“A new beginning at La Fontaine aux Perles, Rennes”

La Fontaine aux Perles
Reserve with
La Fontaine aux Perles is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 920 Restaurants in Rennes
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed December 31, 2017 via mobile

After 34 years, La Fontaine aux Perles is under new ownership. It’s promise is to maintain the high standards of cuisine set by Mr Rachel, the previous owner/chef. We went for lunch just before New Year. The meal of a leek and potato amuse bouche, foie gras and lobster for me, scallops for Madame were beautifully cooked and our desserts were fun. The wine reasonably priced for this style of restaurant. However, the restaurant, created from a series of small rooms, has yet to find its own style. We think there is a problem that these rooms look out over a large seating area which spoilt the view from our table to the garden beyond. And this area was empty when we were there. The whole thing just lacked atmosphere. The staff are young and enthusiastic so as they become more confident the restaurant should return to haute cuisine harmony. Let us hope so.

Date of visit: December 2017

Reviewed November 30, 2017 via mobile

I have to talk during this lunch that was my main mistake.
The new team in place ( chef and owner) since 1rst November has some pressure because it is a famous place for impressive food not to far by cab from train station.
To go straight to the point I was not disappointed at all . The young chef have definitely a lot of talent and his specialties in patisserie is outstanding ( yes I say so because I have to speak and cannot finish it). The chef have a profil of “ bon vivant” that provide confidence.
Starter was crab salade. Very fresh and subtile.
Then 2 starter with snaked scallops . Top
Then meats with fine purée
And this dessert. a piece of white chocolate with real vanilla underneath
Pure pleasure.

Go for it. Everything is prime and the team have take the challenges to succeed to this well known RENNES institution.

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed September 24, 2017

Nice setting in a private garden. Menu portions are small compare to a la carte. Food lacks flavor. Great service.

Date of visit: September 2017
Reviewed February 24, 2017

Traditional French cuisine. This is an elegant restaurant in the suburbs of Rennes serving traditional, high class French cuisine. The cooking is dependable, sophisticated and satisfying, even if it feels like a bit of a throwback to the last decade.

Date of visit: February 2017
Reviewed December 29, 2016 via mobile

We were there for the Christmas Day lunch and apart of form being asked to half pay in advance, a habit which seems to be on the increase regrettably, we stood waiting at reception for a good while before anyone came to deal with us. Not an auspicious start. Then into a side room where the decor was frankly 'Trumpish'. How two of the party of four managed on the wide buttoned sofa I do not really know. Then a trick which I thought was beneath contempt. The waiter, one of at least five who served us during the meal offered a special coupe of champagne but did it in a way which by not mentioning the price made it difficult for me without embarrassment to the rest of the party either to enquire of the price or to decline. Only at the end I found it was 40 euros a not very generous a glass. No cheerfulness amongst the waiting staff. It certainly did not have the Christmas spirit.

As for the food well it was passably OK considering the price but only the sea bass stood out to me as being anything special. It goes without saying the wine list was expensive and the Chablis we had was nothing to write home about. So compared to our previous excellent evening at L'Essentiel it was a real let down, considering the reviews I had read.

Date of visit: December 2016