La Brulerie de Belleville
Review Highlights
LOVED their Saturday morning class on "cupping" (coffee tasting) that includes a free bag of coffee!

Reviewed October 6, 2015

from US$103.50
from US$112.30
from US$88.00
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Best coffee in Paris in my opinion, well apart from all the other tourist cafes. Ordered monthly subscription online. The package was missing at first, the belleville re-sent the coffee with no charge(THANKS). No problem since.

1  Thank HeartOnBits
Albin D, Responsable relations clients at La Brulerie de Belleville, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Oh Thank you so much!
Have a wonderful day!

Reviewed April 9, 2018

Great coffee and great pieces of advice from the very generous and kind Milou.
Thank you for the great coffee and good Pain d'épices.

Reviewed October 1, 2016 via mobile

On Saturdays at 11am they offer a tasting class where you can learn about the coffee sourcing, roasting and taste different varieties that they produce. Mostly beans from South America. Very informative class and the coffee is delicious! Highly recommend for coffee lovers who are interested in third wave / artisanal / independent coffees.

Reviewed October 6, 2015

Early this year, I started a search for coffee roasters in Paris, hoping to find a higher quality of coffee amongst these professionals in the field. It was during that search that I discovered the coffee roasters at Belleville Brulerie and their Saturday morning class on on the fine art of coffee "cupping" or coffee tasting.

Learning to evaluate coffee in the same way as professional coffee buyers sounded right up my alley. I am always on the lookout for unusual and interesting things to do in Paris, and I was intrigued to discover what new things they could teach me about one of my favorite beverages. Add to that, I had recently starting attending more serious wine-tasting events, and I was interested see how techniques of wine-tasting compared with those of coffee-tasting.

So I called the Brulerie to make sure that there was still availability, paid online via their website and then showed up the following Saturday morning at 11:30am, ready for a coffee adventure.

That day, there were eight participants in all, and after a short introduction, the course officially began. None of us knew what to expect, so we watched as the cups of coffee were prepared and the various rules for stage one of the tasting were explained. Then we started circling around to each cup, following the guidelines for that stage, writing down our personal observations and then discussing them as a group. This was followed by instructions for the second round of tasting, then a repeat of circling around to each cup, noting our impressions, and then discussing our findings from stage two. The same pattern was repeated again with stage three, and following the final stage, there was an extended question and answer period to clarify any remaining questions about the tasting, the beans, the way coffee is grown, their business, etc.

I am purposefully not revealing what was expected of us at each stage, because that is part of the fun and discovery of the tasting. But it is an unusual and fun experience that I highly recommend to any coffee lover. I learned a lot, not only about cupping, but also about my particular tastes and preferences in coffee. And it was also interesting to compare my own observations with the differing tastes and preferences in the group - especially at the end when each participant often made very different choices in selecting which free bag of coffee they chose to take home.

Please note that, just like in wine-tasting, participants are requested not to wear perfume or any scents that might interfere with anyone's ability to effectively smell the coffee.

According to their website, tastings are limited to eight participants and the session lasts approximately 60 to 90 minutes.

Note: I attended the session in French, however, as some of their staff speak English, I suggest that you call the shop to see what arrangements are made for English speakers.

1  Thank Renee S
Reviewed November 11, 2014

If you're a somewhat serious coffee-enthusiast you'll not be disappointed by the Brulerie. Make sure you grab a bag of beans with you, and a coffee to go.

It's located on the corner across from the wonderful Parc des Buttes-Chaumont, which is a must-visit location during spring/summer, and a fantastic place to enjoy a good coffee.

2  Thank Magnús S