New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #31 of 149 Speciality Lodging in Paris
London, United Kingdom
“Travel experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2011

I arrived at the hostel late in the evening from the airport. The receptionist was very friendly and put up with my attempts to practice my French though he was clearly fluent in English as well. I left early the next morning, but slept well despite being in a large room with many guests (who observed lights out) and noises of the small road below. The area itself seemed to have a lot of restaurants with character. The bathrooms were communal but seemed fine. I'm sure it would have been fun to stay and meet the other guests, but it served my purposes of providing relative cheap but safe/comfortable housing for a single night.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Youngandhappy M, Gérant at Young & Happy Hostel, responded to this review, 11 October 2016
Thanks for this very good review and we're glad to read you loked your experience with us. See you soon !

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

Had such a great experience at the young and happy!

Such a good location and the man on the front desk is very friendly and helpful!

Breakfast wasn't very exciting but it's a hostel!

• Stayed June 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Alexandre D, Responsable réception at Young & Happy Hostel, responded to this review, 30 August 2011
Hi dear, Thanks a lot for your comment. We hope you had a nice time in Paris and with us. See you again.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2011

I've never written a review before, even though I've stayed in at least 50 other hostels, but this time I just have to say something.This was the worst hostel I've ever stayed in. I'm surprised the sanitation and/or safety department doesn't shot this down. I've stayed in many hostels
all over the world and five other hostels in Paris and this was the worst experience that almost ruined my trip. Reasons:1. It is extremely loud at night;there is a bar and a club right across open till 5 am. Earplugs will not help. At 6 am you will be woken up by construction outside of the building. 2.There are only two toilets for 4 floors of people. They are always extremely dirty. 3. Showers are so dirty, that I felt like I needed another shower after taking a shower. It's so dirty that there is stuff growing on walls and a ceiling. 4. It smells. I actually had to buy lavender oil before entering the room and leave it there.5. Breakfast is a joke, and cups are dirty.6. Only one Italian guy with long hair who works there was nice. The rest of the staff was rude and tired.
For the same price square caulancourt is 100% better and cleaner with a good breakfast and peace.

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank Axlg
Dear guest, we thank you for sharing with us your feedback. we have analysed your feeback and apologize for the problems occurred during your last stay. Since, we have improved and refurbished some areas and rooms and hope to have the opportunity to let you discover our new services and facilities, much more convenient. See you soon with us !

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

Edson, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights and found the location to be great. The rooms were clean, and the staff was very friendly. We were in a room with 8 other people each night, and they too were very friendly. They were doing some renovations when we were there, but we weren't there during the day, so the noise didn't bother us. As for the rooms, they were nothing exceptional, but we weren't expecting that. We did find the narrow, uneven, spiral staircases (no elevators) to be difficult to get our big, heavy bags up and down, although 2 staff members carried our bags up for to the top floor before ending their shift! There aren't bathrooms and showers on every floor either, but they were clean when we were there. On our last day, we had no internet time left, so we journeyed out to find the nearby Starbucks or McDonalds for some free wi-fi to waste time before our train left. We couldn't get it to work, so went back to the hostel. When they found out why we went out and that it didn't work, they gave us free internet until we left for our train.
Over all, we were very satisfied with this hostel and wouldn't be against going back there again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank CanadianCurlyfry
dear guest, thanks a lot for your positive feedback we're very happy to know you enjoyed your stay on the whole with reception and atmosphere of the neighborhood We're waiting for you for another stay !
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2011

Luckily, this hostel did not have bed bugs.

Very budget- which is good for those who have packed their own hand soap/sanitizer/don't care, don't mind the 4 pm check in time (We thought we didn't, but when we had a terrible flight experience, really could have used the bed for much needed sleep), or the noise (if you're sensitive, I found it extremely useful to have either earplugs or a white noise app on the ipod. I slept well because of that, but my partner who did not have those, slept terribly).

If you appreciate socializing, I think you'll like the atmosphere. Great way to meet people. Also, loved the little neighbourhood!

Overall, if you can afford even a slightly more expensive room and have higher cleanliness standards, this isn't for you. If you are really looking for something to match your budget, you love pretending you are camping and are travel-hardy, there could be way worse than this place.

Hope this helps!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Beezous
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2011

I stayed here with friends for 3 nights during an inter-rail trip around Europe. We were on a budget and opted to stay in a hostel.

The rooms are quite crowded and were hot and poorly ventilated. I would say this is one of the poorer hostels I have stayed in. For a trip away, on a budget, with a group of friends it fits the bill.

The location was good, as were the staff. I would say that assuming you know what basic hostels are like, you wont be too disappointed although if booking, go with the mindset that it will be cheap and cheerful.

It wasn't too bad overall but I doubt I'd go back.

• Stayed July 2010
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
dear guest, thanks a lot for your positive feedback we're very happy to know you enjoyed your stay. Hope to welcome you soon for another experience
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2011

Before venturing across the pond once again, I looked at many hostels in Paris. I read many reviews, and decided to stay here in spite of the plethora of negative comments this hostel received. The reviews simply didn't dissuade me because they seemed to be written mostly by angry, unhappy people. This is the price happy and spirited people pay each and every day. If you are still under mommy and daddy's wing and expect to be pampered and babied, please stay at a 4-5 star hotel (150-350 euros per night) located in the same area of town. Otherwise, open your heart and stay here. You will not regret it.

For me, meeting happy and open-minded people; having a nice kitchen to prepare meals; having a comfortable place to sleep; and, being greeted by a friendly, knowledgeable, laid-back and tolerant staff are the things I look for in a hostel. I have traveled extensively, and have stayed at many hostels. The Young and Happy Hostel is not a five-star hotel, but the staff surely felt like a five-star guest during my stay. I have to stay that I slept very well here. The beds were very comfortable compared to most hostels I have stayed at.

There is a 5 hour lock-out period from 11am-4pm, but surely you will appreciate their regimented daily cleaning. It also forces you to out an explore Paris, the reason you came, right? You can leave your luggage in the secure luggage room during this time which is nice. There is no curfew, or other silly rules many hostels have. They are flexible and understanding, and you will certainly discover this for yourself. Breakfast is complimentary and it is good. Again, it is not a five-star hotel, but a nice cup of coffee, croissants, bread, jam, milk, orange juice, cereal and the happy smiles from the staff will fill up and send you on your way.

The location is nothing short of incredible. Next door there is a supermarket which closes at 9pm, and if you happen to run late, there is another little store up the hill about 3-5 minutes away near the square and close to a great bakery and an ice cream shop which stay open late. There a laundry facility about 1 minute away by foot. In addition, you will discover a local market on the same street (down the hill) as the hostel which is open most days. It has fresh fruits, vegetables, fish, meats, cheeses, desserts and just about every food you could want. The metro is about 5 minutes away (Place Monge), and Gare Austerlitz is close if you intend on traveling to other areas of France.

I would like to thank the staff for their patience, courtesy, kindness and their laughs and smiles. You surely made everyone's stay remarkable. I hope to return soon. In addition, I would like to offer some advice to everyone who travels: open your heart, let down your guard and enjoy yourself. Then, you will understand why this hostel is called Young and Happy.

Paix et amour,
King Kohn

Room Tip: Be kind and smile.