December 2015 via mobile

We stayed there for one night with family and friends. Room average, service poor. No hot water in the evening.
Woman at the desk complained of the trash we supposedly left in the lobby.
Only good thing was the location next to the center of the city.

Stayed: December 2015, travelled with friends
sebastien d, Gérant at Couvent des Franciscains, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2016

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments concerning your last stay in our hotel.

Nonetheless I was sorry to learn of your last stay at the Couvent du Franciscain which did not meet with your expectations. I do hope I may have an opportunity to make up for your disappointing experience and remain available to extend every assistance in coordinating your future visit to the hotel.

My best regards,

Sébastien Denys

Reviewed 24 December 2015 via mobile

Very good value for money. Reception and rooms are clean and modern. Bathroom looked renewed and was very clean. The room was small. Bed was comfortable. Location is quite central, cross the bridge by foot and you are downtown. Parking is nearby. Staff was friendly and professional, there is a small bar in the reception area to have a coffee or sth.

Try the Libanese small restaurant next door for a lunch or a simple dinner.

Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zainouch

Dear Guests,

Thank you for your kind comments and compliments on Tripadvisor!

We are delighted that you appreciated our hotel and our wonderful location.

I hope we will continue to be your home from home whenever you are in Strasbourg.

I hope to welcome you personally for your next stay at the Hotel Couvent du Franciscain.

Best regards,

Sébastien Denys

Reviewed 14 October 2015

Stayed here 4 nights in August with a friend, but delayed my review until I had made visit booked for early this month when I stayed 4 nights at Hotel Comfort, with partner. Of the two, I found Couvent Franciscains infinitely better. We got a good deal, so paid very little more, but in fairness, the price seems usually to be higher. It is an easy walk from the main train station, with 24 hr reception, which is very useful as the flight in, followed by shuttle bus if no train, can mean quite a late arrival. (Cross station concourse, keep going until the canal, turn left and walk beside canal to Quay Kleber, which has rue du Faubourg-de-Pierre on the left and the hotel is set back a short way up on the right. In all, about 15min max.)
The reception and breakfast room staff are pleasant and helpful. There is a large and comfortable seating area and a reasonably priced beer can be purchased late evening - which is useful as we found no bars open past about 10pm in the immediate area. The breakfast room was attractive and the continental breakfast nice, with decent bread and a DIY egg boiling machine.
Our room was small, but this is typical of similar French hotels I've stayed in. Most importantly it was very clean and airy with a modern bathroom and constant hot water. Beds were comfortable, and we had no problems from noise, in or outside. Free wi-fi connection was good.
The walk into the centre of the old town was enjoyable and not too long - usually around 15 mins, but we varied our route by crossing the canal by different bridges, each one adorned with lovely flower baskets (which are still in bloom in October).
Loved Strausbourg. (Take the seediness out of Amsterdam and the tweeness out of Bruges and what remains is Strasbourg, I think) and recommend this hotel for convenience, comfort and - so long as you shop round - a very good price.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends
2  Thank UkAnnalondon

Thank you!

What wonderful words to bring in the new year!

We are thrilled that we were able to meet and hopefully exceed your expectations and we impatiently await your return for your next stay.

Best regards,