“Had to move rooms twice to get room we had booked, no apologies.”

Best Western Premier Hotel de la Paix
Ranked #4 of 68 Hotels in Reims
GreenLeadersSilver level
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Had to move rooms twice to get room we had booked, no apologies.”
Reviewed 11 April 2012

We stayed here en route to South of France so needed a quiet room and twin beds to get best sleep so specified well in advance courtyard room and twin beds. It didn't start well as entrance to the car park was an anonymous black shutter at the very side of the hotel with no sign hidden by a coach that was unloading in front of it. Car park was OK though, very secure but Ferris Bueller fans please note you have to leave the car keys at reception. The hotel ambience is good, very modern and clean. Unfortunately even though we had clearly specified a courtyard room we we were given one on the busy main street, still at least it was the specified twin bed. So we went down to reception and the a man dealt with our complaint, maybe it was lost in translation but they didn't seem to care that we had specified a courtyard room, there was no apology. We then had to lug our gear across to another room which did have a courtyard view only to find it had a double bed. By this time (please remember we had driven from the Midlands UK) we were too tired to argue and assumed the bed could be made up as a twin when we were out. After an hour we left and told the girl at reception who didn't seem too bothered and said maybe it will be changed, maybe it wont. At ten pm we got back and as we walked passed reception we were called back and told the bed hadn't been changed so we asked for another room. This was 2 floors up so we had to move all our gear again and return the old key. Just as I got to bed I was told I had left my shampoo in the shower and rather than them bring it to me I had to go to reception to get it so that meant either getting out of bed there and then and getting dressed or getting dressed before having a shower in the morning - you can tell from this that the hotel did not give a hoot that they had messed us around by not supplying the room we had specified weeks ahead and had in black and white in an email printed off. As we were checking out an officious looking man looked me up and down and left the desk, I asked the clerk (different one) if this was the manager and it was so I asked her to call him over - he was already aware of what had happened and when I explained the situation he said "what confused us was why you left it so long to complain about the double bed in the 2nd room". After this 'Thierry' muttered in French to the clerk and walked off, the muttering was to waive the 11 EURO parking charge - I told the clerk that I didn't want any money off thanks but an apology would have been nice. I am not a fussy customer I just want what I have booked, OK mistakes happen but somehow the staff thought the mistake was ours. I wouldn't expect this service in any hotel regardless of stars or cost so I can only say avoid like the plague especially if you can't speak fluent French sufficient to get your point across. I am sure many people will have stayed here with no issues hence its high ranking but it's how a business deals with problems that really test its customer service and in my opinion, Hotel de la Paix was well off the mark, something confirmed by most reviewers who have encountered issues.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2012

This was our second visit to this Hotel and we could not fault it.

Our room and bathroom were quite large. Both immaculately clean. The bathroom had a large shower cubicle and also a bath with shower. Safe and minibar. Tea making facilities. Table and chairs.

Our room overlooked the front of the hotel and was excellent.

All staff we came into contact with were extremely friendly and helpful. Reception staff were very welcoming etc. We had an evening meal in the restaurant which was lovely. Very nice food and friendly staff. We did not have breakfast. The bar and outside seating area are lovely.

We usually reserve parking prior to our visit but did not on this occasion. The car park was full, however, the multistorey car park opposite is just as good and perhaps a little cheaper.

The hotel is ideally situated in the centre of Reims.

When we next visit Reims we would definitely stay at Hotel de la Paix again. We would not look elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
AMS
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Stay away from street facing rooms, esp. on Wed-Sat! The hotel is situated on a street about 25mtrs from very noisy student hang-outs, the sound of which clearly passes through the "insulated" windows. When requesting another room because of the noise, the reaction was "but Monsieur you have not requested a quiet room, just one with a double bed"! My retort that in 4* hotel one can assume being able to sleep quietly, the manager's reply was that "the hotel is located in the city center" and there was nothing he could do. Very unprofessional and a timewarp back to the days when the French as a rule treated all customers badly.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Modern and trendy in a great location. Great place to stop and visit Reims if you are just passing through. There is parking at the hotel and a good selection of restaurants in easy walking distance. The bathrooms are excellent and not the usual European variety. Free Wifi is also a plus.

• Stayed April 2012
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Booked a double room online. Arrived at hotel after a long drive and was given a single room.
Complained very politely at reception and after a long wait was given an alternative (but was asked if I really wanted a double!). The guy was not friendly

Parking very hard to locate.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank therealm3kdr
Chicago
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We went to Novatel first, because the price was good. It was new but the room was so bad we forfeited one nite charge to come here. Rooms are very nice. The hotel "smalls"good, which is very important. If you are used to American standards with hotels, just stay here.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank ButchChicago
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2012

I am French but my boyfriend is South African living in the UK for ages, so he is normally more relaxed than me when choosing the hotels... in general non-French visitors choose the Best Western hotels as it is known they all offer an English spoken service and WIFI service. He runs a business so when we go on Holidays we cannot risk it. Well, we had never visited Reims before so I didn't know which one or where to choose the Hotel. He made the choice..women always blame afterwards, I know!! Anyway, it is quite easy to get there as French towns always indicate by panels all the hotels and BB, and even main restaurants, directions. The location is perfect. In a vibrant, typical, refurbished area full of bistros, fountains and shops but very quiet, 2 steps from the cathedral, the main attractions and The Galeries Lafayette and so the High Street for shopping... c'est important! Very very beautiful area, really.But please, trust me the Best Western is just surronded by plenty, plenty of other small sized french boutique hotels (half the prize), so the location is not that unique to the Best Western: fisrt dispointment. Second the prize, even with a fantastinc discount from Booking we payed 160Euros for a room in April, during the week; You should know French Hotels are normally very cheap and great. So I was expecting luxury at this prize (see Logis the France chain for the best value/money and charm). The parking was an extra and expensive. The room was absolutely awful, old styled, 70's decoration very dark and small but overlooking the pedestrian nice street. The bathroom the same, old and ugly, and the worst was the WIFI service, didn't work propely and the stuff couldn't or didn't really want to help! The claim to have a nice SPA area... I wouldn't call it a SPA but a cold freezing nice sized interior pool...impossible to jump in and a ridiculous small jacuzzi taht we avoid, you also can use a couple of fitness equipments. The commun areas are not well decorated and the lounge/bar dark and not fancy...the food/drinks poor and very expensive so we didin't go. Just enjoy the French bistros and cheap set menus like 3 courses meal for 12 euros!!! delicieux!!! I would not recommand at all this Hotel unless you want to make sure someone at reception is gonna try to sepak in English to you... not obvious in France!!! By the way Reims is beautiful, calm, typical, chic and people are lovely..the food and Champagne amazing. Enjoy the champagne and its drinks area!!!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple