1,713 results
All reviews old city privilege room walled city swimming pool free parking la cite minute walk good size nespresso machine excellent location breakfast buffet standard room cassoulet car park nice pool tea making facilities lovely hotel
Reviewed June 22, 2016

It is overrated and not really at the door to the City, Requires a 10 minutes walk to get to the Carcassonne Castle. Unfriendly front desk staff and the restaurant is poorly staffed requiring lots of patience to be served. The room was small and the view from the window is just a tree obscuring the view of the castle. This hotel is just an Ibis by a different name.

Room Tip: Visit the room assigned before accepting it.
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank EDUARDO H
Reviewed June 16, 2016

We spent 3 nights at this hotel and no way is this a 4 star hotel. Our room was spotlessly clean and maintained throughout. Holiday storage space was minimal so we had to live out of the suitcases and there was no fridge. A kettle was provided. The bed was not comfortable. Breakfast was good but the staff in reception were uninterested. When I wanted to eat in for dinner, I explained to the receptionist that I was allergic to garlic and asked about the evening menu. ' I don't know, do I? I am not the chef!' But he didn't offer to find out either. When we tried later, he impatiently put us in

touch with one of the waitresses who did find out but he was still annoyed at being asked. The food was appallingly cooked and, although the waitress said she would tell the chef that my husband found his meal inedible, there was no other response. However, when we were leaving, they were putting on a business lunch and the food was of a very different quality to that which they served us. I think this hotel is good for business but poor for tourists and that holiday companies should not use it...

Room Tip: But I could not get the wifi to work.
2  Thank Ann B
Reviewed June 8, 2016

We had a lovely room (88) on the top floor overlooking the swimming pool (which wasn't in use whilst we were there). Very comfortable bed, and the room large enough for our 5 night stay, with safe, fridge, settee and plenty of hanging space. Furthest point from reception but worth the walk.

We ate out on our first night in the walled city but the weather during our stay was cold and wet, so we dined for our remaining 4 nights in the hotel and had an excellent meal every night - salad starter was exceptionally good. Bar area not particularly large but it suited us for our pre and post dinner drinks. We found the staff friendly and helpful.

Easy walk to the old city but also a relatively easy walk to the new city and well signposted to the Canal Midi. Both old and new cities worth exploring. For any stay longer than say 3 days, you will probably appreciate a car to explore further afield. We followed a set route from a guide and had a very interesting day out visiting a cave "The Gouffre Giant" Narbonne and the Med also an easy day trip.

1  Thank JohnLightwater
Reviewed June 5, 2016

We were travelling from Barcelona to Bordeaux and decided a stopover in Carcassonne would be nice. With limited time/capacity to do a long online search and I made the rookie mistake of opting for a 'decent' chain - Mercure, rather than going cheap and cheerful with Ibis (same group, different brand) at around half the price.

For 138 euros we got:
A nice location, convenient for exploring the city.
A complimentary glass of wine each (no complaints there!)
Clean bedding, good shower, and a decent night's sleep.
Breakfast. Sort of.

The three most important things, bed, sleep, shower were all fine - but I know I'd get that at any Ibis - same group, different chain, for about half the price. I wasn't, however, expecting some of the corner-cutting that you might get lower down the price scale.
Things like:

Disposable 'cups' (reminded me of yogurt pots). Two. That's your lot, matey. Don't go mad and have more than one diddly cup each for your stay.
Wooden stirrers instead of real, live metal teaspoons. Really?
Carpets/corridors - I don't know what products they're using, but the smell was odd and a little bit unpleasant.

Breakfast. Oh dear. To be fair, the croissants were very nice, which is at least one good thing. I try to do the right thing, and enjoy muesli with fresh fruit and yogurt for breakfast. Most hotels manage to do this quite well. Not here. No muesli (at reception they said I must have been mistaken. I wasn't). Fruit salad had something 'off' in it - it was fizzing in my mouth as I ate it. I think it was the pineapple, but I couldn't be sure. I reported it, it was taken away, but no apology, nothing else offered. Great. Plain yogurt for breakfast. At that point I forced down a croissant (!) and vowed to eat healthily tomorrow...

My OH had the cooked options; they were ok, but nothing to write home about, and again,about what you'd expect to get at the lower end of the budget scale. Self service for everything (I'd expect tea/coffee service as a standard at this price point); staff kept the place keen but weren't interested in engaging with clients.

In fact,we've had better rooms and breakfast for significantly less money in equally beautiful, historic or important places (London; Dubrovnik).

Disappointing overall. I don't mind budget chains at all, not one little bit. I do mind paying middle of the range price bracket for them though. We've used Mercure years ago, and found them good value, so I don't know if the brand has changed overall, or if this is just a one off. I won't be bothering to find out, though. I might as well go proper 'budget' and save my money for a good meal out instead next time.

Sorry, Porte de la Cite. You just weren't my (disposable) cup of tea.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel to find better value
4  Thank PoppyMadragora
Reviewed June 1, 2016

Yes, this hotel is a 10 minute stroll into the old city and you can see the walls from the hotel, BUT the smallest room and with no room to put anything. 5-6 hangers in open cupboard with narrow shelves down side, 2 bedside tables and that's it. We lived out of our cases, one the luggage rack/seating bench and used top of said cases for more storage space. Bathroom was big and nice, big enough for some storage shelves etc. but again nothing there. Used little stool to put some cosmetics on!
Very firm (hard) beds and it was hot & stuffy as air con didn't work (didn't in dining room the night before either).
Paper cups and wooden stirrers - how can this be 4 star ?
No fridge.
Eventually noticed safe inset into wall, got key (50euro deposit) plus instructions complete with drawing on how to use it from reception. Couldn't get it to work so took key back to reception and got out money back. Eventually found out from fellow travellers that you should ignore the 3 round holes on left and only use the right-hand hole! So we were given wrong instructions! Men on reception were pretty stiff and miserable, women a bit better.
Redeeming feature was breakfast. Huge choice and nice to see local produce. Superb cheeses (shame we weren't served these at our v.average dinner the night before (courtesy of Riviera Travel).
For the price charged by Riviera I think they should consider using a better quality hotel although I can appreciate it's a good location. If they use better hotel then they should reduce the price.
Carcassonne is wonderful by the way.

Room Tip: Don't get the bog standard room as v.v.small
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple