“Great location, warm and friendly staff, and a great cat!”
Review of Hotel Moderne

Hotel Moderne
Ranked #74 of 87 Hotels in Tours
Reviewed 16 March 2012

We chose this hotel based on TripAdvisor ratings.We stayed 5 nights at the Hotel. It is only two blocks from the railroad station which is nice when you are exhausted from a trip to the continent. We were visiting our daughter who was studying in Tours for the semester. The location was perfect. It was easy to get to when you are coming or going to the railroad station (5 minutes) with luggage. We generally went to Rue Colbert for dinner because that was where most of the restaurants were located. It was about a 7-10minute walk to that area. It was about the same distance to Place Plume which is where most of the bars were located. It was nice not to be too close to those areas because they are noisy at night. The owners and managers at Hotel Moderne were GREAT! They are friendly and will give you advice if you want. Breakfast which is included is from 7-11 which is nice if you go to Pace Plume! They will call you if you don't come to breakfast (amazing). The prices are great as well. We paid $112 a night for a triple. They have a cat named Gypsy who won our hearts. We wanted to take her home with us. The sheets are changed every day. There is no elevator, hence the two star status. If you don't need an elevator it is a great place to stay and a great value. We toured several Chateaus while we were there. You can arrange for this at the Tourism office which again is only two blocks from the hotel. I hope you enjoy your stay if you stay here. I felt like I was at a relative's house.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank TravellingDuo53
There are newer reviews for Hotel Moderne

Reviewed 1 December 2011

I've stayed at the Hotel Moderne both times I visited Tours, and I believe that this is the best value for money hotel in the city. This is the type of traditional hotel that you expect when visiting the smaller towns and cities in France! It is nothing flashy - the rooms are all different layouts, slightly dated (not going to find a LCD TV here), and come in a variety of pastels colors, but that is part of the fun! Despite the quirkiness, the rooms are very clean and free from any signs of major wear and tear. On top of this, the hotel is very reasonably priced (I think we paid ~115 per night for a triple) with one of the best locations in the city. It is on a side street off one of the center places in the city. Despite being in the center of town, the side street is very quiet, so you will have no problem keeping the windows open during the summer for a breeze. Finally, the best part of the hotel is the owner. She is an older Asian lady, and she does whatever possible to make sure you have a great stay. For instance, I arrived at the hotel with my friends at 10am, and we were exhausted from an early morning of traveling. Even though it was early, she allowed us to check into our room to take a nap! She will also help guide you away from the tourist areas and find the best restaurants that the locals go to! There is no other place that I would consider staying next time I visit.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the second or third floors. The vaulted ceilings of the top floor making the ro...
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank ASF22
Reviewed 22 August 2011

We stayed for two separate nights a week apart. The staff were friendly and helpful. We were travelling by bike and the bikes were securely stored for us. The hotel is very convenient for the station and easy walking distance from the cathedral and interesting town centre. Breakfast was plentiful and the staff were very attentive.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank frein
Reviewed 7 August 2011

Friendly, welcoming, extremely helpful lady on the front desk, a pleasant room, breakfast far better than usual in France, excellent position for the train station and the cathedral, exactly what I was looking for.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 July 2011

I stayed here for a week in late May. The hotel is very conveniently located, near the Hotel de Ville, and convenient for the station, the main shopping streets and the markets. The staff at reception were friendly and helpful, the room was comfotable and spotlessly clean, and the breakfasts were excellent.

The room was on the top floor - quite a climb since there is no lift - but that helped to work off all the excellent food in Tours! The hotel is quirky and interesting, with a seating area on the mezzanine which is a mini-museum, with exhibits of old curios.

Room Tip: Don't book a room on the top floor unless you are ok about climbing stairs!
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Ballymackeonan
Reviewed 12 June 2011

Situated just off the Rue Nationale, which is the main shopping street in modern Tours and only 5 minutes walk from the bus and railway stations. We were only staying for one night at the end of a week in an apartment in Tours. Proprietors very friendly and helpful and made us feel welcome from the outset.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2010

I stayed at the Hotel Moderne while attending a conference at the university. The hotel was excellent; a pleasant location, friendly service, and super-clean rooms. It was 2 blocks from the train station, and in a good, quiet neighborhood, behind the city hall. There is a high school around the corner, so there was a fair amount of street noise when the students were coming and going. There was also a bit of street noise late on Saturday night. Otherwise the street was very quiet, and while as a solo woman I am nervous about walking down quiet streets late at night, this neighborhood seemed fine even though I came back at 10 or 11 pm each night. The hotel was a block from the main shopping street, and 3 or 4 blocks to the very charming medieval part of town, so it was perfect for walking around the town.

The room was simple but with everything one might need, a sparkling bathroom with new tile and a really good shower, comfortable beds (but note that the pillows are French-style), plenty of lighting and convenient bedside lights. Oh, and free wifi! One thing I would note is that the rooms were not soundproofed that well; or, at least, the person in the room next to mine seemed to need 3 different very loud alarms in order to wake up, and I could hear all of them. I didn't hear anything else, though; the clientele was very quiet otherwise!

The breakfast (not included in the room rate) was plentiful and French-style, bread and croissants and rusks, with coffee/tea/chocolat and juice, and I think also cereal, while eggs were available for an extra fee.

The service was friendly and helpful throughout. I made the reservation online and they were very good about following up with emails. Overall I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Tours.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business