“Worst Hostel I've ever stayed in!!”

Auberge Internationale des Jeunes
Ranked #123 of 192 Speciality Lodging in Paris
Reviewed 4 March 2012

I stayed in this hostel a few years ago, and by the looks of the reviews below not much has changed. The website says "an international hostel in the centre of Paris" - I would call this false advertising. Although it is in Paris, it is a trek away from any of the tourist attractions that a hostel-er would want to see! This was the first hostel I stayed in on my interrailing trip, and it was also the WORST!

The bunkbeds were SO small you could not sit upright in the bottom bunk - they were children's bunks only! The curtains and bedding all had holes in them. The shower was SO small. The linin was dirty. Breakfast was a bread roll every day - that was it. And some days even that was stale. The staff were not quick in coming forward to help either.

The one positive thing I can say about this hostel is that there was a social area so I did not have to endure the awful room! We met two fantastic people here and it was only bearable because we made it so. Other than that.... I would urge anyone to stay away! It may seem cheap, but it's no deal! RIP OFF.

Room Tip: There are no "good" rooms here!
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank turtle10690

Reviewed 9 January 2012

My friend and me stayed 3 days in the hostel, sharing the room with 2 other girls.
The place is nice and clean, the location is great and the stuff is very friendly and helpful. However, I would like to mention the saloon door on the bathroom that everybody is talking about and I have to say that it's not a problem at all. That door give enough privacy so I definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 November 2011

please do not stay here...breakfast sucks, no internet, beds are big enough for kids only, staff is rude, shower room is a joke, don't get to use the kitchen...i've been so many hostels in the world and i can vouch that this is the WORST !!!

I will never return here...or even recommend to anyone...guys, please put ur money elsewhere...

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Alan K
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I went to take a shower and there was no place to hang my towel and clothes. So I left them outside and kinda had to hop out naked to dry myself.

I also saw a completely naked man in there from the hallway as the doors are saloon style. However, I understand he had no choice given the layout of the stalls.

Other than that I loved it!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 October 2011

The rooms were very nice; quite new and clean... The toilets and the bath however, was not; our floor only had two toilets and one of them had no light and the baths were made as cupicles - no place to put your clothes or anything.. Great location; close to the metro and relatively close to the city.. Breakfast was supplied but not great in any way - most simple breakfast I have ever had in Paris - which is saying a lot; one small baguette with jam and a cup of coffee or hot chocolate

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 October 2011

Stayed for two nights during the summer. If you are looking for luxury this is not the place for you. However it suited our needs and we found the place to be clean, and the people helpful.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 September 2011

I would never recommend anyone to stay here! The customer service was atrocious. First of all me and my friend were not put into the same room even though we booked together. When asking for help, they couldn't give it because "I don't know the area". The breakfast is very poor and includea a lock out from 11am till 3pm.
The one and only positive thing about this hostel is that it is clean.
They are not friendly at all!

Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends