“Great location, clean and comfortable room”

Hotel de la Bretonnerie
Ranked #322 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 27 February 2012

I agree with other reviewers - the location can't be beat, and while the hotel is not super modern, they had everything we needed. The bed was comfortable, and the wifi worked very well. We had a "charming" room which was, in fact, charming, with little dormer windows in the room and in the bathroom, looking out over the street. Front desk staff were helpful, and check in/check out were a breeze. Continental breakfast was in a charming dining room downstairs, and was a great way to start the day. Because of Paris traffic, getting to the hotel in a taxi from Gare du Nord was a nightmare; on our way back we just took the Metro and it was really easy and quick.

Two things we didn't like: Our room was apparently a converted attic, so the ceiling was really low, so we had to hunch over to avoid hitting our heads. In the bathroom, it would have been nice if there were a shower door or curtain (shower was a handheld one) so that water didn't get all over the bathroom.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Raj R

Reviewed 14 February 2012

This is a lovely three star hotel. The room we stayed in (room 29) was relatively small with a lovely four poster bed! It was classicaly decorated and very clean. And the most important thing: the bed was excellent.
Bathroom had everything you needed, again, it was not very big! The receptionist were very friendly and helpfull. And the location is ideal: just a short walk to the Notre-Dame de Paris, de Centre George Pompidou and soo many eateries around that you could stay for a year and never eat in the same restaurant twice! We didn't have breakfast in the hotel (was not included in the price anyway), but went around the corner to a place called "Pan", which was ideal! Oh, and the metro stop is a hop and a skip away! Will we go back? Yes!!! Will I recomend this place? Yes!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MaximBezembinder
Reviewed 1 January 2012

My family and I stayed at this hotel during our Christmas holiday in Paris. I highly recommend it in several areas. First, from the beginning, the staff at this hotel were very polite and helpful. The members of my group were arriving at different times on different days, and this was not a problem. One of the receptionists even emailed me to let me know that my brother had arrived safely. Next, the hotel is not "sparkling new" in its decor, but more importantly it is very clean and comfortable. My family and I occupied a junior suite for the duration of our stay, and we found it to be plenty big enough to accommodate us well. It was also very quiet. Last, it would be difficult to find a hotel better located in relation to the Metro, the Marais, and the heart of Paris. It's maybe a 5 minute walk to Notre Dame, less to Hotel de Ville and the Metro, there are plenty of bakeries, markets, and restaurants nearby, and shopping on Rue de Rivoli is just steps away. I would definitely return to Hotel de la Bretonnerie. It would be difficult to find a hotel with better value for the money, location, and welcoming staff than this traditional French hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank FromMurphyTo
Reviewed 13 December 2011

My wife & I spent 4 nights at Hotel de la Bretonnerie in early Oct11. I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to any of my fellow travellers. Excellent location with Hotel de Ville metro barely 5mins away. The hotel is surrounded by heaps of bars, restaurants, coffee shops, boulangeries etc...We even walked to Musee de Orsay & back. Notre Dame is 15mins away. Great breakfasts at Le Pain Quotidien. It also has a supermarket 2mins away. We stocked up on water, wine, cheese & fruit. The room I stayed in was a Classic Room and was wonderful. On the top floor with a large bed and a mini refrigerator. The bathroom was recently renovated and large enough. No problems with hot water etc...We were there in Autumn so it was quite cool. The rooms do not have air conditioning, however they do have fans. So in summer this needs to be considered. The staff were most obliging and nothing was a problem. As the hotel is located in a real party area the street below did get a bit noisy. For 159Euros per night, I could not recommend this highly enough.

Room Tip: Ask for Room 39 on the highest floor with a lovely window opening on to the street below
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank gerardlee
Reviewed 25 November 2011

We were on a family vacation with four grown adults. Because we all like each other so much, we searched for QUADS/FAMILY ROOMS. Bretonnerie had a family room . On the website, however, it wouldn't allow us to click the four-person room. After searching other locations (and coming up empty), we came back to Bretonnerie because they had another room that also accommodated four people (it was a 3 person room + rollaway). We booked it. It was the top floor room and it perfectly would have suited three grown adults. With four people, we certainly made it work. The rollaway fit in fine - but please note - if you're tall people (like we are), you may want to hold out for the four-person room - as this room had SLANTED ceilings and LOW BEAMS. The room was beautiful, many windows, etc.... The bathroom was HUGE, totally acceptable for four tall Americans :). It had two sinks, and a tub... NO SHOWER HEAD (but a detached hand-held sprayer like shower head....)

The front desk staff spoke primarily French. They were friendly and helpful - but also very French - so don't be alarmed when they're not impressed that you don't speak their language...

The area was lovely, many wonderful French cafes (and a Starbucks - where they DO speak English :)). There was a laundromat across the street - which was SUPER nice as we were at the tail-end of our trip (and clean clothes)... We walked everywhere along the river. Great location.

Would I / we stay there again... yes!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank leary81
Reviewed 23 November 2011

My husband and I travelled to Paris in Sept 2011. Rick Steves recommended Le Marais as THE AREA to stay in Paris, and he was right. Very trendy and local. Excellent vibe, cool shops and restaurants and not many tourists (opposite of the Left Bank which is bursting with tourists). The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. I would give them an A+. Don't waste your money on the breakfast at this hotel. It is terrible and expensive. Plus, you want to do what the French do and hit up a local neighbourhood cafe and order une tartine and un cafe au lait and people watch for a good 45 min. The rooms were tired and old. They were clean and quite spacious for Europe standards so that was good, but, the bathroom was mouldy and we had NO HOT WATER for 2 full days! The staff were doing all they could to fix it, but we were only moderly compromised for this massive inconvenience. While I loved the convenient location, the staff and the price (cheap for a Paris 3 star), I will not likely stay here again.

Room Tip: I think you would want to upgrade to a nicer room then the basic if you are staying here.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Nicki V
Reviewed 13 November 2011

We enjoyed our first stay in this small hotel in the Marais area of Paris (4th "arrondissement"), just steps away from the Centre Pompidou, the Quais of the Seine, and a short walk from the Place des Vosges. For less than 150 Euros per night, our room on the third floor was small but cozy and comfortable, with a large and modern bathroom (featuring a large tub but no separate shower). Our room featured a good mixture of character and modern amenities, with lovely exposed beams in the ceiling showing the age of the building, while the throughly modern windows blocked out all street noises. We would have wished for a bit softer towels, and there was a bit of mold in the corner of our tub, but the convenience, charm and value of this hotel made it easy to overlook these details. We will be happy to return.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple