“Marvellous gem in the beautiful Marais”
Review of Hotel Caron

Hotel Caron
Ranked #494 of 1,809 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Quelle magnifique! I could not have asked for a better hotel room in Paris! I arrived after 30 hours of continuous travelling and was simply stunned by the hotel room. I had requested a room with a street view, and my room on the 3rd floor overlooked the tiny rue du Caron and down towards Place St Catherine... a beautiful part of the Marais. The 3 double French windows actually opened and it was delightful to savour the atmosphere.

The room: the hotel photos are actually an honest and excellent representation. The decor was inviting, the bed was comfortable, the mini bar was FREE and re-stocked each day (I only enjoyed a few drinks and the KitKat), the bathroom was compact but very functional (loved the large showerhead and Occitane products ... and enormous fluffy white towels!), and the room was pleasantly air conditioned (a welcome addition as I arrived in Paris at the end of their heatwave). I was travelling solo and the space in the room size was perfect for me.

The hotel: The reception staff were all very friendly and put up with my attempts at French. The free wi-fi (access codes per device) was fantastic and fast. I did not eat breakfast here so I cannot comment about the breakfast room or menu options. I took the lift upstairs to my room but used the stairwell to go down - it's a bit dim even with the automatic sensor lights, but that's the only 'negative' (if it can be called that!).

The area: The Marais is a beautiful district to explore on foot, and there are plenty of places to eat in Place St Catherine. The hotel is also only a short stroll from the St Paul metro station (there is a handy escalator going up - perfect for taking luggage!).

I am *so* glad that I found this place on TripAdvisor and the hotel really lived up to its great reviews. This is a beautiful little hotel, complete with many essential and bonus items, and I am just sorry that I am not staying longer! I would highly recommend Hotel Caron to visitors in Paris - c'est magnifique!

Room Tip: Ask for a street view
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank TashfromMelb

Reviewed 10 August 2012

We traveled from Nice to Paris for our honeymoon and chose Hotel Caron because the photos on the website looked wonderful... and the photos did not disappoint. The room we stayed in was clean and comfortable, with a great view of the street and its goings-on. The breakfast was wonderful, but if you are staying for a week or more (like we did), you could grow tired of the same breakfast every day, so mix it up by going out for breakfast on occasion. THE STAFF IS AMAZING! Sandra was at the front desk most of the time we were there and she was helpful (excellent at directions, great choices for dinner) and funny at the same time. Hassan, Dar and Haffid (gentlemen, if you are reading this, we are so sorry if we got the spellings wrong) were wonderful as well, always making you feel as if you were the only guests. And the hotel is centrally located to almost anything you need. It's been a month since our return, but we still have France and Hotel Caron on the brain.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Caron at the beginning of August, arrived from London via Eurostar, short walk from the Saint Paul Metro to a warm welcome and a lovely room (which was ready for us when we arrived at lunchtime). Without exception all of the staff were friendly, helpful and you get the sense they really do care about you having a good stay. The rooms aren't huge but very well designed: modern bathroom, good air conditioning, really quiet, the free mini-bar of soft drinks and snacks is a great idea and lovely L'Occitane en Provence products - plus the bed was great and we slept perfectly. You couldn't better the location - we walked everywhere - and you can pick up a really good Paris Marais Map. We will definitely be making this our new Paris home from home on future visits.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2012

We stayed at the hotel Caron at the beginning and the end of our trip. We first arrived before our room was ready and Sandra at the front desk made got us coffee and made us feel welcome. She and all of the staff were lovely and helpful. The hotel was redone two years ago The first room, on the second floor, was clean, modern, and small (something we had been told about in Paris). Wifi worked well and the bathroom was nice. The minibar is full of soft drinks and some snacks all included in the room charge.

Before we returned I called Sandra and asked her about a larger room on the sixth floor (I learned about it from friends). She said that she had already put us into a larger room on the fifth floor (FYI- only 3 rooms on a floor except six where there are only 2). It was great for our last three nights.

The neighborhood is great. We were two blocks from the st. Paul metro.

Only suggestion from my wife: the rooms need a full length mirror! The only one we found was in the elevator.

It's a lovely place. Good value.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 31 July 2012

I stayed at this Hotel for two weeks in June 2012.

In 2010 the hotel was entirely renovated. You will have a new lift, which is efficient, with a modern bathroom and modern room fittings, including good air-conditioning.

I found that even for a two week stay, the rooms are adequate in size, unless you plan to visit Paris and sit in your room all day. There are three rooms per floor; the rooms number "1" are larger than "2" or "3" by a few square metres, and also have a bit more efficient use of space by avoiding irregular wall shapes. There is a shower but no bath.

The wardrobe space is tight but sufficient. There is more than adequate space for suitcases and shopping, along the front window wall beside the desk (see photo). The minibar is tiny but replenished free of charge each day. The room maid is efficient, and the room is quiet and in good order. Towels, bedsheets etc are clean and good quality.

The staff is perfect in English and really professional. You will get to know them, and will feel you have an identity in a hotel of this scale. Restaurant bookings, airport transfers, no problem.

The Marais is a good choice for location. There are weekend markets, interesting and varied shopping, Place des Vosges, many cafes and brasseries, and the metro at St Paul is just around the corner at 100 metres. The adjacent St Catherine square is charming (see photo). The Metro at Bastille is also easily reached, and offers several metro lines for direct access, for example, to Blde Haussman, if you want to explore further afield.

Almost newly fitted out, with great staff, in such a prime location, at this price point, the Hotel Caron must be a highly recommended choice in Paris.

Room Tip: Larger rooms are numbered "1" on each floor
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2012

One thing I really liked about Hotel Caron was the "no baloney" attitude of the hotel staff. We were in the front door our room in about 5 minutes after arriving. We were able to make pit stops to drop off shopping and freshen up quickly and smoothly. Also, because we were in the great Marais district, shopping and eating was fun. I couldn't believe my luck when I saw 6 men's shirt stores within 100 metres of the hotel's front door.

Room Tip: All rooms are remarkably quiet given the proximity to a major thoroughfare.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I cannot believe I just spent 190E per night on this.

This was my sixth trip to Paris, so obviously I am aware that the rooms can be smaller than ideal, but mine was literally EIGHT FEET WIDE. (No, I am not exaggerating.)

There is nothing horrible about the hotel, but you need to know in advance that you are booking basic accommodations with small rooms. I will stay elsewhere when next in Paris.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo