“Insane crowds”

Ranked #13 of 2,145 things to do in Paris
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This Montmartre landmark, a 19th-century basilica built by the French government following the Franco-Prussian War, features a large medieval dome that provides excellent views of the city.
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

Most Americans will not understand that the crowds at these attractions make anything in USA seem empty. Thousands of people, lines and crowds - not my idea of fun!
Have no idea how busy it must get in the summer...

1  Thank Edward d
Write a ReviewReviews (33,537)
All reviews
in 226 reviews
"basilica"
in 3,313 reviews

Reviewed April 4, 2018

Worth the visit and would fully recommend finding time to go up here. There is a venicula that takes you up most of the stairs. On weekends it can be crowded at the top especially lunch time onwards. Inside is very good and outside you get great views over Paris. round the corner is the square where street artists are there to do your portrait, some are really good, others not so much so look first before sitting down. There are plenty of places to eat, but again very busy at lunch time during holidays and weekends.

Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

Lovely church and beautifully quiet. Areas to sit and reflect. Beautifully decorative ceiling and lovely windows. Worth a visit. If you want to keep up your steps then just take the steps otherwise you csn get up using thd powered way.

Reviewed April 4, 2018

Secre-ceru de Montmartre means the “sacred heart of Montmartre”. It is built on the highest point of Paris and has a huge dome which opens to tourists for a big panoramic view of Paris. We just walked around in the church and walked out.
Many people are waiting outside for the Easter Friday service. On the way walking down the steps, we stopped to put the camera into Jereka’s backpack. It took me a few minutes to zip the camera bag and the backpack. Jereka started walking after I signaled her to go. The street seller standing there selling little Eiffel Towers continued mumbling “Don’t stop”, “”Don't stop”. I felt how odd it is for a street seller who does not want people to stop around him. I took a moment to put on my hoodie to protect myself from the cold wind. At that moment, a hand got into my jacket pocket and snapped my iPhone. I screamed “Don’t steal my phone!” And turn around to crap his arm. I got his hand and continued screaming. The young guy, about 15 years old, dropped my phone and walked away. My heart was beat out of my chest, picked up my phone andmuttered “thief, thief”. A young couple walking down the steps and asked “are you okay?” I don’t know what to say but turned to catch up with Jereka. Jereka got hold of me “okay mom, we didn’t lose anything this time.”
Phew! I almost walked into another nightmare. Paris, what a scary city! I may have lost a few years of my life here.