“Three Star Hotel Prentending to be a Five Star”

Hyatt Paris Madeleine
Ranked #274 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Let me first start off by saying, given a choice of five-star or even four-star properties in Paris, this hotel shouldn't be one of your considerations. The location of this hotel is "OK", but not ideal or on par with other five star properties in Paris. I've lived in Paris several times, and travel there for business often. Therefore I can honestly say if you are truly seeking a five star property there are many other hotels in better locations, closer to the metro, and offer better amenities, facilities, and service. Even knowing all of this I decided to give this property a go. I'm a Diamond member with Hyatt and never staying here before, thought why not try something new. Sadly that wasn't the best decision. Like many hotels in Paris, this property is fairly small. The size of the property isn't its downfall; it's the management and operations of this property. A smaller hotel means fewer rooms, fewer staff to manage, and fewer guests to look after. Combine all of that with this claiming to be a five star property, and one would expect an exceptionally well-run property with outstanding service. Surprisingly this couldn't be further from the truth. I experienced issues with virtually every customer touch point this property offers. I was assigned an appropriate room; I don't think my reservation had even been looked at until I arrived on-site. I was "kicked" out of their restaurant and exiled to their Champagne bar while entertaining business clients because I wanted to have a coffee. Their cleaning staff wasn’t the most efficient and their breakfast buffet is beyond basic. To all my fellow Diamond members, if you are use to being treated like a valued guest and dealing with staff that have been properly trained on Gold Passport policies, then this most definitely isn't the property for you. I spoke with two managers and both were completely clueless on basic Gold Passport policy and procedures. I eventually had to make a call to Hyatt Corporate who then contacted the property and educated them on very standard Hyatt policies. It’s truly sad when a guest knows your own company’s policies better than your own managers. Not only is that tragic, but it’s unbecoming of a five star property. I stay 300 nights a year in hotels, so I have a good understanding on what makes a five star property. All in all I personally rate this hotel a three star parading around as a five star. I’m sure it could probably skin by as a four star property but a five star it most certainly isn’t. So save yourself some money and hassle and book elsewhere. You’ll be glad you did.

Room Tip: rooms at this property are tiny and the beds aren't comfortable.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank BizTravelFR
Pur P, Directeur général at Hyatt Paris Madeleine, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2012

I was very sorry to learn that we didn't meet your expectations regarding your stay at the Hyatt Regency Paris-Madeleine. I have well noted your disappointment and comments. I assure you that it has been brought up to the designated people to follow-up and should you have any additional comments in this respect which you would like to share, please do not hesitate to contact us. This will definitely assist us in achieving the high standards of service we are aiming.
I sincerely hope that these inconveniences will not affect the trust you have shown toward Hyatt Regencu PAris-Madeleine, and urge you please not to hesitate to contact my office would your travels bring you back to Paris in a not too distant future.
Michel Morauw

There are newer reviews for Hyatt Paris Madeleine

Reviewed 29 January 2012

I have now been twice to this Hyatt. Both of these visits have been point-stays from the Hyatt program. On the second visit I ended up to Paris on my way to Southern France due to missed flight. I did not have any reservations for Paris so when we got off the train in Paris I called the hotel saying that I need a room, do I have points for that and do you have available rooms for one night? They were very professional and after two minutes I had a room booked and ready for us. First class service.

The rooms have been smallish always, but spotless and nice. So in Parisian standards it is very good but with limited space, I must warn you. I have been to many Hyatts and this one lives up to the good standards as well.

I can recommend the hotel for those who know Hyatt standards and expect good night's sleep. Considering the pricing, in Paris it is not cheap, but it's not gambling either. In Paris you might end up surprising places, still paying a lot. It's a safe bet for quality conscious traveler.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MikkoFinland

I am so delighted that you chose to stay at Hyatt Regency PAris-Madeleine and that you thoroughly enjoyed your visit! We cannot wait to welcome you back upon your next visit to Paris!!
Michel Morauw

Reviewed 24 January 2012

This smallish Hyatt in the Madeleine is wonderful. The staff were all extremely helpful and efficient. The hotel is charming - from the glass roof lobby atrium restaurant to the generous and lovely rooms. The location is very good.

I have found that the Hyatt Regency properties are very much hit or miss. This is a hit. I highly recommend this property.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 January 2012

My wife and I stayed at this Hyatt for a week in Oct 2011 and were treated like royalty. Great hotel, I highly recommend it, and lovely staff.

Room Tip: Rooms are typically small, like most European hotels. Try the spa, nice in the evening after a long...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 January 2012

Pros: The location is great, good walking distance to a lot of cafes and shops as well as the Louvre.
- the staff was helpful
- the bathroom was nice, although the toilet didn't flush well at all... there could just be toilet paper in it and it wouldn't go down without flushing 10 times.

Cons:
- the hallway had an odd smell, like smoke and cleaning chemicals combined.

- the heat was so hot, even though we had it turned off, we had to sleep with the windows open in January

- we used points to stay for free and they put us in a tiny back closet of a room. Upon exiting the elevator, at the very end of the hall, there is a door you need a key to open - when you open that door, you are in a very small space with 2 rooms each with their own key - we stayed in one of these rooms. This configuration where basically our entrance was shared with another room was very obnoxious - people were extremely loud coming in and out of the room next to us, which was no doubt amplified by the tiny space. A couple nights the people in the room next to us had children screaming (playing) until past midnight. The fact that this is the type of hotel where kids can scream and run up and down the hallways until past midnight should speak volumes.

- the bed was hard and not very comfortable.

- the breakfast is extremely expensive in the hotel.... and not very good. Do yourself a favor and eat at ANY of the little cafes around here..... much better value. Breakfast buffet was 72 euro for 2 people and was NOT worth that, and a glass of wine at the bar at night was 17 euro. This is a huge rip off.

The best thing was the location. Overall I would say the experience was extremely average and if I were in Paris again, I would not stay here.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank Travelchica23
Reviewed 12 January 2012

We arrived Dec 28 for 6 nights we had connecting rooms for our children.The hotel is lovely but not the typical Hyatt hotel .We did not know it was a boutique hotel so very small.The staff were helpful .The rooms are on the small side but great shower.We had new years eve there for dinner that was also nice .Overall the location service rooms were ok.

Room Tip: Try and get a larger room. The rooms are small.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Michele3062
Reviewed 10 January 2012

Great property, conveniently located in the heart of Paris. Awesome staff.

• Stayed: January 2012