Hotel du Danube Saint Germain
US$1,060
US$1,029
Orbitz.com
  • Pool
All reviewscafe next doorsuperior rooms aregreat locationleft banklarge sinkcourtyard roommusee d'orsaycontinental breakfastmajor museumsfront desk staffcharming hotelour home away from homelovely roomsqueezed orange juicewithin walking distancetea coffee making facilitiesstreet side
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 October 2011

We stayed on the 5th floor at the Hotel Danube, in one of the renovated large rooms facing the street. The hotel is in a very good location, near the Musee d'Orsay. Our room was large and modern, with a very large bathroom. I really liked it, although my wife said she would have preferred one of the smaller rooms with antiques. Breakfast is expensive, and not included. The next time we go to Paris we will stay in the Marais, which is more interesting and less touristy than St. Germain.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 September 2011

Last weekend, I was in Paris for three nights attending a friend's wonderful destination birthday. We are all involved with design as architects, historians, designers or museum curators. The Hotel du Danube was our base and the location was absolutely perfect. By the time I made my reservation, only a standard double for single occupancy was available. I normally upgrade a category or two in Europe but, comforted by the photographs on the hotel website, assumed that even the smallest rooms would be charming. That was my mistake. As I opened the door the room 8, I discovered a room completely unworthy of this hotel - tiny, filthy, dark, and grim. The bedpread was stained, there was a hole in the wall with exposed wiring, the shower stall would not have accommodated Coco Chanel, and a piece of the ceiling cornice was dislodged. Much worse was the obvious filth and dust over the doorways in the room. I had seen the incredibly beautiful room of some colleagues and decided that the obvious discrepancy was noteworthy. After dressing for dinner, I folded a damp paper towel and ran it along the top of the doorway. What was revealed was less a dust bunny than a dust gorilla. I presented this at the front desk and said it was unworthy of the hotel and I wished to be moved to another room. There were of course no other rooms and I had the sinking feeling that room 8 was perhaps brought into commission for a last minute reservation. So, two nights in a standard room reminiscent of a youth hostel and finally, the last night in a re-decorated room that was chic, comfortable, clean and with an enormous marble bathroom and deep tub and shower. The manager did reduce the rate of the last night from 240 Euros to 185 Euros possibly in the hope that I would not write this review which is not in the least mean spirited - simply true to my experience - and with the hope that others beguiled by the website will opt for the better rooms.

The moral of this story is spring for an expensive room at Hotel du Danube and you will be very, very happy and comfortable. If only standard rooms are left, do yourself a favor and move on to another hotel. The charm and chic of the lobby and the newly renovated rooms gives no hint of the the potential horror story to be found in room 8 and I suspect, the other "standard" rooms. In fairness to clients, they should be dubbed "sub-standard."

Room Tip: Go for the best most expensive rooms. In this hotel, a cheap room is a cheap experience.
Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank Attingham
mimi96, Assistant de direction at Hotel du Danube Saint Germain, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2011

Dear guest,

Thank you for the time you have spent expressing your experience in our hotel and we really regret that your room was not the one you expected during the two first nights.

But, as you know, on the second day of your stay despite the fact that we were sold out we did our best and offered you to move to another standard room which is the only renovated one in this category with no any extra charge. You visited that room but you declined our offer and you said that you prefer to stay in your room. As our intention for each and every guest is to be completely satisfied with our services, we offered you one of our deluxe rooms for the third and last night of your stay.

As one can see on the website of the hotel our rooms are different in terms of style, decoration and space. Except the standard category, all of them have been remodeled and fully renovated recently. Our standard rooms are a good value and our policy is to keep them at a very moderate price because they are appreciated by a great number of business and academic travelers who have a limited budget and wish to stay in this location.This is why they are booked most of the time.

We would also like to point out that the hotel has been under renovation which lasted more than six months and the dust in the air continued unfortunately to settle in the rooms for a long time after the end of the renovation. This situation is now stabilized. It's not really a problem of a daily maintenance. However, we do thank you for drawing our attention to these small rooms. We definitely plan to improve the quality of them in the upcoming months.

Finally, we appreciate your fairness and honesty for recognizing that our renovated and redesigned rooms are very beautiful and comfortable, a dream in one word as you say. Despite the inconveniences that you had, we do hope that you enjoyed your stay in Paris and it would be a pleasure for us to welcome you again in the future in one of our newly renovated rooms.

Yours sincerely,
Michel SARIO – Executive Manager

Reviewed 21 September 2011

My husband and I stayed here for three nights in August. It had been recommended by a friend and although it was not cheap it was a delight. The room was tasteful, somewhat spacious,
well located to restaurants, Musee d'Orsay, and good shopping in the 7th arrondissement.
The service was good and breakfast included in the price.

Room Tip: We did look at three rooms which varied somewhat in terms of outlook, spaciousness etc. but this choice was subjective as my husband is tall!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2011

Colleagues picked this hotel out for a business visit and I'm very glad they did - most of all because we were there during a summer heatwave and I've rarely been more grateful for a hotel being fully air conditioned! The management have clearly put a lot of thought into their hotel, the outside looks lovely and the rooms have been carefully furnished too (as far as I can tell each one has been decorated separately - the bright orange and pink wallpaper in my room made me feel like I was in a Victorian novel but some of the other rooms are apparently more subdued.....) Unfortunately we didn't have time to have more than a quick breakfast in the morning but it is served in a charming interior courtyard. There are several cafes and bistros along rue Jacob for meals and evening drinks.

Normally this hotel would be well out of my price range so I don't know whether I'd have the chance to stay here again, although were money no object I would definitely be considering it....

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank twick012
Reviewed 9 July 2011

I have been a client of the Hotel du Danube for more than 40 years and I still love it; however a few minor and needless slips ups in service became annoying. The rooms to the doors are "spring loaded" so when guests leave their rooms the doors often slam. When that happens early in the morning.... hmmm.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple