All reviews no lift train station car park staff were helpful art deco style room was clean croissants on arrival comfortable hotel would stay here again the ground floor one night stay within walking distance south of france reception shower euros
Reviewed August 7, 2018

The publicity says that the place has recently been refurbished. Unfortunately they have used a lot of plastic laminate flooring. We had our dog with us and the sound of her claws on the floor all night was terrible. The worst thing was that there was no air conditioning. I asked for fan and was told they had all gone - so there was not one for each room and the temperature was in the mid thirties.No apology. they obviously didn't care that for a few euros we could have had a comfortable stay. As it was we were mostly awake all night. There were lots of noises late at night and early in the morning from people dragging paladin containers around. The car park was very scruffy and offered no shade. They obviously decided to save money on a lift and the stairs were very steep which must be difficult for some people. The breakfast was alright but in a very small room which must be tricky if everyone turned up at the same time. We won't be going back.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2018

We booked an apartment owned by the hotel on the other side of Chartres. The keys picked up from the hotel did not fit. It was late at night and the girl on duty offered to put us up at the hotel. Next morning, a different girl at reception argued loudly and long to try to get us to pay extra for staying at the hotel and said they were all too busy to sort out the keys problem to the apartment. Her manager in the next room was also "too busy to talk to us". After a long argument and several trips to see her manager, she agreed not to charge extra for the room. Next morning, another tirade from her when she tried to get us to pay extra for parking in the grotty yard owned by the hotel. We again refused as it was all due to their ineffiency We wrote to the owner twice but he did not bother to reply. The room we had been given was probably the smallest room we had ever slept in and shared its door with a box room. Most of the rooms are on the second and third floors -no lift, and the location of the hotel is dreary and felt dodgy at night. Its right opposite the station. We were unable to get a room at the wonderful Hotellerie Saint Yves, right next to the cathedral with tons of parking, hence this unfortunate booking.

Room Tip: No tips other than avoid
Reviewed July 4, 2018

No elevator / lift. No air conditioning; although temperatures were quite high, our room (shaded side of the hotel) was comfortable at night with the windows open. Street noise (directly opposite the train station) eventually dies down at night, but picks up again early in the morning.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Inter-Hotel
Reviewed July 3, 2018

As anyone who reads my reviews knows, the three main things for me are the bed, the shower and the breakfast. In this case, we decided not to go for the expensive breakfast, and opted for coffee and a croissant in the bar next door, which was very pleasant and much cheaper. The bed was fine, although the pillows were a little skimpy. I daresay we could have asked for extra ones, but it wasn't enough of an issue to bother. The shower was lovely, and the toiletries were too. The first night we only had two very small towels, but the second night they seemed to have got the point and left us two lovely big bath sheets. So all in all, bed and bath were fine.

The staff were very friendly and helpful, and didn't hold it against me when I made a stupid mistake with the room numbers. They all speak English as well as French, so if that's a problem for you, you don't need to worry.

The major downsides were:

- our room was very airless - there is no air conditioning, no fans, nothing to help when the weather is hot. The rooms have been redecorated in a faux Empire, shabby chic style, but they should really have concentrated more on the comfort of the guests. I would not advise booking here in the summer.

- our room looked out over the car park at the back. At all hours, very late and very early, people were discarding and moving rubbish very loudly under the window. This included that dreadful racket made by throwing glass recycling into a bin. Seems they were not aware they were doing this ight under someone's bedroom window. Also loud conversations and cigarette smoking all the time.

As many people have commented, there is no lift. I have a mobility issue and walk with a stick, so when the hotel emailed me ahead of time and asked what I needed, I said I would like a room as close as possible to the lift or the reception, on the ground floor if possible. Their email suggested they would email me with the response to my requests, but that didn't happen, so we arrived to find a really long steep staircase up to the bedrooms. I am sort of okay with stairs if I take it slowly, but it would have been nice to be forewarned.

The hotel is also not as close to the Cathedral as much of the posts suggest. Happily there are several places to stop and rest along the way.

Anyway, all in all, a nice hotel (but not good in summer) but they could do some stuff a lot better.

Room Tip: Possibly avoid the rooms at the back, although the ones at the front overlooking a busy intersection may be just as noisy.
Reviewed June 29, 2018

I selected this hotel based on the availability of the family room, the location (could walk to the cathedral) and the price. We spent 11 nights total in France and this was the best night sleep we got. The whole family was pleased with the accommodation. We had a two room suite - a queen (or double?) in one room, 2 twins in another. We had skylights which we could close, making it incredibly dark. Not sure exactly where the room was in relation to the others, but it was SO quiet. The beds were firm, but still softer than anything else we had the rest of the trip. Very good breakfast. Only thing that others should be aware of is that this room didn't have a traditional shower. It had a huge tube with a hand-held. So as not drench the bathroom, we had to sit in the tub. We parked in a public lot across the street.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family