“What You'd Expect for a Hostel”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
BVJ Paris/Quartier Latin
Ranked #91 of 164 Speciality Lodging in Paris
Sydney
“What You'd Expect for a Hostel”
Reviewed 3 August 2011

It's what you'd expect if you booked a room at a hostel in Paris, I guess. You get your basics, and that it is. I got a single room (with a squeaky bed), with a shower and basin. The toilet is shared. The room is ABSOLUTELY basic. There are some sheets for the bed, and that is pretty much it. There are no extra stuff, like toiletries, towel, hair dryer, etc. The other disadvantage is there is no lift, so good luck if you have luggage and have to climb 6 floors. The bed I had needs a change, but at least I didn't encounter any bed bugs. Breakfast is included but you get your basics: toast, cereals, hot drinks and juices. I guess for what you pay in Paris may be pretty typical. However for what you'd pay if in other places, it's pretty poor standard. At least the location is pretty central in the Latin Quarter area, 5 mins walk to metro station, and 10-15 mins walk to Notre Dame Cathedral.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
7 Thank CrazieGal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 31 July 2011

The hostel itself isn't terrible, it's in a great location being 5 minutes away from the cathedral and close to so many other locations. The breakfast is awesome if you like good bread and they serve you your morning coffee in a huge bowl, so no complaints there. In the rooms the only problem would be that there is no shower curtain/door it just kindof opens into the bathroom which equally has no door and just opens into the room. The main problems we had were with their reservation system, they say they don't guarantee the type of room, we didn't realize that meant for every night in our stay we could be changed of rooms! We stayed 7 nights and moved 5 times, which means taking your bags down the 6 flights of stairs and back up 5 some days if you're unlucky like we were. Equally I got bedbug bites (I'm extremely reactive to these and was one of the only guests who had them, so if you've stayed in many hostels you probably don't have to worry, you may not be allergic). Also, there was one very rude girl at reception that we constantly had to deal with due to room changes.

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank Valerie-Hastings
Joue-les-Tours, France
Reviewed 6 April 2011

I stayed in this hostel for ten days or so and I loved it! The stuff is very kind and helpfull, they even helped me with my French wich isn't the best. Fellow travelers I met were also very friendly, we still keep in touch. The hostel is just a couple of minutes from the Sein and the Notre Dame - it was fun to walk along in Paris with guys from all over the world and sharing experiences :) As I didn't want to stay indoors there was nothing to regret with the room. Breakfast is simple but good. The only difficulty is to get down to the breakfast room before 9 am... If you have only a couple of days in Paris before your next destination, I recommand you this hostel. I've got this real Paris feeling there...

Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
21 Thank ABrightside
Paris, France
Reviewed 1 April 2011

Have you ever heard of Quartier Latin (Latin Area)? If you haven't, all you need to know is that this is the area where you want to be when in Paris. There is just anything you want: monuments, shops, bars, people, restaurant and nightlife! This hostel is located right in this area, and most must-see are just a few steps away.
The hostel is quite nice, we were staying in a room just for the three of us, which was really convenient. Shower is inside the room, not the best shower I've ever seen, but clean and with hot water, which is more that you can find in many hostels around Europe.
And also, of course, open 24h! The hostel we were just before this one had this crazy rule about lock-out every day from 10h to 18h to clean and curfew at 2a.m. So we decided to change place, and BVJ Quartier Latin turned out to be one of the few hostels in Paris really open 24/24h.
What else? Breakfast is good, staff is helpful, probably not the best hostel I've ever stayed in, but definitely a place I would recommend for a stay in Paris.

Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
21 Thank Dabadida
Avignon, France
Reviewed 11 November 2010

I loved the fact that the hostel is situated in the Quartier Latin, just a few minutes' walk from the Notre Dame, but what I did not like was the fact that the room I stayed in was equipped so as not to allow me to take a shower. The room had bunk beds and a seperate room with a shower and basins, but it had no shower curtain or even a door to the bathroom and as we shared with strangers, I could not shower during my stay. Hauling my luggage up 6 flights of stairs (alas, no elevator) also wasn't too great. However, the rooms were spotlessly clean and the hostel offers a standard breakfast of bread, marmelade, hot chocolate, coffee and cornflakes, included in the price of the room. This is a good hostel if you're on a budget and not too particular about skipping a shower!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank CKcapetown

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

Sofia, Bulgaria
Reviewed 10 November 2010

Despite some bad reviews on this site, our school group went with BVJ Hostel/Quartier Latin for its location, and we loved it. Everything turned out wonderfully: the rooms, the service and staff, and, of course, the location. OK, It's not the Geroge V; it's a hostel, for goodness sake, but our group of HS students had a great time, despite squalls and strikes going on in Paris. The manager was more than gracious about our visit and I would take my students there again.

• Stayed October 2010
19 Thank colorfield
UK
Reviewed 22 August 2010

I tried to reserve a single room at this hostel but was told that they would take my details BUT THAT THEY COULDN'T GUARANTEE WHAT KIND OF ROOM I WOULD BE GIVEN!

It made no sense. I was prepared to pay the 45 euros for a single room but they wouldn't guarantee that a single room would be kept for me! Why not? I can only think that if they find that they can pack the place out then they will put two friends in a single bed and make double the amount on a single room!

Avoid this place unless you are a masochist who is prepared to be turn up and be treated badly.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo