“Distinctly average”

Novotel Paris Centre Gare Montparnasse
Ranked #433 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Just got back from a 2 night stay at the Novotel Montparnasse, which we booked through lastminute.com's 'top secret hotels'. Having stayed in the Montparnasse area before and enjoyed it's many cafes, bars and restaurants, I thought this would be a good bet for our stay, and a 4* hotel a nice treat as these would usually be beyond our budget.

Unfortunately the hotel is situated in a bit of a black spot behind one of the three Montparnasse stations, surrounded by office buildings. As other reviewers have said it is also a good 10 minute walk to the nearest metro station, although this does take you to a nicer area so not so bad.

In my opinion the quality of the hotel was not what you would expect from a 4*, and we felt that a few corners had been cut: paper cups for the tea and coffee facilities, stained and tired carpet, and just very basic shower gel in the bathrooms. To me it was the equivalent of a Travelodge in the UK - basic, functional and totally characterless. On the plus side the rooms were quiet, the bed comfortable and thre staff pleasant. We got a good deal through last minute, but the rack rate for our room at the hotel was nearly €300/night. If I had paid that I would have been most unhappy with the quality on offer.

Overall this hotel is fine if you're in Paris on business and for a night or two at the most. If you're looking for a nice area, close to transport and with a little class and character, give it a miss.

3  Thank Lucie_Fors

Reviewed 11 May 2012

We were given a handicapped room, without any notice. The room was okay, but the bathroom did not have a shower or a bath. There was just a whole in the floor. There was no way to use the toilet without getting your feet wet since the floor was always wet. For the money that i paid for this room, i expected absolutely different room. The staff is not friendly at all. I did not feel welcomed at all.

2  Thank Alyona S
Reviewed 9 May 2012

Hotel is just okay. If you have any problems, do not expect help from the staff. I was mugged 5 feet from the front door when entering, my ipad stolen. I chased the man, while the "security guard did nothing. I asked 3 different people to call the police...was told to go to the police station and given a map. (MY opinion, they did not want the police there, as the lobby was quite active, as well as the lobby bar, and the small cafe). They were quite unconcerned, and did absolutely nothing to help me. A resident who saw it called the police, and summoned them to the hotel. I am more upset about the lack of any type of help from the hotel, than the actual mugging! I am airline crew, it was definitely not my choice to stay at this "hotel".

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank kaneohemar
H5060GM, General Manager at Novotel Paris Centre Gare Montparnasse, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2012

Dear Guest,

I am deeply sorry for the attack and theft which you have experienced on the street near the hotel.
I hope you feel better.
I totally understand your confusion and anxiety after such a situation.
I want to emphasize that is extremely rare and we have never known such incident, the district is known for its tranquility and safety.

I am surprised by your affirmation, because as soon as we have been informed, even if it was on the public street, our security guard tried to catch the thief of your I Pad and the police came, due to different calls from people.

I regret that you have the feeling that nobody cares about you, because my team is usually very attentive and available for our customers.

It may be was a misunderstanding because the police never move along for this type of incident. They ask us to refer people wishing to complain to the police station.

Hope you will not hold against us for the incident.

Best Regards,

Michel FAQUIN

Reviewed 8 May 2012

I wasn't left overly impressed by this hotel unfortunately. In a city that is pebble-dashed with Metro and RER stops, this hotel seems to be in quite a black spot and is a bit of a walk to the nearest metro. Don't let the fact that Gare Montparnasse is on the doorstep fool you into thinking a metro is close by too (I fell into this trap).

We booked the hotel through lastminute.com and upon check in were told we had to give credit card details (understandable) but they then charged 1 euro (assuming to test it worked) but as UK citizens with a UK bank account, it's not just 1 euro, there's the bank charge and the bad exchange rate. I think this is really bad on the hotel's part, this cost should not get passed on to the customer, or if it is, clearly stated when booking.

