“A break away for some head space!”
Review of Hotel Maitagaria

Hotel Maitagaria
Ranked #42 of 64 Hotels in Biarritz
Reviewed 5 September 2016 via mobile

Arrived from Biarritz airport on the #14 bus. If you're travelling to Biarritz from the Biarritz airport head out the front door and turn left. Walk along the footpath till you come to a bus stop....keep walking past it and on the ground you will see footprints painted on the ground. Follow the footprints and cross the road and the #14 bus stop heading towards Biarritz will be on your left. It costs €1 to travel into Biarritz and if you are staying in Hotel Maitagaria get off at Jardin Public.
Hotel Maitagaria is at the corner of Jardin Public on Avenue Carnot.
I booked a single room quite late and still got a good rate on the room. The room wasn't huge but had a double bed as well as flat screen TV, ample wardrobe space and a pleasant view over a calming courtyard which had a pond with Koi/Fish in it.
I found the room perfect and the accompanying en-suite bathroom perfect for a solo traveller.
I had breakfast on my first morning on the terrace in the aforementioned courtyard which consisted of Croissant, baguette, OJ and fresh coffee. I was offered meats, cheese and egg but declined as I was looking for something simple that morning.
I found the owner and his mother very attentive and warm over the 2 days I spent in Hotel Maitagaria.
The hotel itself is right in the middle of everything with the 2 main beaches, Les Halles market and the vast array of restaurants/bars available within an enjoyable 5-10min walk.
It would be very hard to find fault with Hotel Maitagaria and I would be happy to both recommend it and return there in the future.
I booked through booking.com but I now know you can book directly with the hotel via their website.
Very positive experience in a very clean and hospitable hotel in the middle of Biarritz that I feel was good value for money compared to the more expensive offerings in Biarritz!

Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Derek C

Reviewed 27 August 2016

What a lovely little boutique hotel located in the very heart of this beautiful seaside town. The location is perfect as you can walk to all the tourist and town centre destinations with ease. It is a small family run hotel which gives it the friendly atmosphere. The patron speaks very good English and Spanish and whilst his mother only speaks French she speaks through her very helpful and friendly demeanour and can't do enough to help you. The room are clean and tidy and very well proportioned indeed. It's not the Ritz but look at your bill! As and when I return to Biarritz I will be sure to look this up as my optimum place of stay.

Room Tip: Room 10 was perfect for a young family. Large double and a single with plenty of floor space.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 August 2015

I booked a single room which effectively was a small double overlooking a delightful garden: flowers, fountain, terrace for breakfast and afternoon tea ( promptly provided when asked). The room was spotless and lovely: (Guy Delorme linen and towels) with a very luxurious shower room and loo. Not only was breakfast delicious and generous ( including a huge pot of coffee, freshly squeezed orange juice, yoghurt etc) but I was asked the night before if there was anything else I'd particularly like, which would have been sourced freshly in the morning from Les Halles just round the corner. The location is ideal: 30 seconds walk across a pretty park to the bus stop ( direct to the train station), seconds from good cheap restaurants, the Les Halles district, swish shopping in Les Galeries Lafayette and about 10 mins amble to two of the main beaches. The owners were most friendly, charming and helpful. What a find! Ideal! V happy and already planning return!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back overlook the private garden.
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 August 2015

We stayed in Maitagaria for the second time. The first time was somewhere in 2007, so we where happy to finally return to this cosy place. It’s located right in the centre of Biarritz, about 5-10 minutes walking from both beaches. It’s next to a green little park and parking around this area costs only € 12,00 for a week. Not much has changed since our last visit. Unlike many other places, Biarritz has managed to keep its original class and charm. The rooms are decorated in a classical style, which is typical for Biarritz. The cleaning is done outstandingly, the whole room was absolutely spick and spam. We stayed in room 4 located in the back. We had a view on the beautiful garden and absolutely no noise from the street. Maité and Patrick are perfect hosts, they are always happy to help you out with any special request. Breakfast is simple, but if you want they can also provide extras, e.g. boiled eggs. Wifi was working very fast, we where able to watch Netflix the whole time. According to my opinion, it’s definitely one of the best places to stay in Biarritz. They have many types of rooms, so it’s best to inquire for the one best suited for your needs.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side, are more quite.
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2015 via mobile

Family run Boutique hotel beautifully furnished in the Art Deco style. This very comfortable hotel is finished to the highest standards. Close to the town centre and the spectacular beach front . We arrived by rail and it was only a 10 min bus ride (1 euro) to the Jardin Public next to the Hotel. Lovely
sunny terrace where you may breakfast overlooking the small delightful garden. Maite and her son Patrick were most welcoming and hospitable. Our only regret was that we could not stay longer than our 3 nights.

Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 November 2014

My husband and I stayed here in October 2014. It's a small hotel but we loved that it was centric and within walking distance from the main attractions in Biarritz. You can basically get anywhere by foot and we did just that. It's located 20-25 minutes from the Phare du Biarritz and 10-15 minutes from the Sea Museum and Virgin on the Rock.

The hotel itself is quite cozy and noise is not a real problem.The owners were very kind and, although we didn't know French, one of them knew English so communication wasn't a problem. We didn't get breakfast at the hotel because we thought it to be too expensive for what it offered.

We were given a room on the 3rd floor which was basically the attick. It was clean and cozy too, the bathroom bigger than expected, the bed comfortable and pretty good wifi connection. The things we didn't like were cleanliness related to say so. The blanket on the bed was disgusting! It looked clean but it was full of hair...!!! Really gross! They should really throw out those blankets and buy new ones or at least wrap them in sheet covers! Also, don't expect to sleep in because as soon as the sun comes up, the light will make it impossible. The curtains are white with flower patterns, so they don't stop the light from coming in. Almost all the hotels we stayed in had dark curtains specifically to avoid that.

One plus for us was the free public parking near the hotel.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are probably smaller.
  • Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Simona S
Reviewed 2 September 2014

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this charming hotel. The owners (mother and son) are very nice and helpful. The hotel is within very easy walking distance of the center of town. Our room on the back of the house was impeccably clean and comfortable. The breakfast was lovely and delicious. The first morning we enjoyed our breakfast on the back terrace among the flowers and sound of the fountain below. The second morning we were inside the charming dining area because it was raining. Both mornings we enjoyed a real French petit déjeuner>>croissants, baguette, beurre et confiture, delicious coffee with hot milk, yogurt. And it was presented in a refined manner, with lovely heirloom-like tablecloth, etc. We also appreciated the owner's excellent recommendation for dinner at La Goulue. Tout Grand Merci!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the house are perhaps the most quiet but the hotel is situated on what appears...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple