“Great Value fo Paris and solid hostel”
Review of Bastille Hostel

Bastille Hostel
Ranked #125 of 190 Speciality Lodging in Paris
Reviewed 23 November 2009

I stayed in this hostel for 4 nights with my friend. we arrived in the evening and checked in right away with the friendly guy at the desk. I also noticed he was very particular about asking people for their receipts at night, which is good for security. Got up to the room and were quite surprised that we had our own toilet. After reading previous reviews I was under the impression the toilet was shared, but maybe we got lucky. The beds were bunk and there was a large dresser with a safe and a table in the corner. Plenty of room to keep our things. My biggest complaint about the room is the size of the bed. I am a tall person (6'3) and struggled to find comfort in the bed frame. Other than that the room and bathroom were clean. Also the lockout policy did not bother us at all, because we were in Paris and why would be stay in our rooms anyways! For the price its a solid deal and the neighborhood is good too for access to the metro.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank rocketsfan007

Reviewed 22 November 2009

Very good hostel if you would like to have a room and bathroom to share it with only one friend. It is clean, quiet and cheap! The only downside is that the bathroom is really inside the room, that is, you won't have much privacy and sometimes the drain clogs, the water overflows and goes into the bedroom...

Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank paulafquirino
Reviewed 1 October 2009

Stayed there for a night between a flight and a TGV ride. Had a private room, very small but hey! I was not in Paris for staying in a room. Cool that I had a private shower too! Too bad that there's was no toilets on the floor, had to go up one floor! As far as spending 35 euros for a night this is the best I had. Great location too not to far from all the cool bistros and bars!

1  Thank kaycey987
Reviewed 26 September 2009

i stayed in a private room of this hostel. it was clean. it was private. i didnt have to share the shower with any pregnant teenagers or bizarre travelers who clean between their toes with the socks they wore that day. i did have to go through a difficult series of luggage storage rooms and lockers before my room was ready but ready, discussing with a strict desk clerk about various rules and regulations ("you MUST be out of the room by eleven. you must NOT come back until four." or else what?) but really, that was all ok. bare bones. easy.

2  Thank magnisiummouth
Reviewed 11 September 2009

they kicked me out after the second night. although i had a online reservation for 5nights.
they packed all my stuff put it in their basement and just said that i do not have a room anymore in this hostel.

you can t enter your room from 11 till 4.not even picking something up. as they didn t tell me that i wanted to get something, which seemed to be a huge problem and they where annoyed by the question.
they have too less stuff for so many rooms. almost everytime i had to wait in line to just ask the staff something.
i was staying in the 4th floor, private room, the only tiny toilet there is, is on the groundfloor, used by the whole building.
the only positive thing was the area arround.

2  Thank _maama_Paris
Reviewed 13 July 2009

The hostel was located pretty decently, with a metro station right in front of it. Line 8 connected well to all other metro lines, so there was no problem in that regard.

I stayed in a single room and for a price of around 45 euros, I was pretty surprised at how nice it was. Sure it was tiny but it had a pretty comfortable bed, a writing desk, a safe, shelves to keep my stuff, a washbasin and a tiny yert very functional shower with both hot and cold water. There was no toilet in the room but it was right down the hall and it was very clean. Also, there was an ac in the room that worked well. So, it was a great experience.

Breakfast wasn't plentiful, just a piece of bread with jam and coffee, but there were boulangeries (bakeries) al around where you can get a tasty breakfast for 2-3 euros.

And yes, there is a lockout from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. And it can get a BIT inconvenient. But I say, what the hell? You're in Paris! You WILL find something fun to do!!!

P.S. For dinner, I reccomend a turkish restaurant - Chez Denis - right down the road with a great Kebab Sandwich, fries and coke or beer for just 6 euros. YUM!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank kirtidanza
Reviewed 14 April 2009

I booked a private room in this hostel for Apr. 2009. On arrival, the staff was helpful and booked me in. On check in, there was some problem with the reservation system. I booked 5 nights on the web, and then it happened they had some problem and I only had a reservation for one night!, they apologized and made some corrections, I WAS LUCKY and got the problem solved, but if they were overbooked, who knows what could have happened. Double check the reservation with them, call them and in any case, have an extra option standing by just in case. Once this was solved, I was not allowed to leave my luggage in the room, since they have a lockout from 11am to 4pm, so I was allowed to leave my luggage in the basement and then I left to explore Paris.

The private room was clean, with its own shower and sink. The toilets were shared, there was one toilet in each floor, they were clean and in good conditions. There was hot water in the private shower, however, the hostel do not provides neither soap nor towels, so dont forget to bring your own. The bedding was ok.

Breakfast was included, but it was some hard bread with some not so good chocolate or coffee from a machine. It was not a problem though, there are lots of good and cheap Patisseries nearby. Wifi is also not provided, but there are some cheap internet cafes nearby too.

The place was very well located in central Paris, near two metro stations, some good restaurants and a big supermarket. As a conclusion, if you just want a place to sleep in Paris, with very basic amenities, this is a good choice, for the 35 euros a night in a private room in central Paris was quite ok. Be careful though, with the reservations and the lockout rules. I was forced to leave at 11am one day I overslept!.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo