“Charming hotel in a brilliant location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel du Danube St. Germain

Hotel du Danube St. Germain
Ranked #696 of 1,795 Hotels in Paris
Paris, France
“Charming hotel in a brilliant location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2011

My daughter and I stayed at the Hotel Danube in a superior room for 3 nights last week and had a wonderful few day in Paris. A company called Concierge de Mode recommended the hotel and we were absolutely delighted. Our room was large by Parisian standards with very good bathroom. The location is amazing and in the years I have been staying in this wonderful city, and staying in all sorts of different hotels and locations, the Danube certainly delivered all that we required. The front desk were so friendly and happy to answer any questions. The slightly elderly (!) gentleman who was behind the desk at night was an especially jolly chap! The only slight criticisim was the coffee and tea at breakfast which could have been better. All in all, a lovely base for your trip to Paris, and a hotel that I would highly recommend. By the way Concierge de Mode is a brilliant little company who will book restaurants, shows, shopping and advise on different things to do in Paris which the average tourist would not know about.

Room Tip: We chose a courtyard facing room and slept soundly
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank SUSAN G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
North Vancouver, BC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2011

We stayed on the 5th floor at the Hotel Danube, in one of the renovated large rooms facing the street. The hotel is in a very good location, near the Musee d'Orsay. Our room was large and modern, with a very large bathroom. I really liked it, although my wife said she would have preferred one of the smaller rooms with antiques. Breakfast is expensive, and not included. The next time we go to Paris we will stay in the Marais, which is more interesting and less touristy than St. Germain.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Wilmington, Delaware
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2011

Last weekend, I was in Paris for three nights attending a friend's wonderful destination birthday. We are all involved with design as architects, historians, designers or museum curators. The Hotel du Danube was our base and the location was absolutely perfect. By the time I made my reservation, only a standard double for single occupancy was available. I normally upgrade a category or two in Europe but, comforted by the photographs on the hotel website, assumed that even the smallest rooms would be charming. That was my mistake. As I opened the door the room 8, I discovered a room completely unworthy of this hotel - tiny, filthy, dark, and grim. The bedpread was stained, there was a hole in the wall with exposed wiring, the shower stall would not have accommodated Coco Chanel, and a piece of the ceiling cornice was dislodged. Much worse was the obvious filth and dust over the doorways in the room. I had seen the incredibly beautiful room of some colleagues and decided that the obvious discrepancy was noteworthy. After dressing for dinner, I folded a damp paper towel and ran it along the top of the doorway. What was revealed was less a dust bunny than a dust gorilla. I presented this at the front desk and said it was unworthy of the hotel and I wished to be moved to another room. There were of course no other rooms and I had the sinking feeling that room 8 was perhaps brought into commission for a last minute reservation. So, two nights in a standard room reminiscent of a youth hostel and finally, the last night in a re-decorated room that was chic, comfortable, clean and with an enormous marble bathroom and deep tub and shower. The manager did reduce the rate of the last night from 240 Euros to 185 Euros possibly in the hope that I would not write this review which is not in the least mean spirited - simply true to my experience - and with the hope that others beguiled by the website will opt for the better rooms.

The moral of this story is spring for an expensive room at Hotel du Danube and you will be very, very happy and comfortable. If only standard rooms are left, do yourself a favor and move on to another hotel. The charm and chic of the lobby and the newly renovated rooms gives no hint of the the potential horror story to be found in room 8 and I suspect, the other "standard" rooms. In fairness to clients, they should be dubbed "sub-standard."

Room Tip: Go for the best most expensive rooms. In this hotel, a cheap room is a cheap experience.
Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Attingham
mimi96, Assistant de direction at Hotel du Danube St. Germain, responded to this review, 20 October 2011
Dear guest,

Thank you for the time you have spent expressing your experience in our hotel and we really regret that your room was not the one you expected during the two first nights.

But, as you know, on the second day of your stay despite the fact that we were sold out we did our best and offered you to move to another standard room which is the only renovated one in this category with no any extra charge. You visited that room but you declined our offer and you said that you prefer to stay in your room. As our intention for each and every guest is to be completely satisfied with our services, we offered you one of our deluxe rooms for the third and last night of your stay.

As one can see on the website of the hotel our rooms are different in terms of style, decoration and space. Except the standard category, all of them have been remodeled and fully renovated recently. Our standard rooms are a good value and our policy is to keep them at a very moderate price because they are appreciated by a great number of business and academic travelers who have a limited budget and wish to stay in this location.This is why they are booked most of the time.

