“Outstanding! Tiny but lovely!”
Review of Hotel Daval

Hotel Daval
Ranked #1,301 of 1,809 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 25 August 2016

I stayed at the Hotel Daval for business, and was there for four nights. I had a fantastic stay! The location can't be beat. You are in the heart of the Bastille neighborhood, which is lively and hip, and also just steps away from the metro and other public transportation to take you anywhere you need to be. The front desk staff were extremely friendly and customer service oriented. I had a late departing flight and they were happy to store my luggage. The neighborhood has a lot of nightlife but I was on an interior courtyard facing room and I never had any issue with noise. Good wifi. Be aware--especially if you are used to US-style hotel rooms--that these rooms are small! In particular, the bathroom is tiny and some reviewers have commented on this. The elevator is tiny. (I had to send up my suitcase unaccompanied and meet it upstairs). I am 5' 2'' and so the compactness never bothered me. I also was traveling alone. The rooms were fairly minimalistic but very clean and kept clean daily. This is not a super luxury hotel with all the extra bells and whistles. FYI: The lights in the stairwells go off (I think automatically) and it can be dark but you can just flip them on. Between the outstanding location, great service, and nice rooms, this was a fantastic value. I would definitely stay here for personal or business again in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for the courtyard-facing room for more quiet. The street has lots of nightlife.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank Amina C

Reviewed 26 June 2016

I have stayed here before for work and this trip was another work one, but I wanted to review as I am always so pleasantly surprised by the service. This is a budget hotel and it is true that the rooms are very small. However, they are also spotlessly clean, modern and well functioning and give you everything you could need. The hotel is situated in a nice, busy area with good transport links and plenty of fun close by spots if you don't want to go far. The staff at reception are always so friendly and accommodating and have helped me with various things over my stays. If you're looking for 5 star fancy, this isn't for you but if you need a good, clean, simple base for Paris, Daval is perfect.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank BeeWhoTravels
Reviewed 25 April 2016

We did not book it, it was part of a sponsored trip. So it was given to us.
- Neat clean Room with clean bathroom.
- Window view was not great
- Pubs and restaurants around are nice.
- walking distance from metro station
- Breakfast is included in the charge but they do not have variety. Milk, Bread, Tea, Coffee, Juice.
- Hosts are nice and helpful

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 March 2016

Great location and I do appreciate that they allowed me to drop my luggage and let me into my room early. But the room was small and musty and many of the light fixtures were broken. The shower was not designed well and water goes everywhere, which I assume contributes to the musty smell of the room. Unfortunately during my stay they were repainting the outside of the hotel so my window was covered by scaffolding and I was not offered a room on the opposite side of the hall. And the strangest part to me is that they ask you to turn in your key when going out for the day, and upon your return you just tell the front desk your room number and they return your key. To me, this seems like a very insecure way to handle guest rooms. What keeps me from asking for another rooms key!? All in all, the room was clean, but there is work that needs to be done before I could stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 December 2015

Booked a number of hotels in different cities for a winter vacation in EU. So didn't spend as much time as I should reviewing each hotel. Daval is close to Rue de Lappe and looked pretty good in photos.

The reality was a little shocking. Tiny room (maybe 3x3 meters including bathroom), that felt much more like a college dorm room (a not very nice one). No minibar, shampoo, conditioner, no laundry service (staff told me they could advise me where to go do my laundry myself). I guess I appeared put-off and she rudely said: 'didn't you know we didn't have laundry before you booked?' - I replied I never thought to ask, I mean - I've never stayed in a 150euro hotel before without laundry service. shrug.

Bed took up most of the space in the room and was comfortable enough, bathroom light didn't work at all, so all showers in the dark. meh.

The draw I suppose is the location, it's really got nothing else going for it. For 150 euro a night it's really criminal. Would highly suggest you stay anyplace else with real services - Rue de Lappe is easily accessible via Bastille metro - and honestly gets old after a few nights. The bars have changed a lot over the last decade.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank blackrice
Reviewed 25 October 2015

The accommodation is simple, clean and comfortable and, if you are looking for somewhere close to the centre of Paris which is just a base for exploring each day, this is perfect.
You are 15 minutes walk from Notre Dame or 3 minutes from the metro. The area is alive with places to eat, drink and enjoy yet the room is silent. There are plenty of places within sight of the entrance to have breakfast which was what we did rather than have breakfast at the hotel. Do not expect the glitz of a 4 or 5 star hotel and you won't be disappointed. It is what it is but we would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: October 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank Natalie L
Reviewed 20 September 2015

Always hard to find good, affordable accommodation in Paris, always satisfactory to find it. At 150eur/night this hotel may not seem strictly affordable, but for paris standards it definitely is:
- Location. On the border of the Marais, guests will be surprised by the livelihood of the area right outside the door, with bars, restaurants, a creperie and a boulangerie, further to the Sunday market
- Room. The person who designed this hotel must have done a master on how to make the most of narrow spaces. Our room had everything, even a big window with view on a quiet back courtyard, and was beautiful too! Walls were painted in dark petrol blue, and yellow lampshades were providing lighter touches to the room. The bathroom was smallish, similar in size and aspect to those on boats, and I really liked that they provided a packet of handkerchiefs with the toiletries. Similarly to the rooms, the hotel spaces are minimal but well exploited, with a tiny 2-persons lift that takes you up the narrow stairs
- Service. We arrived around lunchtime and were give our room immediately, wi fi was free and of great speed, and the guy at reception was really nice, even lending us an umbrella to protect us from the torrential rain. All very much appreciated

We spent only one night at hotel Daval, but we will be back

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple