“Cannot fault anything about it”
Review of Bistrot Paul Chene

Bistrot Paul Chene
Ranked #323 of 17,885 Restaurants in Paris
Price range: US$21 - US$71
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Trocadero
Description: The kitchen staff remains under the direction of Philippe Mercier who has been in the position for Established in 1959 by Paul Chene chef cuisinier by training, and located in the heart of the Trocadero district of Paris, the restaurant 'Paul Chene' is recognized as an institute of traditional French cuisine. The high standards set by Paul Chene as a celebration of regional products and exceptional quality of service is perpetuated by its owner Harold Audouin.
Reviewed 3 March 2012

On a recent trip to Paris my boyfriend and I ate at Paul Chene. I cannot fault anything about the evening, the service was great and the food was exceptional. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting Paris

Reviewed 2 March 2012

I took my girlfriend for dinner their tonight, great atmosphere, small and intimate. Food was excellent, great portions.
As for the service, best personal service i have ever recieved. Harold is very attentive, helpful, passionate about his job, service and the food he is presenting. I recommend their personal cognac, excellent.
Favorite spot in Paris without question.
I had the stew, extemely tender and flavourful, my girlfriend had the fish, she loved it. Dessert was the perfect end to an amazing dinner. Everything is made in house it shows.!!!!!!!!!! Merci

Reviewed 18 February 2012

On recommendation by a good friend we had booked dinner at Paul Chene on a February Friday night. On entering you get directly into the small welcoming dinning room. There is room for 20 people or less. We found cheeses and truffles on display together with a very deliciously looking tarte tatin. All looping very promissing.
M. Audoin - the proprietor - with his charming and humourous personality will take good care of you throughout your dinner.

On studying the carte you - being a devoted francophile foodie - realize you have a serious problem. There are simply so many must try dishes that it will be extremely difficult to choose which ones it will be tonight. We'll be returning to try more dishes. Although the servings are very generous and you might just stay with a few, we decided to go all the way and enjoy it lasts!

Before the entré a coup of green lobster bisque was served. An impressive construction delivered to you from of a very impressive kitchen.

For the entré we tried fried foie gras chop and eggs in cocote. The foie gras was served with sauce based on an orange-cognac liquer. The liquer turns out to be family produce. This is the only place you can get it. Very delicious dishes simply making you want more. The egged are served with truffle sliced at the table.

For the main course we opted Luté of lobster and Hare Royale. These too are very delicious. The lobster is served straight from the oven making the lobster and it's sauce steaming once you break the puff pastry cover.
The hare is cooked in a unique way for a very long time - some 48 hours. It comes with a slice of foie gras. That is quite an interesting combination that goes very well. You will not find it easy to tell which is the most tender - the foie gras or the hare. The hare is served with very good mashed potatoes and a quite intense sauce. The combination of the sauce, foie gras and hare makes you forget about everything else in the world. An unsurpassed dish not to be forgotten. I surely will not

The place being very impressive and the recommendation fully honoured we decided to move on. My wife had an orange liquer soufflé. It had some sort of cake or biscuit on the bottom that had soaked in the same orange liquer. Both making the desert very tempting.
I did go for cheeses first and then finished with crepe Suzette.
The cheese having been on display all evening were very tender. A good selection of cow, chèvre, and brebis cheeses forms a natural suit to the impressive dinner.
The crepe being four large ones were also cooked in the orange liquer. The crepes were like the soufflé very tempting.

We sincerely recommend eating at Paul Chene.

Reviewed 6 February 2012

We wanted to go to a traditional french restaurant and went to Paul Chene on the advice of hotel reception staff where we stayed over the weekend. Restaurant itself is rather small and has got an outdated decor. The owner Harold is very welcoming, however allowed himself some faux pas trying to be funny. All diners were tourists like us. Given that it was a saturday night it was a worrying sign for me. Nevertheless, I ignored my instinct and hoped that it was one of those nights when no local decided to eat traditional food. Menus did not have prices on them and our dinner came to 265 euros for two two glasses of house champagne, a bottle of wine, 2 starters and main courses and a single dessert. I dont mind paying high price, but unfortunately in this case food wasnt good enough to justify this. I really enjoyed my starter of Rossini baked eggs which were delicious. Apart from that everything was rather salty, my husband didnt enjoy his food especially his main pain course of pan fried chicken with morels sauce. For the main course I chose Lute of Lobster on Harrold's recommendation. Although the dish itself was tasty (a bit salty again), my main complaint is about the amount of lobster. There was definitely not a whole lobster in that dish as I was assured by Harrold and for 49 euros I expected to have a whole lobster. Traditional tarte tattin was rather dissappointing too. Overall, I dont think I would recommend this restaurant as it is far too expensive. One cant help but feel being ripped off...

3  Thank Firuza M
hjaudouin, Propriétaire at Bistrot Paul Chene, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2012

Dear Firuza M,
The Paul Chêne restaurant thanks you very much for your comments!
We are doing our best in order to satisfy our guests, so that they can share a memorable moment in our restaurant. We are very sorry to learn that your meal at Paul Chene was not as nice as you had expected.
We are very surprised that the food you ate at Paul Chene was ’average’. Our guests really enjoy our fresh products, our traditional French recipes, our homemade cuisine, as they often mention it on most of their Trip Advisor comments. However, if one of our guests does not truly enjoy a course, we are always glad to change it with another one she/he prefers best, so she/he can truly enjoy the time spent with us. We are also very surprised that you have not made any remarks to our staff ; we would have been glad to please you while you were with us.
We can confirm that the Paul Chene Luté de Homard is indeed prepared with a an entier and fresh lobster.
Concerning our range of prices, please consider that all our dishes and sauces are homemade and prepared with First quality products.
Please accept all our apologies if you were disappointed in any way. We will always be happy to welcome you again at Paul Chêne.
Regards, Harold Audouin

Reviewed 26 January 2012

Even if the food had not been as perfectly prepared and served as it was, it would have been worth it just to chat and banter with Harold. He made my wife and I feel like honored guests and made sure that everything was perfect. We certainly appreciated his explanation of the provenance of each of the dishes we ordered as well as all of the other selections on the menu. The crowning touch was the orange cognac he poured for us at the end of the meal which is produced by his family. Paul Chene is the very definition of fine dining and classic French cuisine, and Harold is an owner passionate about preserving the family traditions and conveying that passion to those who dine in this wonderful intimate restaurant.

2  Thank len126