Auberge du Bon Laboureur
US$132
  • Pool
TripAdvisor
Le Roi Coq(Chenonceaux)
All reviewsloire valleymichelin starchenonceau castleamuse bouchewine listtwo nightsseveral buildingslovely hotelmain buildingbeautiful roomswimming poolfoie grasshort walksmall townlarge bathroomwonderful stayyogurt
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Warning: While I have no doubt that the hotel is a lovely place to stay, be careful should you have an emergency preventing you from staying - you will be charged, via unauthorized credit card charges, FAR more than the deposit!!
Pros: Its close to Chenonceaux
Cons: Hotel policy is that you pay a deposit when you reserve (which is understandable). Their cancellation policy states that, if you cancel 30 days prior to arrival, the deposit is refundable (less 5% cancellation charge), and then goes on to list a progressively larger cancellation charge the closer to the stay you cancel (again, perfectly normal). However, the cancellation policy is written in the context of how much of the deposit is kept - first 5%, then 30% if you cancel 30-16 days prior, then 50% if you cancel 15-10 days prior to arrival, and so forth. Well, if you cancel - WARNING folks - they keep your entire deposit PLUS PLUS charge your card for a percentage of the stay!! So, let's say you have a 6 night stay, and you leave a 145E deposit, and then have to cancel 10 days in advance. They will keep your deposit, AND charge your card (unauthorized) 50% for the ENTIRE stay (charging you on top of your deposit). This is counter to their cancellation policy, and is not the way other ethical hotels in France operate. Ethical hotels keep whatever percentage of your deposit was agreed (which is fine), but these folks keep the deposit and charge you more. Even after trying to find resolve (since we thought they did it in error), they insist that they are eligible for this money. I highly recommend that you not reserve here. You never know, like with us, what unforeseen events may occur, preventing a vacation from occurring. It can get quite pricey when they keep the deposit and then go ahead and also charge you a certain percentage for the WHOLE stay (which is not, again, what their cancellation policy states, wherein the charges are, as it states in its first sentence, relevant to the deposit, not to the whole stay costs). Needless to say, as I am planning this trip again, I will never stay here. If you plan a trip here, it is highly advisable that you get trip insurance or some other means for covering your loss, as you will incur sizeable costs (deposit plus stay costs) should you have to cancel. As for me, I will never stay here - I figure that, if their greed drives them to do this, what else might I suffer? There a lots of other places in the area to stay that are equally nice, if not nicer.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
21  Thank 1WorldTrotter
Reviewed September 26, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed three nights as part of a week in the Loire - we had a suite even though it was just the two of us (I would have booked a standard room but they were booked out - my fault for not being organised earlier) and I think it was pretty expensive for what it was. The furniture was nice and it was all very comfortable but nothing special - although I did have a bath one night which was a bonus. Great location, perfectly fine hotel, but nothing to rave about. The reception staff could also be a bit friendlier, although the waitstaff were very nice.

The restaurant, however, is excellent - well worth the money. Even if you don't stay here, be sure to book in for the restaurant in advance. We ate there twice and were very glad we did - but I suppose that reflects our priorities. We'd much rather stay somewhere ordinary and have a beautiful meal than the other way around!

I think I'd probably rate the hotel higher if I'd only paid for a standard double room, but as it was I didn't think it was great value.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Situated in Chenonceaux,  within walking distance of one of the Loire's most stunning chateaux, this hotel is a gem. The building is quite old and the decor is sympathetic to its age.  We were warmly greeted on our arrival in the car park and taken to our room which was in the annexe across the road, but don't worry, the road was a  quiet side road, not one where you may be run down by  a juggernaut. The room was simple but comfortable, with good storage for a stay of a few days, it smelt fresh and welcoming, unlike some rooms in old buildings which can have a musty flavour. The bath room was situated in the adjoining turret and whilst small was furnished in a more contemporary style, once again very clean, with a good selection of toiletries. The staff were all very helpful, polite, friendly and with excellent English.
There is a garden opposite the hotel with a small swimming pool, which when we were there was a pleasant 26c.
The restaurant holds the coveted Michelin star and served some delightful dishes, do try the riz  et tete de veau, (this dish is probably best not translated into English ) or the rable de lapin (saddle of rabbit) or any of the other dishes, as all those we sampled were excellent. Unfortunately, this quality does't come cheap, so if on a budget, consider the demi-pension option. The cheapest menu was just over 40€ and if going a la carte, starters were around 25€ and main courses around 35€. The wine list held an extensive selection of local wines, priced from 25€ to over 300€,  the latter was for a vintage dating back to 1926!  We had an excellent Saumur-Champigny and a red Chinon, at around 60€ which matched anything Bordeaux or Burgundy can offer at that price, also try the sparkling Vouvray for your aperitif, better value than that other famous fizz. Breakfast was typically French, croissants, coffee, fruit compote, cheese and cold meats, with the addition of a very tasty gateaux.
We enjoyed our stay, even if our waistline suffered and look forward to a return visit.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Richard I
Reviewed September 6, 2012

As we drove in to Chenonceaux, we were delighted when we saw the hotel. It is really charming. Right in the centre of the village.

The staff were very friendly and welcoming.

Our room was charming as was that of our friend in the room next door.

The hotel is right in the centre of the village - and although it is a small village there was the chateax to visit and we also made it to a winery.

There is a hotel pool which is over the road from the hotel, it was a little untidy and full of leaves but that was the only bad point.

We ate in the restaurant on the 1st night of our stay and found the food delightful. We did a set menu which was a reasonable price. The wine was of a great quality.

I would recommend visiting this hotel. it is charming and friendly. One of the best hotels I have stayed in for a while.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank SEAWT
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Great base to explore Loire Valley, especially if you bring bicycles. Beautiful hotel and very close to the cheatoux. Staff nice and helpful! We didn't try the restaurant though as the prices scared us off...

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple