“Nice little hotel for weekend break”

Hotel des 3 Poussins
Ranked #285 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 1 April 2012

This is a small boutique style hotel, very well located. Not far from Gare du Nord (€8 by taxi), a nearby Metro station and within walking distance of all major attractions. In fact we chose this hotel for its central location.
I stayed here with my husband and (sprightly) 90 year old Mother-in-Law. As we needed a wheelchair the lift came in handy.
The rooms are very basic, but the bedding was fresh and bathroom clean (could do with being updated). My Mother-in-Laws room smelled a bit of stale cigarette smoke, but after opening the window for a while it soon dissipated. I'm sure if we complained they would have sorted it.
We all slept well, the bed was nice and firm and the pillows plump.
The staff are very friendly and front desk staff were polite and helpful.
Breakfast is served in the cellar (not as bad as it sounds!) which has been painted and furnished with nice tables and chairs. Buffet style breakfast (as you would expect) that is completely self service (i.e. no tea or coffee brought to the table). Lovely fresh french bread, pain au chocolat and croissants, cereal, toast etc. Tropicana orange juice and a good selection of teas. Hot crepes and scrambled egg was also served.
Nearby is a little square with a few bars and restaurants, perfect after a day's sightseeing.
If you planning a short trip to Paris and want to stay in a typical Parisian hotel (the staircase is very quaint) then I would recommend this hotel. It's not luxury, it is basic but wins on location.

Room Tip: Our room/bathroom was quite spacious, so ask for a bigger room if your room is on the small side (we...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 28 March 2012

I have paid over £250/= for 2 night. I stayed with my wife over there. Room was quite small and bathroom was not clean either. This is the worst hotel I said for last five year. I do fly frequently as well.

I have accidentally left my belonging in the room when I checked out. But When I spoke to reception they were not helpful. Specially a guy call " Patrick" was not a nice person at all and he was not helpful at all. He didn't bother to listen to me what I have left in the room and he said nothing found.

I think when we spend more than £100/ per night would expect better service. Further I have spent time in Paris before but most hotels were good.

Room Tip: compare as much as possible. I think people who write should have some responsibility
1  Thank sripali
Reviewed 24 March 2012

If you need a single room and you are flexible and supple as a result of your Pilates or Yoga classes, then this is the hotel for you! You will enjoy the challenge of showering without bumping your knees or elbows and slithering past the toilet to towel yourself dry in front of the sink, avoiding hitting your head on the hairdryer. If you are very tall, your knees might even touch the wall when you are on the loo!!! I couldn't open both doors of the wardrobe without moving the bed, and I thought there was hanging space only. After the room had been cleaned, my own hairdryer wasn't on the bed where I had left it and I was convinced it had been stolen!!! Fortunately, I discovered that on the left hand side of the wardrobe there were, in fact, some shelves and that it had been tidied it away!

These challenges apart, I would unreservedly recommend this hotel. It is in an excellent position, within walking distance of the Gard du Nord - (uphill on the way back as you drag your suitcase) - and perfect for walking to the Opera area and beyond. The street is quiet so you shouldn't be disturbed at night.

The decor is quiet and tasteful, and the bed linen soft. The standard of cleanliness is excellent.

The breakfast was perfect - delicious coffee, fruit juice with "bits" (not that horrible diluted squash-like drink served in some hotels), fruit salad, yoghurts, cereal, a range of pastries and bread, good quality jams and honey, as well as cheese and ham. The scrambled eggs were some of the best I have ever tasted, and there were crepes, too.

The dining room is in the basement (perhaps a converted wine cellar?) It is small and you might have to make friends with the people on the table next to you in high season, but I went in March and the guests were mostly business people who didn't spend long eating.

There is even a small garden.

I would stay there again (and take some plasters in case I grazed myself in the bathroom!)

Room Tip: Ask for a larger room.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank LindaMurcia
Reviewed 23 March 2012

My wife and here stayed here for 2 nights, and for our needs it was ideal.

- LOCATION: It is roughly equidistant between Notre Dame and the Eiffel Tower (around 2 miles to each), so perfectly walkable if you have a decent pair of shoes. However, there is a Metro stop a 2 minute walk away, which takes you to Concorde if you prefer. The local area also seems to be more typically Parisian - i.e. small, independent shops rather than chains.

- HOTEL: the exterior and reception are beautiful, and seem much better than you have any right to expect from a 3* hotel.

- STAFF: this won't matter to everyone, but our French isn't great so to have a staff that speak great English is a great help. For example, I wanted some moules et frites while I was there, and I was directed to somewhere that was great. They also offered a shuttle service to the airport upon check-in, which when you're on limited time is a great help.

- ROOMS: the rooms aren't cavernous, but should suit your needs perfectly. Very well kept too.

All in all, considering how expensive Paris can be, this hotel offers good value in a great location.

Room Tip: Email ahead and ask for a larger room
1  Thank Nojhaslam
Reviewed 13 March 2012

Ideal location for walking Paris streets and sights. Quiet location and convenient for Metro. Great and helpful staff, all very clean - worth visiting....

Reviewed 11 March 2012

My college age daughter joined us for a few days in Paris and I wanted her to get a good impression of the city without staying at an American hotel chain, so chose Les Trois Poussins. The reception staff are bilingual and charming (which is not always the case in Parisian hotels) but best of all they have a hotel cat which sleeps on the sofa in reception. This may be bad news for visitors with cat allergies but it was great news for my cat-crazy daughter. Breakfast is downstairs in a bricked cavern, full of atmosphere and fine food, the bedrooms are clean with more space than anything you'll find in London, the price is reasonable and the location is great. Rue Clauzel is a short street that runs between Rue Henry Monnier and Rue des Martyrs. If you go out of the hotel and turn right, in 70 meters you'll reach Rue des Martyrs: turn right if you want cheese, wine, restaurants and you'll end up at the Saint Georges Metro station; if you turn left up Rue des Martyrs, you'll find a range of restaurants, cafés and a fabulous boulangerie, keep going up the hill and you'll reach a little circle where you can catch a Disneylandish tram/train up to Sacré Coeur on Montmartre. If you turn left out of the hotel and walk 50 meters to Monnier, you'll pass a couple of good restaurants and there are more on the corner. Turn left at Monnier and you'll find coffee, a pharmacy and then left again and there's the Metro again. Place Pigalle is 5 minutes away and it's a fascinating area to walk around but also easy to get to any other part of Paris on the Métro. It was recommended by friends and I agree with them - a perfect place to stay if you want to experience Paris more like a local than a tourist.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Boutique style hotel in a nice area of Paris. The rooms were a nice size and service was excellent. Clean and good value, although not luxurious by any standards, it was in a great neighbourhood with lots going on, and the "NoStress" cafe within stone's throw. Excellent place to stay if you don't want to pay through the nose.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple