“Genuine French cooking at a very reasonable price”
Review of L'Assignat

L'Assignat
Ranked #9,410 of 18,020 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Bar Scene
Neighbourhood: Saint-Germain-des-Pres
Reviewed 24 September 2015 via mobile

A small crowded restaurant that appears to cater mainly to locals, partly I think because they do not speak much English. But when we tried out the little French that we knew, they tried their best in English, and we ended up with a very good lunch.

For a very reasonable fixed price, you get an entree and main, or a main and dessert. The servings were very generous, and the food was good.

If you're after simple and genuine French fare at a reasonable price, this is the place for you.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

After a busy morning behaving like normal tourists, took a dive down a side street and found this gem. As an American and British couple, judging by other reviews, we were in for a rough ride. Were welcomed and refreshed with genuine hospitality, the bar was busy with local characters who soon accepted us in to the show. The waitress spent time with us and offered us homemade calvados from Normandy, a nice authentic touch. This was then repeated several times and we In turn reciprocated. For my first trip to Paris, I feel I learned more about France here, than shoulder to shoulder at tourist hotspots with other foreigners. Will definitely seek it out again. Merci, et bonne chance!

Reviewed 21 September 2013

We waited for about 15 min at our table. They would not wait on us even though we were nearly the only customers there. Spend your American money elsewhere. They do not appear to want it.

Reviewed 21 September 2013 via mobile

A friend and I stopped in and they would not serve us. Americans are not welcome here. No one would acknowledge us or attend to us. The puppy was very friendly though.

Reviewed 26 June 2012

This small cafe run by the owner and his daughter is always on my list of places to go in Paris.
Most of the customers are regular locals. The fresh and traditional French food is excellent, the cafe au lait, I think the best in Paris. On our last visit we ate their twice. My duck was amazing, so juicy and tender with grated carrots and vinegrette. The tarte tatin fabulous. All of the cafe au laits perfect.