“Good if you can go without showering” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of BVJ Paris/Quartier Latin

We can't find prices for this accommodation
BVJ Paris/Quartier Latin
Ranked #78 of 155 Speciality Lodging in Paris
Avignon, France
“Good if you can go without showering”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2010

I loved the fact that the hostel is situated in the Quartier Latin, just a few minutes' walk from the Notre Dame, but what I did not like was the fact that the room I stayed in was equipped so as not to allow me to take a shower. The room had bunk beds and a seperate room with a shower and basins, but it had no shower curtain or even a door to the bathroom and as we shared with strangers, I could not shower during my stay. Hauling my luggage up 6 flights of stairs (alas, no elevator) also wasn't too great. However, the rooms were spotlessly clean and the hostel offers a standard breakfast of bread, marmelade, hot chocolate, coffee and cornflakes, included in the price of the room. This is a good hostel if you're on a budget and not too particular about skipping a shower!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank CKcapetown

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Sofia, Bulgaria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2010

Despite some bad reviews on this site, our school group went with BVJ Hostel/Quartier Latin for its location, and we loved it. Everything turned out wonderfully: the rooms, the service and staff, and, of course, the location. OK, It's not the Geroge V; it's a hostel, for goodness sake, but our group of HS students had a great time, despite squalls and strikes going on in Paris. The manager was more than gracious about our visit and I would take my students there again.

• Stayed October 2010
19 Thank colorfield
UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2010

I tried to reserve a single room at this hostel but was told that they would take my details BUT THAT THEY COULDN'T GUARANTEE WHAT KIND OF ROOM I WOULD BE GIVEN!

It made no sense. I was prepared to pay the 45 euros for a single room but they wouldn't guarantee that a single room would be kept for me! Why not? I can only think that if they find that they can pack the place out then they will put two friends in a single bed and make double the amount on a single room!

Avoid this place unless you are a masochist who is prepared to be turn up and be treated badly.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank OccasionalVisitor05

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

Zurich, Switzerland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2010

This was by far the worst hostel I have ever stayed at. They lost our reservation 4 times, after continually checking to make sure that they had our room, they gave it away to someone else. This was AFTER they made us switch to their other hostel so we had to carry our bags across paris to the other location, who didnt know that we were coming. Disorganized, unfriendly, terrible, even when you are polite. NEVER go to this hostel, you can find a cheap hotel for the same price where it doesnt stink like urine.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank blueherbst
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2010

I agree with the other reviews here, cleanliness, service, rooms were although mediocre to bad - maybe slightly better than some people have experienced. To be fair my reservation was respected even though I got in around 12:30 am, although I called to confirm on the same day. However I wanted to warn others that in addition to a general lack of privacy (even by dorm standards) one of the men who does the cleaning came in the women's dorm and wandered around at about 10 in the morning. He was just changing sheets, but I would not have expected a cleaner to come in the dorm before checkout time, especially a male cleaner into the womens-only dorm. I was about to change - or someone could have been showering in their doorless showers and he gave no warning at all. Then he kept asking us over and over which beds were empty and which had people who were staying - I have no idea why he couldn't find out from the reception.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank gcalder1
Mexico City, Mexico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2010

I made a reservation with this hostel for two nights but when I got there (which was quite easy because the location is great) they told me I hadn't made one. They were "kind" enough to find me a bed there for the first night but had to find another hostel for the next day, which I wish I had done in the first place. It was a shared room with 7 other people and like everyone else said there was no door or curtain in the shower, since I didn't know anyone at all there, it was very uncomfortable. If you'd like to experience what it's like to shower in prison then this is the place to go, otherwise don't waste your money. At 29 euros a night I think it was a theft.
The next day the receptionist found another place for me, which was the best thing about staying there. I went to another hostel 5 minutes by bus from that one and 10 euros cheaper. And the bathroom had both a door and a shower curtain. That's the AIJ hostel in case you were wondering, more decent than this one.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank sopasopasopa
near Eindhoven
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2010

So we went to Paris with our class, and of course I looked up reviews about the hostel. I was afraid of wat I was going to see and it started very bad already..
So we got in, first think that stroke me was the smell. I really thought it smelt like hell there! We got at the hostel at 1:30 pm, but we weren't allowed to check-in because we had to wait untill 2:30. So we went to the Notre Dame which is like really close to the hostel - that's a good think, at least.
When we got back, we were allowed to check in. They have rooms for 3, 4 and 10. Each floor has one toilet for the three/four rooms, but the room for ten persons have 2 toiletc themselves!
The room was clean and the staff had opened the windows, at least it was nice in there. But we had to make the beds ourselves and some of us even had blood on their sheets! That was disgusting!
Also the toilets were like disgusting, the weirest part was that there weren't any curtains or doors in front of the showers. But if you're in a room with people you know and you make good appointments about who is going to shower when, it isn't really a problem.
I wouldn't recommend you this hostel, I think there are better hostels, although the location is pretty awesome.
Oh, also the breakfast was like a waste of your time. It was disgusting. The staff indeed are unfriendly, although the man who is at the reception at night time is kind, but the staff who clean the tables after breakfast are not friendly at all. They got mad at us because we didn't clean our table, well, we were still eating!!
I hope you find this review useful.

• Stayed March 2010