“April in Paris”

Ranked #509 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
“April in Paris”
Reviewed 5 May 2012

We stayed two nights on a quick trip to Giverny. The staff was very pleasant and their English was fantastic, wonderful since I have no French. The room was small but comfortable and clean with a lovely street view. I recommend skipping the breakfast and going to the patisserie next door. Everything we had there was excellent, worth a return trip.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Pat T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2012

In summary the hotel is ideal for a weekend break and I would go there again. We had one of the very small rooms - OK for us but probably not for anyone touring Europe with lots of baggage. The breakfast is more than adequate with fruit, croissants of all sorts, rolls, ham, cheese, yogs etc. The dining room is small and on the last day we had to wait for a table. Rooms are cleaned daily wth fresh towels but we had trouble with our shower which needed fixing. Staff very helpful and friendly and speak some English. Metro (Daumesnil) is about one min away and there are lots of shops and restaurants around in this very pleasant area. Restaurant 'Le Metro' is good but better still was the 'Le Petit Troo' - fabulous but not over priced - I recommend the 'os à moelle' - yummy!

Room Tip: I would ask for a larger room - not sure how many or how big they are.
2 Thank teens_again
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2012

I'm so glad that I decided to book this hotel. It is very close to a Metro station, which is good since I go back to the hotel late, and the area looks safe. There's a restaurant across the street and a pharmacy/drugstore as well. The staff is very pleasant and accomodating. The bathroom is always clean. It helps that the wifi is excellent. I was a bit concerned about leaving my luggage by the reception area on my last day, as someone might pick it up, even by mistake, but I appreciated the way they made up a tag for my bag with my name on it. I have recommended this hotel to several of my friends who are thinking of going to Paris. I would definitely stay in this hotel again if I go back to Paris.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Aida205
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed at this hotel in Paris on a weekend break. We found the hotel staff helpful. The breakfast was enjoyable but the selection was small. The room was small but clean and the room service was good. The room had a nice shower, a fridge, safe and tea making facilities.
The hotel was very near to a metro station which took you straight to theheart of Paris. Great hotel for a short break.

2 Thank Lyn0607
Northampton
Reviewed 19 April 2012

We spent 3 nights in the Grand Hotel Dore mid March for our anniversay. On arrival we were greeted by a pleasent and very helpful lady who gave us a map of the local area, talked us though local restaurants the local supermaket and the basics for the metro. One great tip she gave us was to get of at the Trocadero stop when visiting the Effiel Tower not the Effiel Tower stop itself. Trust me for the view alone its worth it. She also had a laugh about the size of the lift with us, it is small but myself and my partner fitting in with our luggage.

We stayed in room 317 which I must say was a lovely room. Now I cant say if I got lucky but I have to totally disagree with the comments on here about the size of the room. We found the room very comfortable, lovely double bed, flat screen tv, nice sized wardrobe, tea and coffee and a nice sized bathroom. Also the room was cleaned every day and was always spottless!

Breakfast was great. Nice choice of fresh fruit, croissants, yoghurt, ham, cheese and cereals. Also tea and coffee is offered by the waitress.

The location of the hotel is excellent. The metro is a 30 second walk away and the stop is on the main line so the main attractions are very easy to get to.

Overall we had a great trip and our hotel only added to a great experience! We will be back!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank rtwhufc83
New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 April 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights over the Easter holiday. I have been to Paris before, and I both lived and travelled in Europe extensively. I booked this hotel based on a wonderful flight and hotel deal from Expedia. I read the reviews here, and was happy to see that travellers were satisfied. Here is my opinion:

The good:
- Price
- Location right next to the metro station and great restaurant Au Metro
- Friendly and helpful staff
- Clean

The not so good:
- Coming from North America, flights arrive early. However, the hotel's check out time is 12PM and check-in time is 2PM, allowing the cleaning lady 2 hours to get to the rooms. Upon arrival at noon, we had to wait until 1:40 to get our room. While the reception did offer to hold our luggage, there was no way we were going to roam Paris after an overnight flight without freshening up, changing, etc.

- The rooms are small, by any standard, apart from Tokyo capsule hotels. We had a double bed and a single bed in our room, and it reminded me of my dorm in university. I don't spend time in hotel rooms apart from sleeping, but even at that, I felt claustrophobic. Not only are the rooms small, but they are also VERY closely located. Our neighbour's bed headboard was next to mine. I know this because I heard the couple's romp at 5AM in the morning. It sounded like they were in our room as I could hear the smallest of details of their physical intimacy. Not only was the wall shaking (more like cardboard), but so was my own headboard. Not pleasant at all.

- The amenities of this hotel are minimal. While you do have a coffee maker in your room, you don't even get a note pad or a pen. This may not be an issue for men, but the hair dryers in the bathroom are ancient and will automatically turn off when they heat up, which happens after about 2-3 minutes of use. You then have to wait until they have cooled down to finish drying your hair. I would have to time my getting-ready around the hair dryer so that it had enough time to cool down twice. This was annoying. The hotel's shampoo leaves much to be desired, so I would suggest bringing or purchasing your own. And there is no hair conditioner, so bring that along as well if you use it. It's standard for 3-star hotels to have decent hair dryers and hair conditioner nowadays, so I was a little disappointed.

- Although the hotel is close to the metro station, it will take you about 25-40 minutes to get to your destination since you will need to transfer lines for almost all central locations. By the way, a little tip to all of you: if you are only planning on getting on the metro twice or three times a day, don't bother buying the Paris Visite pass. It's not worth it. It's cheaper to get single tickets. The Paris Visite pass is meant for those who plan on travelling on the metro/bus extensively. But when you visit sites, etc, you will most likely plan your day around a particular neighbourhood, so you're likely not to require the metro or bus to move around great distances.

Having given this hotel a try, I would rather have spent more money but enjoyed a little more comfort and convenience.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank tripsickle
Guernsey
Reviewed 14 April 2012

We have just spent five nights at the Grand Hotel Dore over Easter. We chose our hotel carefully based on reviews and our budget and we were not disappointed. We fully expected the room to be small, not only based on the reviews, but because they all are in Paris, even in the 4* hotels. So yes, the rooms are small, but perfectly adequate for us to have a comfortable five nights' stay. Now onto the positives. We arrived late on our first night to be greeted at reception by very friendly and informative English speaking staff. We were given a maps of Paris and the local area with recommendations of restaurants and bars in the area. The room was spotless, with clean sheets and fresh towels daily. The bed was extremely comfortable and I often don't sleep well in hotels. We had windows that could open, overlooking the tree-lined boulevard at Daumesnil. The real plus points for us, which you don't get in the 4* hotels in Paris, were the kettle with tea and coffee and the fridge which was big enough for your own bottles of wine. Breakfast was also included and which we looked forward to every day. A good choice continental breakfast with fresh baguettes, croissants and pastries, good selection of cheeses and hams, yoghurts, cereal and a good fresh fruit salad (which put the Holiday Inn on our return to the UK to shame). The metro is right next to the hotel so the connections are good, and the restaurants and boulangeries at Daumesnil were excellent. We ate/drank locally 4 out of 5 nights and recommend Au Metro for the bistro. Also really good pizza restaurant nearby. You can buy delicious fresh filled baguettes nearby to take with you, which are much cheaper than in the centre of Paris. Excellent value for money, clean with good facilities, convenient location, friendly staff, we will definitely stay here again.

1 Thank Richard J