“Worst Hostel during my interrail trip!”

Auberge Internationale des Jeunes
Ranked #126 of 194 Speciality Lodging in Paris
Reviewed 9 September 2011

I would never recommend anyone to stay here! The customer service was atrocious. First of all me and my friend were not put into the same room even though we booked together. When asking for help, they couldn't give it because "I don't know the area". The breakfast is very poor and includea a lock out from 11am till 3pm.
The one and only positive thing about this hostel is that it is clean.
They are not friendly at all!

Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Elizabeth J

Reviewed 23 July 2011

Stayed in this hostel for 4 nights. I didn't have any expectations of it, because of some bad reviews. Well it totally surprised me!! The hostel was VERY clean, it was cleaned every day. You have to be out from 11 to 16.00 but so they could clean but who cares if you are in Paris you want to explore and not stay in your room during the day. So I left my suitcase everyday in the luggage room. Nothing has been stolen everything was fine. Ok the stairs where horrible to walk with a heavy suitcase. The staff was friendly. But I didn't have any complaints so maybe that's why :P
Some showers where not very good, but at least had hot water.. but you can also search for a nice shower in the hallways.
Overall...had a good stay there, met nice people and slept quite well.

one tip: take your own blanket to sleep under because the one on the bed smell a little bit.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 July 2011

We met some great fellow travelers who taught us some interesting new words, shared their juiceboxes, and accused me of robbing the louvre...

Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Freecoffee
Reviewed 7 July 2011

The staff of this hostel is just terrible. I´ve never been so mad at a hostel before. Me and my wife felt being stolen by this third-rate hostel. The shower is a joke, just a hole with cold water passing through. We left the day after and lost our money. The worst cost-benefit relation. NEVER AGAIN!!!!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank rvieirabsb
Reviewed 20 June 2011

The hostel has a friendly environment and is situated in a teenage friendly neighborhood. The people at the front desk were always willing to help with any troubles. Also, everyday our rooms were cleaned -- something that doesn't always happen in hostels. The location was great because we were very close to the metro station and some great (reasonable) restaurants. Overall, the hostel is an inexpensive place to be in the middle of Paris. We recommend renting an extra sheet at the front desk and a towel if you didn't bring one.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 April 2011

This is the worst hostel I've ever stayed at. The staff was incompetent and unhelpful. The system of reservation is awful. You reserve a specific room, so I had to check in three different times during the course of my 5-day stay. You are not allowed to return to the hostel between 11 a.m. and 4 p.m., but if you re-check in you have to move your things out of the damp, dungeon-like storage room by 8 p.m., which messed up my entire schedule in Paris. In the middle of the day there's a chance they might move you to another room without telling you. One of my friends who booked a girls-only room was disturbed to wake up with a guy sleeping beside her.

But perhaps the worst part of my stay was the group of 70 9-year-old school children who stayed in the hostel. They yelled at us for knocking on the door to our room at 10 p.m. because we were too loud and they were sleeping, THEN they woke me up at 7 a.m. two days in a row, running down the halls for an hour, gathering right outside my door and being obnoxiously loud. Have you ever heard of 9-year-olds staying in a youth hostel? It was absurd and ridiculous.

Internet access is not free, and no access to an outlet in some of the rooms, so no way to charge our camera batteries, phones and ipods. The breakfast is awful. The water in the showers was only scalding hot.

Terrible hostel. I would much rather pay a little extra money for a better place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank chocopup90
Reviewed 5 March 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights... Terrible breakfast, no internet, uncomfortable beds, bathroom floods whole room every time you shower, rental towels were absolutely disgusting, very very rude staff (see below):

2am on the second night water started gushing through the roof into our room, the only way to get our bags out of the water was to put them on our beds... went to the reception to see if we could change room, response was: "no". Asked for at least a couple of big buckets to try and contain the water: "we don't have any". "there might be one outside for the cleaners, go get that". Took the bucket back to our room and started catching water, till there was a knock at the door, it was the front desk guy asking for the bucket back because he just realised the cleaners would need it at 6am.
Needless to say we were all a bit annoyed by this stage. I asked for at least a partial refund for the night's accommodation and again the answer was: "no".

I cannot recommend strongly enough that you don't stay at this hostel... pay the extra to get somewhere decent.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business