Once we got to the room, the maid had set up the room not for our booking. We had to put away the sofabed and bedding otherwise there wouldn't have been much room to move around. The plugs in the bathroom were left strewn across the bathtub/sink/shower, not put back after cleaning, and the mini bar had not been cleaned out from the guests before us - ham, half drank bottles of water and an opened chocolate bar left inside. Don't get me wrong, I've stayed in my fair share of backpackers hostels, but I'm a believer that you should get what you pay for. If I'd paid 20 or 30 euros a night, I would never dare dream of complaining of such things. But a 4* hotel with a price to match, I'd expected more

Our room was at the back of the hotel and the announcements from the train station were audible with the window open, though not enough to keep us up at night.

The plus side was that the staff were friendly and helpful and recommended a good creperie for us to eat at.

2  Thank Caroline K
Reviewed 2 May 2012

Great location for this hotel, not quite as close to the Gare Montparnasse trains as the title would lead you to believe but not bad nonetheless. Disappointed in the little things like, no tea & coffee making facilities, no iron (when one did arrive it was antiquated with frayed cord with the smallest most useless ironing board in the world), plastic cups for drinking. Overall typical bigger hotel that serves a purpose.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank BeautGem
Reviewed 27 April 2012

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 25 April 2012

If you're a couple looking for a charming, romantic little pensione tucked away in some discreet corner of Paris this is not the place. I don't mean this in a bad way, I'm just saying this hotel is better suited for tourist families or business people coming in or out of the Gare Montparnasse. If this is you, the Novotel is a modern, clean, well appointed choice.

Good

The Room: Booked for two people (my elderly mother and I) and was outfitted with a queen bed and a sleeper sofa. Sleeper sofa technology hasn't changed much over the years, they still aren't as nice as a legitimate mattress, but I slept on it for three nights without a problem. The room was a bit warm for our taste and the A/C did not seem to respond very promptly, but it wasn't terribly noticeable. It took a while, but it cooled down. I liked the fact that the toilet was completely separate from the shower and bath. By this I don't mean a partition, it is actually a separate little room by the door. I would bet that this building once had common showers at the end of the corridor and the addition of the in-room shower and sink did not allow for all to be placed together. Good feature. Two bottles of complimentary mineral water were restocked daily. There was a good kettle and plenty of coffee and tea. Everything was clean and modern. The wi-fi worked well and was free. The little fridge was great.

Location: Montparnasse is a functional, residential neighborhood, not an artsy fartsy one. If that suits you, it suits you. If not, keep looking. The proximity to the train station was great. The Pasteur and Volontaires metro stations are about equal distance from the hotel; about 15 minutes walk, and each provide relatively easy access to the whole city. If 15 minute walks are a problem, keep looking.

Staff: Everyone was good.

Bad

One of the main reasons I selected this hotel was the fact that they report having an airport shuttle. My understanding of an airport shuttle is a bus/van that picks you up in front of the hotel and drops you off curbside at your airline's section of the terminal. The fee should be nominal if any.

This hotel does not have that.

There is a shuttle bus operated by Air France that departs from the southeast side of the Montparnasse train station, which is about 3.5 blocks away. It's around $17E each way and may not take you to your terminal depending on if your terminal is one of the ones under renovation. Alternately they can book you a car for about 60E!!!

I don't think the hotel should say they have a shuttle to the airport if the shuttle does not pick you up at the hotel. There is a shuttle service "in the area" which patrons of all local hotels and airlines may use for a 17E fee. Considering the luggage laden trek you must take to get to the bus, then trek through the underground parking lots at CDG to get to your terminal - I'd say it's not a convenient hotel for accessing the airport.

I don't understand why hotels cannot offer either self-service laundry or an inexpensive "wash, dry, fold" option for a load of general laundry. Instead you get these outrageous prices for individual articles. They makes sense for business travelers with suits and what not, but for tourists they are ridiculous.

All in all however, the cons are minor as long as you are aware of them going in. Overall the Novotel Montparnasse is a good option for travelers whose needs are met by a modern, clean facility that's close to the train station.

Tips: There's a grocery store on the southeast side of the station, across from the airport shuttle bus stop where you can buy food and drinks for local prices instead of hotel prices. There are two laundromats "laverie" in the area. One is on Rue du Blomel just south of the hostel, the other is at the corner of Rue Plumet and Rue Bargue (use google maps to find them).

Room Tip: My room was closest to the elevator and it did not bother me a bit. I didn't hear anything at al...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family