We would also like to point out that the hotel has been under renovation which lasted more than six months and the dust in the air continued unfortunately to settle in the rooms for a long time after the end of the renovation. This situation is now stabilized. It's not really a problem of a daily maintenance. However, we do thank you for drawing our attention to these small rooms. We definitely plan to improve the quality of them in the upcoming months.

Finally, we appreciate your fairness and honesty for recognizing that our renovated and redesigned rooms are very beautiful and comfortable, a dream in one word as you say. Despite the inconveniences that you had, we do hope that you enjoyed your stay in Paris and it would be a pleasure for us to welcome you again in the future in one of our newly renovated rooms.

Yours sincerely,
Michel SARIO – Executive Manager
Buderim
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2011

My husband and I stayed here for three nights in August. It had been recommended by a friend and although it was not cheap it was a delight. The room was tasteful, somewhat spacious,
well located to restaurants, Musee d'Orsay, and good shopping in the 7th arrondissement.
The service was good and breakfast included in the price.

Room Tip: We did look at three rooms which varied somewhat in terms of outlook, spaciousness etc. but this cho...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
London, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2011

Colleagues picked this hotel out for a business visit and I'm very glad they did - most of all because we were there during a summer heatwave and I've rarely been more grateful for a hotel being fully air conditioned! The management have clearly put a lot of thought into their hotel, the outside looks lovely and the rooms have been carefully furnished too (as far as I can tell each one has been decorated separately - the bright orange and pink wallpaper in my room made me feel like I was in a Victorian novel but some of the other rooms are apparently more subdued.....) Unfortunately we didn't have time to have more than a quick breakfast in the morning but it is served in a charming interior courtyard. There are several cafes and bistros along rue Jacob for meals and evening drinks.

Normally this hotel would be well out of my price range so I don't know whether I'd have the chance to stay here again, although were money no object I would definitely be considering it....

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank twick012
France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2011

I have been a client of the Hotel du Danube for more than 40 years and I still love it; however a few minor and needless slips ups in service became annoying. The rooms to the doors are "spring loaded" so when guests leave their rooms the doors often slam. When that happens early in the morning.... hmmm.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Cynthia G
Paia, Hawaii
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2011

I have been coming to Paris annually for the past 20 years and this year, based on the reviews on Tripadvisor I decided to stay at the Danube. Iam fussy about hotels being quiet and I know it Paris it can be a challenge.

We booked a contemporary room, which was facing the second interior courtyard (there are two) as my husband prefersa shower and I like a quiet room.vIt was quiet, but much smaller than I had anticipated and the furnishings were sraight out of Ikea. Bathroom was oversized and luxurious, but we would have preferred a cozier room instead of the very stark and dreary room that greeted us. No extra tolet paper and we ran out, and also had to nearly beg for some extra pillows, which were not forthcoming until one of the maid staff interceeded.

If you are a light sleeper, and your room is on the street, you will find the traffic front Rue Saint Peres deafening.

Front desk staff was cold and very unhelpful when it came to assisitng with finding our the hours of a museum we wanted to visit which was off putting.Reception area cold and lacking a well-coming feel. Only one newspaper for the whole hotel in the morning.

Breakfast was fine, and the staff at breakfast was the friendlinest in the hotel.
I would not stay here again. When spending 240 Euros a night for a deluxe room, one at least expects a warmer reception than the one we had.

Room Tip: If you prefer quiet get a room on the courtyard
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank chiot
mimi96, Assistant de direction at Hotel du Danube St. Germain, responded to this review, 14 October 2011
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience and expressing your opinion about our hotel. We also thank you for choosing Hotel du Danube for your stay in Paris.

We are glad that you enjoyed a quiet room facing the inner courtyard and appreciated the breakfast service and its staff.

As far as the room style is concerned you had a contemporary room which has a modern design. The furnishings are not provided by IKEA but by JUILE PRISCA, a great designer in Paris. You may visit their website www. julieprisca.com

We regret that your room was smaller than you had anticipated, however, its size is more or less 25 square meters including the bathroom which is oversized for a hotel of our category.
We also regret that you did not talk to the front desk, we would have offered to you another room as our rooms are decorated with different styles.

All our rooms facing the street (rue Jacob) have double windows and double glazing. Therefore, they are as quiet as the rooms on the courtyard. So we like to invite you to choose one of them for your next stay in Paris.

Despite the inconveniences that you had we do hope that you enjoyed your stay in Paris. Please feel free to contact me whenever you plan to come back here. It would be a pleasure for me to help you to take one of our cosiest rooms.

Yours sincerely,