“Design vs Function”

Holiday Inn Paris-St. Germain Des Pres
Ranked #548 of 1,805 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Designers of hotel rooms should be required to stay in them for a few days to see the results of their decisions. While reasonably sized (at least for Paris)the room felt small due to the lack of overall lighting, compounded by the unfortunate decision to have one wall of dark brown wood, the others painted brown. While there was plenty of task lighting by the bed, desk, etc even a single ceiling light would have been appreciated.
The window shade and curtain did little to keep out the sun in the morning--light sleepers beware. The bed itself was very comfortable, kudos for that.
The bath was beautiful and modern. Unfortunately you could not really use it to advantage. The combination of a shallow bowl and high faucet gauranteed that you would be splashed when you turn on the tap. The shower was a marvel--huge shower head and wonder of wonders additional water coming from the side with great water pressure. Sadly using these filled the entire batroom floor with about a 1/2 inch of water. I pity the housekeeping staff who must spend hours mopping up after guests. My subsequent showers were meager to avoid filling the place with water.
That said, the location is good, staff were pleasant, breakfast buffet plentiful and of good quality.
I have stayed in this hotel before and I liked it better before the modernization.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard were very quiet
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank businesstraveler93
joel, General Manager at Holiday Inn Paris-St. Germain Des Pres, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2012

Thank you for your comments regarding your experience during your recent stay. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to my attention and apologise for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to size and renovation of the room.

It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope you will continue to choose Holiday Inn for your future travel needs.

Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,113)

Reviewed 11 April 2012

Great service, very friendly and helpful stuff. The room was large and comfortable. The room temperature was quite high during the night so we had to open the window.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RonenST
joel, General Manager at Holiday Inn Paris-St. Germain Des Pres, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2013

We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us.
It is very important to have your feedback on your stay in our property.

Your comments well be forwared to all the staff.

We hope you will continue to choose Holiday Inn Brand for your future travel needs.

Reviewed 27 March 2012

My family and I stayed in the last weekend of March, a weekend which was terribly unusual as it was 23/24 degrees centigrade. This was a problem for the hotel as the heating had not yet been turned off.
When I complained on the first night I was rudely told to hold on the phone, then to find out the woman put the phone down on me. I went down to the desk to complain where again rudely spoken to, and told all i could do was to open the window, which was inplausable due to it being saturday night.
I found out from another guest that it wasnt just the heating in my room that had broken, but that the air conditioning is not turned on until may. This ruined my stay due to me not sleeping the duration of the trip.
Also, on our second night our keys would not work and the staff were unhelpful, making us go up and down the stairs some 5/6 times.

Very unhelpful staff that told us to 'complain in the morning'
Finally, returning home from my stay I have discovered that the payment for the stay has been taken out of my account twice, something which they are now denying.

Decor is tacky, felt like i was in benidorm not paris.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank lauramacgregs
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Paris-St. Germain Des Pres, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2012

Dear lauramacgregs,

I would like to thank you for your review and apologize that your experience with our hotel did not meet your expectations. I would greatly appreciate further information regarding your stay in order that I can investigate further.

I have sent you a private message to obtain additional details about your experience.

Thanks,
Brenda J.
IHGCare

Reviewed 27 March 2012

I was quite disappointed with the quality of this Holiday Inn as compared to others.  My biggest issue was the AC did not work for a full week.  Despite the outside temperature of 46F/8C at night, the room would be 80F/27C. The front desk suggested we just open the window.  While that was fine during the day, the noise from the street prevented any sleep.  The front desk was generally rude on other subjects as well.  When asked for dining recommendations, they just shrugged and said "walk around until you find something".  "No, extra room charges such as breakfast and mini-bar can't be added to the bill, and need to be paid in cash".  What?  I was disappointed at the lack of WiFi despite advertisement that they offered it, and the "broadband" topped out around 30kbps.  I had a great time in Paris otherwise, but won't make the mistake of ever staying in a Holiday Inn again.

Stayed: March 2012
3  Thank Nick D

Nick D,

Thank you for your stay, and taking time to provide feedback. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. We’re sorry you received service which was unacceptable. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Ben J
IHG Care

Reviewed 24 March 2012

Great location with a metro across the street and plenty of bistros and shops nearby. The room was clean and comfortable and although small, bigger than many NYC hotels rooms I've stayed in. Staff was very helpful with directions and suggestions for restaurants and bars.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Canyonlover

We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us.
It is very important to have your feedback on your stay in our property.

Your comments well be forwared to all the staff.

Reviewed 21 March 2012

We stayed here for a weekend in February. We were very impressed with the hotel. The location is very central and the decor is modern, clean and bright. Although our room wasn't huge, it was a good size for Paris and very comfortable. This hotel was good value and we would stay here again next time we visit Paris.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GraceMay1
Reviewed 12 March 2012

The hotel is good, rooms are clean, nice location and you don't pay much. For me it was a very good choice for the amount I paid. Staff are doing their best to make you happy!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business