“A cold surprise! :-/”

Couvent des Franciscains
Ranked #69 of 131 Hotels in Strasbourg
Reviewed 10 December 2017

We came to this hotel not by choosing it, but because our reserved hotel was full and send us here.

Passing the main road the hotel is very discrete, it is located in a small street, perpendicular to the main one, not the easy to find. We parked on the small street but we needed to reverse to the main road to go the parking in the other part of the quarter. By doing that we climbed a vertical parking to the 5th floor and our (paid) parking was found. A bit difficult was to find an elevator... no indications and the perspective of doing 5 floors with the luggage was not the best entrance.
But eventually (by testing all doors) we found the elevator and descended to the ground... another small adventure; find the correct exit, so we found ourselves in closed condominium and we had to travel all over the block to come back.

The lobby is ok for the category hotel (***). We took the elevator (freezing inside!) and came to the room. How is possible an elevator be that cold? 8-/

The furniture was simple and according the hotel class.
It was cleaned but in the shower could be better, some signs of mold on the tiles joint.

The room was cold and the bed, even if we booked for a couple one, was configured as twin beds approached. At least the mattress should be configured as "one" to avoid the big gap.

The AC conditioner (ugly inside) was not in heating mode, and changing it just turned it off. Tried and retried and nothing. It was late, so we do not call the reception, the cold was present all night.
We decided a little bath to warm us up but, another problem; the maintenance of the shower was not done for sure, as it spread water all over the place! So even a relaxing bath was a fail.

The next day we get up, left and we will not be back to this place.

By the price I am convinced it is easy to find a better option in Strasbourg.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
sebastien d, Gérant at Couvent des Franciscains, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2017

Dear Manuel O,
I thank you for your comments on the Hotel Couvent du Franciscain in Strasbourg.
I do apologize for the matters and I will do my best to make your future stay in the hotel unforgettable.
Please do not hesitate to contact me personnaly whenever you want,
I stay at your entire disposal, and wish you a merry christmas
My best regards,
Sébastien Denys

Reviewed 7 December 2017

It's a bit out of the way, down a little alley and outside the historic city center, but still an easy walk to most of the things you'll want to see in Strasbourg. We walked easily to all the Christmas market sites. The interior is beautifully updated and sleek, everything was clean and light and comfortable. We had a room for three, as our college-age daughter was with us. She had a little alcove of her own, although it was a pass-through to the bathroom. Very helpful staff, appealing breakfast area (although we didn't eat breakfast in the hotel). There's a huge city map on the lobby wall, which was useful for checking before we headed out and fun to trace our route on when we came in at the end of the day.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Jane S

Dear Jane S,

I thank you for your nice comments on your last stay in the hotel Couvent du Franciscain in Strasbourg.
All the team wish you a merry Christmas and an happy new year 2018.
Our best regards,

Sébastien Denys

Reviewed 12 September 2017 via mobile

Awwwww our stay became more memorable because of Oreo. I remember playing with him at the hotel lobby a lot. So adorable.
Their rooms were also nice and spacious and the food served during breakfast was terrific.
Their staff was also so helpful and accommodating. Made me love Strasbourg all the more.
Hope to visit again soon.
Please hug Oreo for me!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
sebastien d, Responsable relations clients at Couvent des Franciscains, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at the hotel Le Couvent du Franciscain .

It is a pleasure to know that you were pleased by the service provided by our staff and Oreo as well as the location of the hotel, which is indeed very central.

I was thrilled to share your wonderful feedback with all the teams as it is very rewarding for all of us to read such comments.

The entire Le Couvent du Franciscain team looks forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Magali Bonnard
Guest Relation Manager

Reviewed 19 July 2017

I stayed here one night prior to attending a work conference in Strasbourg. I checked in around 6pm after walking from the main train station, and I checked out the next morning around 10.

The staff were friendly and were able to speak English, French, and German. I was able to get by in a combination of all three. The room was clean, airy, well lit, and comfortable. I had no problems, and the staff even checked for a potentially lost item after I checked out. (It was misplaced in a different bag.)

The hotel is conveniently located near the train station. This was useful, since I stayed on a Sunday-Monday, and many shops and restaurants near the train station were open. The hotel is located near a large mall and a tram stop.

I did not try the breakfast, but I saw other guests eating in the morning.

Overall, I would stay here again.

Room Tip: I had a view overlooking the street, but I'm not sure if all rooms have this.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank AP32016
sebastien d, Propriétaire at Couvent des Franciscains, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2017

Dear Guest,

Thanks you for choosing our hotel.

What else can I add to your comment??? Thanks you for your comment which gives us the force to continue improving our hôtel.

Regards.

Sébastien.

Reviewed 18 April 2017 via mobile

I was traveling from Germany and didn't check in until almost 12pm. It's long when you travel far and want to rest somewhere. When I arrived they had tea and biscuits ready and waiting for me, took my bags to the room and even let me keep my car in their secure parking lot for longer than normal the next day. Breakfast was good, room was clean and well stocked with anything I could possibly need. I've been traveling for 3 weeks and this is by far the best place I've stayed in. I booked my room through their website directly and have made it a point to leave them a review on any site I can. They were amazing and so helpful, I would stay here again in a heartbeat!

Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo
4  Thank Amelia F
Reviewed 9 March 2017

The room was clean and quaint. Enjoyed the breakfast and lounge area with friends. The lounge has a cute cat in it, but she's feisty! The location is good, with public transportation nearby. It's a nice place to rest after a busy day seeing the town.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bernard J
sebastien d, Gérant at Couvent des Franciscains, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2017

Dear Mr Bernards J,

Thanks you for taking the time to write a review on your last stay.

We are pleased that your stay have been a success, and we hope to welcome you again soon.

Oreo, our cat (male) is very young and we hope that he will be less feisty in the future....

Regards.

Sébastien.

Reviewed 11 January 2017

The hotel is on a main street not too far from train station & a straight shot down to the Cathedrale Notre Dame de Strasbourg. We booked a room for 3 people but ended up only needing a room for 2. The room they gave us had a double bed & then a twin bed slightly separated from the double bed by a wall & doorway. The twin bed was right next to the bathroom. There wasn't a view from our room but we could look into the apartment building next door. (which was kind of fun seeing how a local family lives) The room was very sparse with not much character. Almost like a dorm room, but i was OK with that since i only used the place for sleeping. The bed was comfortable & bathroom was fine. There isn't a coffee/tea maker in the room either but they have a nice lounge area in the reception area where you can help yourself to tea or coffee. I actually liked the lounge area a lot. They had some sofas, chairs & a dining area by a mini kitchen area with a TV & books. I believe we paid about $135 USA dollar for our room which wasn't cheap but not outrageous. It's also nice that it close to all the tourist spots without being right in the middle of the hustle & bustle. I would definitely recommend for a short stay. On another note i have to say the person who checked us in was really nice & helpful, i can't remember his name. Where as some of the other front desk people were not has warm or friendly.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank deborah g
sebastien d, Gérant at Couvent des Franciscains, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2017

Hello,

We thank you for visiting our hotel and posting a few notice. We are happy you enjoyed your stay in our hotel. Best regards